Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5 plastic balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 plastic balls
    Posted: 07/28/2014 at 8:10pm
Our friend the theologian and I had a chance hookup in KC this weekend.  He had 5 kinds of brand new, plastic (unusually) white balls, all ittf approved.  Sorry if you were going to do this and I'm stealing your Thunder, theo.

The first ball he got out was a xushoafa.  It struck me as clunky and I hated it.  It was seamless, and it played basically the same as the palio seamless unapproved I had tried.

The second was a nittaku seamless (I think).  It was a little better, but still not my favorite.  Approaching playable.

The third was a palio.  I think it was seamless.  It was like the xushoafa I think. 

The fourth was a dhs seamed.  I thought it played pretty well, or at least it felt a lot better than what I had been using.

The third was a doublefish seamed.  I thought it slightly better than the dhs.  Darn decent.  I'd be happy to carry them.  I still prefer cell, at least at this point.

Generally I thought they felt harder and heavier, no surprise.  Maybe they didn't take as much spin, but they hit solidly.  I noticed they didn't seem to bite the table as hard.  My short backspin serves were skidding out like a grasscourt, staying very low.  If I hit it right, they were barely coming up an inch. It struck me I could really keep these balls low and short on the serve.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Sponsored Links

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

The first ball he got out was a xushoafa.  It struck me as clunky and I hated it.  It was seamless, and it played basically the same as the palio seamless unapproved I had tried.

The second was a nittaku seamless (I think).  It was a little better, but still not my favorite.  Approaching playable.

The third was a palio.  I think it was seamless.  It was like the xushoafa I think. 

The fourth was a dhs seamed.  I thought it played pretty well, or at least it felt a lot better than what I had been using.

The third was a doublefish seamed.  I thought it slightly better than the dhs.  Darn decent.  I'd be happy to carry them.  I still prefer cell, at least at this point.
SadistiClown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SadistiClown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 8:30pm
the nittaku had a seam
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 8:49pm
Yes, had a great time with Cole; a pleasant surprise to see him in my area.

The Nittaku does have a seam and it by far has the lowest quality control of all I've tried. Every other ball is out of round and wobbles in flight. This was confirmed by other players including Jeff Johnston, one of the top hardbat players in the nation.

I like the DHS pretty well but like Cole, I prefer the Double Fish over all others. I played with the Double Fish again yesterday. Used the same ball for an hour and the floor was concrete (indoor tennis courts). The durability seems superb.

The XSF is growing on me but it's noticeably different. I haven't given much of a chance to the Palio yet (I HATED the Palio prototype).

As I wrote in another thread, the seamless versions bounce much higher than the new seamed balls when you do a side by side bounce test. I demonstrated this to Cole and he noted the same. Also, the seamless versions most closely bounce like the celluloid balls in a side by side bounce test.

Double Fish: excellent ball.
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

The Nittaku does have a seam and it by far has the lowest quality control of all I've tried. Every other ball is out of round and wobbles in flight. This was confirmed by other players including Jeff Johnston, one of the top hardbat players in the nation.

Was this Nittaku ball made in China or Japan?

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 11:30pm
Chinese Nittaku is similar to DHS. Japanese Nittaku plays better but not yet sold generally but since i have only seen one of them i can't say anything about durability. A hardbat player is not going to have the same concerns about spin. Seamless balls turn the sport into badminton but we also found they bounce higher.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 11:42pm
I bet it is the Nittaku SHA 40+. The Nittaku Premium 40+ won't hit the market until this fall.

Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 12:18am
I was referring to the Chinese Nittaku ball
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 12:36am
Any pictures of the balls after the session? Do they pick up marks as easily as celluloid balls?

Well, found a review with a picture by a Singaporean for the DFish 40+. It picks up marks as celluloid ones do.

Edited by zeio - 07/29/2014 at 12:43am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 12:50am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Any pictures of the balls after the session? Do they pick up marks as easily as celluloid balls?

Well, found a review with a picture by a Singaporean for the DFish 40+. It picks up marks as celluloid ones do.

I'd say they pick up marks as easily if not more so.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 2:01am
That looks to be the case here. I wonder if they will turn yellow just like celluloid as time goes by.

How does the new ball feel to the eyes during play? Does the brighter, cooler white stand out more or put more stress on the eyes?
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 2:21am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

How does the new ball feel to the eyes during play? Does the brighter, cooler white stand out more or put more stress on the eyes?

Personally I think it stands out more and is easier to see and track.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 9:04am
Just holding a plastic ball in your hand with a cell one, and the plastic one looks larger.  I agree that it is easier to see in flight but in my experience marks up the same way.  Last weekend I played with Joola, DHS and DF, and they all felt the same, my guess is they are all actually made by DHS, or at least at the same factory in China.  My experience is the same as most other people who comment.  At first play you can tell the difference immediately.  The second impression is that it is not that different, you will adjust ok.  But the more you play with them, the more things you find that you will need to do differently owing to reduced spin, altered trajectory, etc.  It will not ruin the sport but do not underestimate the amount of adjustments needed.  The plastic seamed balls do not sound broken.  The seamed Nittaku Japan ball was one that Jim Butler had been given.  It came in a small box of just one ball!!!!  I don't know if that is because they are only being distributed to a handful of people or if that is a harbinger of outrageous price to come.  I have heard they will be generally for sale in October.  It played more like a cell ball than any of the others, but will still take some adjustment.  

TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 9:30am
DF balls are the cheapest at the moment. I mainly play with DHS and broke in an hour of play. The opaque of both balls are about the same so I will be surprised if DF is more durable. Will play with it more and see.  
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 10:14am
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

DF balls are the cheapest at the moment. I mainly play with DHS and broke in an hour of play. The opaque of both balls are about the same so I will be surprised if DF is more durable. Will play with it more and see.  

Where are you buying the DF poly balls?
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 11:24am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

Where are you buying the DF poly balls?

Taobao through a shopping agent.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 3:13pm
I'm getting the DF balls on ttnpp...and I just ordered five more boxes.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 4:15pm

this? http://ttnpp.com/store/3-stars/733-double-fish-new-cellulose-acetate-material-3-stars-ball.html
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

this? http://ttnpp.com/store/3-stars/733-double-fish-new-cellulose-acetate-material-3-stars-ball.html

Yes
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 2:35pm

Can I buy one or two balls from you later on? just want to test them. Thanks!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Sure. I also have plenty of the DHS version right now if you want to try those

Edited by the_theologian - 07/30/2014 at 4:00pm
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 4:03pm

I was wondering that also. I think ttmpp gets me on shipping living here in the states.

But I've always liked double fish balls in the past. Always felt like you get good quality and an affordable price. Nice to hear that their ball plays decent.

Now we just need more suppliers or for it to be more readily available.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 4:16pm
I paid less than $6 for shipping and stuff always arrives quickly.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 6:14pm

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Sure. I also have plenty of the DHS version right now if you want to try those

Maybe I will buy one DHS and one DoubleFish so I can compare. My clubmates will certainly be interested to try them as well.

Please let me know when DF balls arrive.

Thanks!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 6:32pm
PM sent JimT
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 7:01pm
The first time I hit around with the DHS 3 star poly ball, for around 10 mins. I thought these aren't so bad I can get use to them, but the next time I hit around with them I thought wow these are crappy. Anyone else experience this ?
Shifter
buy&sellblades View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote buy&sellblades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 7:19pm
all of these balls break too fast. i haven't had one reach 5 hours of play yet.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2014 at 11:51pm

I played with the Xushaofa New Seamless Poly Ball - 3 star;

Xushaofa

We compared it to the Gambler Platinum 3 Star ball.

The Xushaofa is more than 40+ compared to the Gambler, maybe 42 or 43 mm.

The Xushaofa was significantly slower than the Gambler.

Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2014 at 1:10am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

I played with the Xushaofa New Seamless Poly Ball - 3 star;

Xushaofa

We compared it to the Gambler Platinum 3 Star ball.

The Xushaofa is more than 40+ compared to the Gambler, maybe 42 or 43 mm.

The Xushaofa was significantly slower than the Gambler.

The link is pre approved 3 star balls with red marking. It is bigger than the ittf approved black marking XSF 3 stars. The red is close to 40.3mm and the black about 40.2mm (can't be 42 or 43mm). Palio is similar. And both DHS and DF seamed balls are smaller at around 40.1 to 40.15mm. I found 1 star DHS the smallest not much above 40mm. Old balls are more like 39.5mm. 
c4runner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c4runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2014 at 3:29am
Yesterday I received my parcel from tt11 with new donic 40+ 3*** polyballs and I was eager to try them. We spent two hours with my coach playing with new balls. As was mentioned above new balls are a little bit heavier and slow
Thus all stroke become less complicated to make, serves are easy to receive.. I have not decided yet is it good or not... :)) Geek 
Comparing new balls from donic and dhs I practically find no difference. same bounce, same sound, same slowness :))
Also I have new seamless balls from palio and XSF that I bought two month ago in ttnpp. The only one thing that I can say about them - it's crap.. ball might break after 20-30 minutes of playing. 

just my two cents 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic