FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The future of defence?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The future of defence?
    Posted: 08/15/2014 at 7:29pm
Im surprised that no-one seems to have picked up this match:

Can we expect to see more of Artur Abusev?  How far do you think he might go?  (And no, this is not a thread about the blasted poly ball.)
Sponsored Links

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 7:37pm
is the poly ball used in this video? - just curious.

very active modern defenders btw.

Their pushes do not look spinny but its hard to tell, chops and loops definitely have loads of spin on them.

ps. those annoying people yelling in the background need to be penalized.

Edited by DreiZ - 08/15/2014 at 7:42pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 7:45pm
He's a classic defender. His chops are good but he needs to become a modern defender and attack a LOT more with his forehand if he has any hopes of going far. Classic defense is dead at the top.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

He's a classic defender. His chops are good but he needs to become a modern defender and attack a LOT more with his forehand if he has any hopes of going far. Classic defense is dead at the top.
===========================

Need to be able to attack with backhand also, like Muramatsu Yuto.

He looks very young, may have far more room to improve.

Edited by skip3119 - 08/15/2014 at 9:23pm
skip3119
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

He looks very young, may have far more room to improve.
He's fifteen.
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2014 at 2:28am
This boy has a good potential but I think his chop technique has to improve because a lot of his balls come back to high. Of course a high ball can be very dangerous but it has to be very long. He doesn't seem to control very well the length and the height of his chopping balls.
Also, his backhand pimples doesn't seem to be very deceptive. If he uses short pimples, he will have to adapt his chopping technique (too much pushes, he must go under the ball and get a better contact with it), if he uses LP, he will have to change.
His attacking forehand is not bad and if he uses short pimples, it will be very interesting if he learns to hit sometimes like Hou Yingchao for instance, that would prevent his opponent to be too confortable in the game.
I have to say that his opponent from Romania plays very well and I'm sure he is very good against defensive players, which is not obvious with young players who often don't know how to play against such a style.
We will see what will happen with this boy but sometimes, it is never too late, look at Shiono.... 

Edited by kakapo - 08/16/2014 at 2:30am
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2014 at 7:51pm
Defence is dead at top level. Of course, he can make it to top 200 in the world in 20 years from now, if he is lucky!

Edited by ChichoFicho - 08/18/2014 at 7:52pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2014 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Defence is dead at top level. Of course, he can make it to top 200 in the world in 20 years from now, if he is lucky!
Let's see...a quick look at the world rankings:
19. Joo
33. Gionis
47. Shiono
57. Chen
76. Filus
86. Muramatsu
Did I miss somebody? Also, Li Kewei in the US (rating 2750) has beaten Eugen Wang (#65 in the world) twice this year; he was around 80 in the world at some point.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2014 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Let's see...a quick look at the world rankings:
19. Joo
33. Gionis
47. Shiono
57. Chen
76. Filus
86. Muramatsu
Did I miss somebody? Also, Li Kewei in the US (rating 2750) has beaten Eugen Wang (#65 in the world) twice this year; he was around 80 in the world at some point.

Hey Chicho

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 9:12am
Many of the defenders in the top 100 developed their offensive forehands late in life. If he has serious potential, his style won't prevent him from being in the top 50. His training partners might...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 11:42am
Isn't there a  French Junior who's also a modern defender. Don't recall his name.
I enjoy seeing good defensive players but I think attack players have the advantage. 
A high ranked defensive player told me without frictionless pips there is no way to stop a good looper.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 12:07pm
Reaching top 100 is unrealistic. He needs to be extremely talented and smart to achieve it. The only defenders that played at such level for the past 20 years are Chtchetinine and Matsushita. When Chtchetinine retires, that's going to be probably the end of the defensive style at high level.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 12:13pm

Reaching top 100 is unrealistic. He needs to be extremely talented and smart to achieve it. The only defenders that played at such level for the past 20 years are Chtchetinine and Matsushita. When Chtchetinine retires, that's going to be probably the end of the defensive style at high level.
I am not saying it is realistic for this kid to reach top 100 because it is difficult to judge from one video. I do not know the kid, his determination and his coaches.
Did you see my post above? There are currently 6 defenders in the top 100 (and Chtchetinine is not) though I did not look further down from  101-200 as there probably quite a few more guys. How can you say that when Chtchetinine retires it's the end of the defensive style? And I would like to argue that the best and most consistant defender for the past 20 years was Joo. No other defender was ranked as high as Joo and had his achievements.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 12:20pm
Most people tend to refer to Joo and the likes of him as defenders. They are not. Have you ever seen Weixing or Gionis chop with their forehand? Never. Joo started to play more defensive oriented style only when he was not fast enough to play loop vs loop. The only world class defender who is still active is Chtchetinine. His peak ranking was ~40, if I am not mistaken.

A few years ago there was a very talented junior defender from Sweden. He was way more talented than this one. Never managed to adapt to the speed and the spin of the men's game though.

Edited by ChichoFicho - 08/19/2014 at 12:23pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 12:21pm
Muramatsu Yuto.
Shiono Masato.
skip3119
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 12:25pm

Most people tend to refer to Joo and the likes of him as defenders. They are not. Have you ever seen Weixing or Gionis chop with their forehand? Never. Joo started to play more defensive oriented style only when he was not fast enough to play loop vs loop. The only world class defender who is still active is Chtchetinine. His peak ranking was ~40, if I am not mistaken.

A few years ago there was a very talented junior defender from Sweden. He was way more talented than this one. Never managed to adapt to the speed and the spin of the men's game though.
Gionis definitely chops on his forehand.  Chen Weixing does as well, though he more often chops with his backhand on the forehand side, which is IMO the same thing.

The other point here is that the reason there are not more defenders in the top 100 is not purely about the style - it is also about the fact that player are not pushed towards it.  It's a miracle that Muromatsu likes to chop - he is built to loop the ball very powerfully and will probably be the most powerful Japanese forehand for many years to come.

Edited by NextLevel - 08/19/2014 at 12:26pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 12:25pm

Yes, Joo and Gionis do not chop with their forehand but they are still considered defenders. Usually the term modern defender is used for their style: backhand chop with long pips and forehand attack. Whereas Chtchetinine is a classic defender who chops on both wings and his style might die out. As with every style (attack or defence) there is an evolution. Take a look at attackers 20 years ago, do people still play the same style?
I have to disagree with you that Joo and the likes are not defenders. Wink

My Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 12:28pm

There were also a heck of a lot of very talented attackers that never went anywhere.

My Feedback
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Gionis definitely chops on his forehand.  Chen Weixing does as well, though

Yes.
Ma Lin also chops/pushes sometimes with his forehand at serve return.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 12:38pm
It is nice to see this kid.  He's fifteen.  He will get better.  Hope there are more like him.  I disagree with ChichoFicho about this, mainly because I think that Joo and Chen are most certainly defenders.  This young guy will need to learn to attach more with his forehand.  He will.

By the way, I was also pretty impressed with how well the opponent played against the defender, since it seems unlikely that he could have played very much against that style.

It seems table tennis is alive and well.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 12:43pm

The other point here is that the reason there are not more defenders in the top 100 is not purely about the style - it is also about the fact that player are not pushed towards it.
I agree that this is the main reason as there just aren't enough coaches out there teaching or advocating a defensive style. Anywhere you look kids are taught how to loop.

My Feedback
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

The other point here is that the reason there are not more defenders in the top 100 is not purely about the style - it is also about the fact that player are not pushed towards it.
I agree that this is the main reason as there just aren't enough coaches out there teaching or advocating a defensive style. Anywhere you look kids are taught how to loop.
===========================

Completely agree with that.
When 95%, or more, young players are learning how to loop and attack, what do you expect?
Of course, the top 100 players are loaded with attackers.
skip3119
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 3:20pm
Yes, that's why it's cool to see any young guy playing this way at this level.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic