Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga Emerald VPS (Updated with review)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Emerald VPS (Updated with review)
    Posted: 08/22/2014 at 6:10am
Stiga Emerald VPS

Weight: 92 grams
Handle: legend flared
Thickness: approx. 6.1-6.2mm
Plies: 5 (ebony-spruce-ayous-spruce-ebony)
Speed: OFF
Hardness: Stiff
Test Rubbers: Stiga Airoc M max, DHS Neo Provincial H3, Globe 999 National

Finally! after almost 4 months of waiting and bugging Stiga to give me this piece of art for review, I got this on my mailbox. The Emerald or "Green Ebenholz" is a complete overhaul of the preview Ebenholz 5 blade. Yes, they have the same wood composition but I will showing some of their differences. I have obtained also an Ebenholz 5 which Stiga provided for because I am very sure a lot of people will be curious on what are the similarities and differences of both blades. 

Stiga has spent a great deal of effort in making the packaging of the Emerald VPS into a more elegant and classy look. The Emerald, out of the box, is unlike anything I have seen from Stiga. It boasts of a different logo design which departed from the usual plastic lens with blade name. It has been replaced by metal logo including the stick at the bottom of the handle. 

This was first adapted by the Infinity VPS blade in which the surface of the blade, instead of a thick NCT coating, they made the varnish thinner and spread all over the blade extending up to the neck and handle borders. It is smooth but you can feel the wood fibers more compared to the NCT coating of the Eb5 blade.  I theorize that Stiga has made the VPS blades this way because players wanted more feel on the blade at the same time offering some protection while removing and regluing rubbers on the blade. The handle of the Ebenholz 5 is rougher compared to that of the Emerald. I have been bugging Stiga to maybe try considering having a smoother handle and maybe they are starting to listen. Now if only they can sand the neck part of the handle then that would be perfect! 

The first pic from this part is the picture of the Emerald VPS while directly on top is the picture of  both Emerald (top) and Ebenholz 5 (bottom) on top of each other. At first look, differences may be negligible but on closer inspection you can find that the second layer of spruce on the Emerald VPS is darker in color. Either they dyed it or they used a burnt spruce to have a harder 2nd layer??? Also, you can see that the ebony wood top ply of both blades differ in thickness. The top ply for the Eb5 is thin while on the Emerald VPS, they increase the thickness of the top ply by parts of a millimeter. When I measured the approximate thickness, the Emerald has 6.1-6.2mm (approx.) while the Ebenholz 5 has approximately 5.8-5.9mm of thickness. Suprisingly, the Ebenholz 5 with having also a legend flared handle weighs only 84 grams! I have seen 83-84 gram Rosewood 5 blades in master flared but never Ebenholz 5 at this weight! The one I owned 3 yrs ago was 92 grams. I don't know if almost all of the newer batches of blades are as light as the one I have but if they do then praise Stiga! They may have increased the quality of their blades.

On a serious note, I glued the test rubbers and the Airoc M didn't feel that heavy despite having 68 grams uncut weight. I glued the globe 999 national which i have been using for a few months now and also the DHS Neo H3 Provincial replacing the Globe 999 national afterwards. I also glued the same test rubbers on the 84 gram Ebenholz 5 in order for me to have a better comparison of the 2 blades. The Emerald VPS with both rubbers glued was 200 grams in weight blaming partly on the thick amount of glue on the used Chinese rubbers and also the weight of those heavy rubbers. I was surprised that the 200 gram Emerald set up didn't feel that heavy. I have to say the blade is balanced unlike the Ebenholz 5 which tends to be head heavy with the same kind of rubbers glued on it. As of now, we all know that the Eb5 handle is hollow. For the Emerald, I am not sure it. I've been tapping the handle on its different points in order to hear different sounds when tapping different parts but I am not sure yet. 

The Emerald was very easy to use. It was bouncy on the first forehand to forehand drills. It doesn't have much vibration compared to the Ebenholz 5. Speedwise, I will rate the Emerald as OFF and not OFF+. I can say that it is fast but highly controllable. On some shots the Emerald felt faster than the Ebenholz 5 but on other times they seemed to be equal. The Emerald VPS is faster than the Rosewood 5 and Rosewood XO but slower than their 7 ply versions. Overall, the Emerald seems to be faster by a few notches. The difference between their speeds is very small. On power shots and loops, I could feel the Emerald has this hard woody feeling upon impact of the ball whereas the Ebenholz 5 has a stiffer, more crisp feel. The Ebenholz 5 feels harder than the Emerald VPS, even the Rosewood 5 is stiffer all because of the thick NCT coating of the mentioned blades. 

Looping-wise, the emerald was a better looping blade using the chinese rubbers because it was less stiff than the Ebenholz 5. The Eb5 was stronger for smashes and counter smashing, Emerald shines on counter loops, looping both near and middle distance from the table. If you want a more spin based game then go for Emerald, if you want a more smashing game with lesser spin then go for the Ebenholz 5. 

Many would be hesitant to buy this blade because it is expensive. It is much worth it because the performance is better than all the previous Stiga blades that I have owned, tried and reviewed even compared to my intensity nct which was my personal favorite. I think www.pingpongonline.com carries the Emerald VPS for $182 USD, the lowest I have seen while www.nexy.com carries this for $199 USD. Overall, this blade is awesome if you do not mind the price and maybe the weight.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 9:05am
A short recommendation for your test: Emerald needs harder rubbers (sponge). 
For example T05 fits much better than T05 FX in my eyes.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 9:09am
i'll be using airoc M mainly but will use globe 999 national afterwards and maybe dhs neo h3 provincial rubber
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 9:16am
I like the metal tags. It's about time Stiga switched up to better finishing touches like this. Some of their blades are NOT cheap.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
BB-Big View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB-Big Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 9:46am
I already own one with legend handle. Mine is 99 g. (I won't buy it if I know its weight.) I paired it with P7 and P5. Both in max thickness. Total weight is 194 g.

My short opinions (I am an amateur player so don't count on it too much.)
Pro:
 It's one of the most beautiful blade, great craftmanship.
 Handle is not hollowed so it gives me good weight balance.
 Great feedback and very stable. Loop underspin ball is easier than ever.
 Its good feedback combined with its weight make my stroke more stable.
Cons:
 Too heavy. I can't pair it with modern tensor rubbers in max thickness.
 Actually, weight is the only problems I have with this blade.

Edited by BB-Big - 08/22/2014 at 10:06am
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 9:48am
Oh, yes, I also like this tag and lens. The Emerald is really looking perfect.

It seems, that Stiga understood, that it was time, to think about the quality of their blades.
And the best: the Emerald is not only good for the showcase. It is also good for playing. Wink

This peace of art has a weight of 89g (also perfect). Big smile

Edited by Magic_M - 08/30/2014 at 8:08am
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 9:52am
Magic_M damn 89 grams only??? i think mine is 92 grams. need to weigh it tomorrow

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 10:17am
88,8g  Big smile
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 6:40pm
Woah! beautiful blade yogi!
Are you planning on doing the same review with Infinity VPS?

Edited by DreiZ - 08/22/2014 at 6:40pm
Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 8:32pm
Magic_M, master or legend flared? mine is legend

Dreiz, I have reviewed the Infinity VPS lasy year here Big smile

BB-Big View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB-Big Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 8:59pm
description from Stiga:

EMERALD VPS V

The Emerald VPS V - with Diamond Touch is a lightweight 5-ply offensive blade built around two hand-selected middle veneers that are special temperature treated (VPS-technology). This gives the blade a unique stability and combined with the new, beautiful green Ebenholz outer veneers, the Emerald VPS V offers a sensational feeling, ideal for offensive players who demands good speed combined with control. The final finish by the Diamond Touch technology gives the outer surface extra hardness and an incredibly smooth finish.

- Offensive lightweight 5-ply blade
- New green Ebenholz outer veneers with extra hardness
- Special temperature treated middle veneers (VPS) gives great stability
- Surface with extra hardness and smooth finish thanks to the Diamond Touch technology
- Built to suite today’s modern game: aggressive receives and powerful topspin shots

I just wonder how much weight mean light in Stiga term.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2014 at 4:00am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Magic_M, master or legend flared? mine is legend
Mine is also legend

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 7:07am
added pics for you to drool hehehe

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2014 at 9:02am
updated with initial review

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2014 at 9:28am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Many would be hesitant to buy this blade because it is expensive. It is much worth it because the performance is better than all the previous Stiga blades that I have owned, tried and reviewed even compared to my intensity nct which was my personal favorite. I think www.pingpongonline.com carries the Emerald VPS for $182 USD, the lowest I have seen while www.nexy.com carries this for $199 USD. Overall, this blade is awesome if you do not mind the price and maybe the weight.

it $121 at tabletennis11.com
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2014 at 11:08am
excluding 20% vat but still good enough. $162 USD is still lower than the ones I mentioned. the problem is their blades only come in straight and ana versions because the flared ones are out of stock

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 9:07pm
the Airoc M rubber was very good as a backhand rubber with the Emerald. In my part, as a backhand rubber the Airoc M was very spinny on this

kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 1:26am
sounds good, but expensive and i hate mint chocolate except rarely as ice cream.
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 8:47pm

Thanks again yogi for another fine review. It's great to see Stiga improving the quality of their blades. Who needs a Viscarea when we all can play with that beauty! :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 11:04pm
it plays as good as it looks

808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 12:42am
How does it compare to the Infinity?
BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 6:05am
very different because emerald feels harder, faster and has more solid feel on impact

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 6:44pm
Yogi,
I shouldn't ask as it might create an itch.  Have you ever tried the Hybrid Wood NCT? If yes how does it compare to the Emerald VPS?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 7:42pm
hybrid wood is faster and heavier. the amount of feedback every impact was increased for the emerald because the nct coating is less.

pryde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pryde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 7:55pm
i just got mine yesterday, and  ask special one from the supplier in indonesia with weight 92 gram.
wanna try it today...
comodoensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comodoensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2014 at 12:10am
OMG this beauty really is tempting me !!!! oooooooo goooossshhh after infinity there comes emerald

Must stop EJ...must stop EJ...must stop EJ...

LoL...

Still waiting for my modified infinity though :'(

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2014 at 2:26am
infinity is like a mitsubishi evo car, the emerald is like an aston martin Big smile

*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2014 at 5:11am
yogi_bear...both cars make you happy!!!
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2014 at 5:35am
Yogi, does it have the same spin capacities of intensity, is it more controllable ? Or the the same?
Butterfly Fransizka ZLC FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9 BH
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2014 at 8:59am
on slower shots the intensity is easier to spin but the emerald is not that hard to spin with. i don't have any more problems in terms of control. the emerald is more stable in blocking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic