Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga Airoc M Review (updated with review)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Airoc M Review (updated with review)
    Posted: 08/22/2014 at 6:12am
Stiga Airoc M

Weight: approx. 68 grams uncut (max)
Hardness: Medium
Speed: Off
Test Blades: Stiga Emerald VPS, Stiga Ebenholz 5

It took me a few days to review this rubber and carefully considered the negative feedbacks from people who have tried this rubber. I would rather be objective on the Airoc M's individual strengths and weaknesses instead of just dismissing it as a bad rubber. I cannot blame other people but it is also unfair to just judge the rubber which I have found some redeeming qualities.

The Airoc M was made due to people asking Stiga to make better rubbers than the Calibra Tour Series. The clamor was for an increased spin when Stiga's newer rubber comes out. I have not yet tested the Airoc M with the new polyball because I am still waiting for Stiga to send me some samples together with the Airoc S rubbers. 

Out of the box, as what I have mentioned before, the Airoc smelled like and looked like it was tuned. The rubber has a reversed dome. It comes with a new light blue sponge which is porous and could be mistaken as an ESN made rubber. The "Made in Japan" label on the topsheet confirms that it is not.

Above and bottom pictures are the close up views of the new porous japanese sponge for the Airoc M. 

Pictures above are the sample rubbers of the Calibra Tour and Airoc M. I took photos of the 2 rubbers together and let people see the differences in topsheet. The Tour topsheet has a mat black look while the Airoc topsheet is a bit shiny and has a different grainy look.

I glued and tested the Airoc M both on the Ebenholz 5 and Emerald VPS together with the Calibra LT Spin for a base comparison. Here are the following things I have observed and I will try to be objective on each attribute of the rubber under testing:

Speed

I rate the Airoc M as fast but nowhere near the level of T64 in terms of speed and bounce. If compared to Stiga's own rubbers the Calibra LT and LT+ are both faster than the Airoc M. The Airoc M however is faster than the Calibra LT Sound and LT Spin versions. I noticed the bounciness and lively attributes of the Airoc M the moment I hit it with both Ebenholz 5 and Emerald VPS blades. When you hit with it using drives, the newly developed sponge which looked like a tensor sponge at first has a very good reaction against the ball when you hit through the sponge. 

Feel

The Airoc M doesn't feel like a true medium hardness rubber. It felt like a medium soft rubber when hitting hard. I would say the approximate sponge hardness equivalent to a euro rubber is  about 45 degrees. The rubber has a loud sound when hitting through the sponge. It sounded different from the calibra series rubbers which have a dull sound with the exception of the calibra lt sound rubber. 

Control

Despite the fast speed of the Airoc M, the control is obviously good for a fast rubber. It was good
enough to control strong smashes near and far from the table. The balance of speed, control and good feel contributes to making the rubber very easy to use even for intermediate players. The control is unlike that of the faster calibra rubbers like LT+ and LT versions which require a little more skill and touch. I can safely say that the Airoc M is a good blocking rubber both forehand and backhand with my preference to the backhand because I love its good feel and control. It's like a toned down T64 in terms of speed and spin but with a softer feel and better control. The topsheet is not sensitive to incoming spin making it very good for receiving serves. 

Spin

This is where most people are most interested before this rubber came out because they wanted something spinnier than the tour series. I asked for a calibra spin rubber side by side with the Airoc M because I felt the Calibra LT Spin is the spinniest modern Stiga rubber. To say that the Airoc M lacks spin is a bit unfair. I would rather judge the Airoc's performance on specific spin-based strokes. Let me establish the fact that the Calibra LT Spin is still spinnier than the Airoc M. I rate the Tour Series as having Average Spin, the Airoc M as having Above Average Spin and Calibra LT Spin as High Spin capability. There is a vast improvement in terms of spin for the Airoc M compared to the Tour Series. The Airoc is spinnier maybe by about 20-25% just to crudely put into numbers. I think many people will like the Airoc M if they do loop drives at peak of the bounce or off the bounce attacks above the table. If you hit more through the sponge when spinning then there is good spin. When you loop on a delayed contact timing or when the ball starts to go down then you would notice that the amount of spin is not as high compared to the first 2 timing contacts. In order to produce good spin you really need to use and hit through the sponge rather than just brushing it with less contact. This is for the forehand loops and spin drives. On the backhand, I found that the Airoc M redeems itself. It is a very good backhand rubber. I let my students block my backhand loops in different timings they say it is much spinnier compared to when I was using it in my forehand. The 2 first early contact timing against the ball still has the same results for the backhand with the late contact on the ball having lesser spin. So I realized that the AIroc is better for speed attacks with more emphasis on speed than spin. That is where the Airoc M shines. I do not think it suits a spinny looping game though.

So I conclude that the Airoc M is a very good rubber. It may differ from people's expectations because of having used to fast and spinny euro rubbers but this rubber is not bad at all. I really need to test this on the polyball together with the Airoc S when it arrives because Stiga says this was designed for the polyball. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 6:48am
Looking forward to this.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 9:17am
I have a Teflon frying pan here with more surface grip than the Calibra Tour topsheet. I'm hoping Airoc goes down a different path...
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 9:36am
the topsheet was surprisingly grippy. can't wait to test this tomorrow
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 11:24am
very excited to see this review, i was thinking about this rubber series recently, and i've been waiting for someone to get it to give a decent review.
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 2:45pm
I have an Airoc S, topsheet is grippy as described. The rubber came curled too. Have not tried it, but comparing the hardness of the rubber to tenergy 05fx, i would say it is actually harder. 
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 3:46pm
Almost all reviews (TT News Forum) I read about Airoc rubbers are not very positive and also Stiga players are still using Calibra or something else.. Maybe one day Stiga will start to make some rubbers on ESN too..
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 7:33pm
Hope it performs "the spin" well.
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 7:08am
added pics 

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 11:00am
From another UK forum:

I am testing the Stiga AIROC M from 1 month ago. I am a left-handed player, and i have as blade a Stiga Ebenholz "PENHOLDER", and using 2 Stiga AIROC M. My first impression was a terrible deception. The rubbers are very heavy, great control, and for me very poor in power and spin.

I have tried all the rubbers of Stiga during some years, But this rubber, with both balls, not working for me and my game.
If you are looking for power, please, don´t throw your money with this rubber. 

For spin and power, with my blade or my old blade Stiga Carbo Oversize, have a great ally with Calibra LT, and Calibra Tour.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 11:02am
updated with review

srale7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srale7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 11:50am
Reading your review, conclusions is that new Stiga rubber does not bring anything new compared to the ESN rubbers, and still  remains to see what will be the durability, because last series (Tour) have  problems in terms of durability (rapidly losing grip)
Xiom Zetro Quad ST 90g
FH Xiom Omega4 Euro max
BH Xiom Vega Europe max
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 11:53am
can take a picture with a ball placed on top? I would like to see it floating! LOL
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 12:11pm
to me this Airoc M sounds a bit dissappointing. I'm using LT Spin now and I like it a lot, it's great for blocking and the feeling is really nice. It lacks a little in the spin department though. I was hoping that Airoc M would be more spinny because of higher surface grip. Seems like this is not the case according to your review. Does it play better in humid conditions than LT Spin?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 12:41pm
+1000 points to yogi for the most diplomatic review ever.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Dean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 12:50pm
Thanks for your review! Thumbs Up

I am really looking forward to your impressions on the Airoc S.
Up to now no other rubber could replace my Calibra Sound on FH. And I tested a lot of them...
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 7:28pm
the Airoc M is a better blocking rubber than the LT Spin. I have not played under humid conditions yet with the Airoc so I can't say yet. Also, the topsheet of the Airoc looks durable enough. In fact looks more durable than the calibra series.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 10:22am
i forgot to tell you guys, the throw for the Airoc M is low to medium arc

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 8:41pm

Thanks yogi for the excellent feedback. It gives a clear mental picture of how this rubber operates. :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 12:01pm
Just had a hit with Airoc S on my backhand for 2 hours on my Mizutani jun ST. It is pretty impressive, its easy to control, its soft sponge enables me to place the ball with accuracy and spin. Chopping the ball seems easy due to its grippy topsheet. Slower than tenergy 64 but higher control. Still able to generate a fair amount of speed, more recommended for backhand than the forehand. I never played any other stiga other than stiga calibra LT. This Airoc S is way better than that. 
Shall try Airoc M sometime in future. Big smile 
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2014 at 1:17am
I had a chance to try the Airoc M in max thickness today on the backhand of my Ma Lin Carbon where I normally use Tenergy 05 with a celluloid ball.  I was intrigued by TTD's claim that hitting and punching were strengths of this rubber, as my rpb punch is a cornerstone of my game.

After playing this evening I think Airoc M is probably better suited for harder blades like Stiga's hardwood series blades or maybe a YEO.  These were my impressions:

I had difficulty feeling the ball in many of my shots and even on flat hits the response felt rather dull (but not exactly mushy), almost like the rubber was choking my blade.  The rubber's speed was slow, almost comparable to an unglued/untuned sriver.  Where passive blocking with tenergy would spit the ball back at my opponent with their own spin, Airoc M sort of floated it back with little pace.  My hitting partner was surprised and a bit thrown off by how slowly my shots seemed to come in compared to before.

In topspin to topspin strokes as they were before away from the table the ball would often sink into the net and I had to adjust my swing upwards to get a decent shot (which is expected seeing as this was advertised as having a low-throw).  My backhand punches and loops also had to be timed before the ball reaches the top of the bounce in order to ensure I was engaging the sponge to some degree, and I also experienced a noticeable improvement in control as fewer of my shots went off the table when timed early.  But even playing with early timings, my partner said he didn't feel as pressured from my backhand as he was when I used tenergy because of Airoc's lack of speed and spin, and I did not feel like I could get a solid contact no matter how much I tried.

If I let the ball drop the topsheet was not very consistent in spinning the ball and often slipped if I purely relied on brush - similar to what yogi_bear found.  So when I was off the table the only thing I could reliably do was just to touch the ball back on the table, counter-looping at late timings tended to be a bit erratic from topsheet slippage, and it was difficult to generate enough pace to return the ball without an active swing.  Also as a penholder, my fingers kept slipping on the rubber which made it difficult to keep my paddle steady - if I stick with this I will need to scrape the finger contact area.

Lifting underspin required much more upward motion than with tenergy, and the balls came in fairly low (again holding true to the low-throw claim), but with less spin than expected as my partner put several balls into the net when trying to block or counter my opening loops.  Pushes were controlled because the rubber was very linear, although I don't push with rpb very frequently.  I don't serve frequently with my backhand, but I could not generate as much spin with Airoc as with Tenergy when I tried.  Trying to flip the ball was very frustrating, again due to the topsheet slippage I frequently experienced.  As a result, I was more conservative on picking which balls to flip, only opting for the ones that were significantly above the net.

I also briefly twiddled my paddle and had better results, as I was able to generate significantly more spin and speed with Airoc on a forehand swing.  On my forehand, it felt like a more linear and controlled version of Tenergy 64 with very little springiness but comparable spin.  But still, it is a completely different rubber than what I am used to for my forehand, and it is obviously nothing like hurricane 3.

Although I was disappointed with Airoc M's pairing with my Ma Lin Carbon, I think this rubber still has potential if paired with a harder and faster blade to more easily engage its sponge.  I also think this rubber could use some help with speed and feeling, so I will boost it before gluing it to one of my YEOs to give it another go.  But for now, I don't recommend this rubber to people using soft outer-ply blades.

Edited by schen - 09/05/2014 at 1:24am
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2014 at 9:05am
backhandwise i like it

Antuan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2014 at 4:22pm
Is the Stiga rubbers factory in Japan?
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2014 at 7:24pm
All Stiga modern rubbers are made in Japan.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2014 at 11:48pm
The Airoc M is the best bh rubber I ever tried. I find mysterious that such a rubber feels actually very soft when the sponge hardness is supposed to be above 45.
The opening topspin from the BH is effortless and encourages stronger strokes with more and more all the way brutal wrist snaps as confidence never decreases.
On the fh I could not get used to it and I gave up.
At 52g cut and with a Tenergy 05 max on the fh the whole setup is getting on the head heavy side on a 7-ply all wood blade that I was testing, close to 90g; on a 91g 5 ply it was a dream on the bh.
I might keep reading around to figure whether the 1.9mm Airoc M can go under 45g cut (any clue maybe?); in that case a T05 or 80 1.9mm on the fh would seal the deal (those are close to 45g cut for sure). I'd settle for a 84g TB ALC and basta. I'd be done for good.
This week I am testing another 7-ply wood that felt even more fantastic during a 2-hours coaching session (but I could not try all the shots for good). I sure am full of hope with that rubber.
NOTE: I immediately thought of the Juic Air Condle when I played the Airoc M for the 1st time; it has been years but it felt exactly the same and the Air Condle name popped up right away. They both got that not so soft sponge that feels very soft; weird. also that tender topsheet.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 7:55pm
fatt, i like the airoc m more on the backhand too. it is very easy to attack with.

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 8:16pm
Dang it you guys, sounds like the almost perfect BH rubber. When I get back from travels I will order a sheet or two. :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2014 at 5:46pm
Great review! I love this rubber, however I wonder which blade you would recommend between Stiga Emerald VPS, Stiga Ebenholz 5 or Stiga Infinity VPS V? I play with Airoc M on both BH and FH.
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2014 at 5:48pm
I have a really offensive game style, and I like to play close to the table! I also prefer light blades. 
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 8:20pm
Hi every one I'm finding backhand rubber my previous rubber is evolution el-p and yes I like it but find something better.I like opening backhand loop in table and far from table ,medium-medium hard rubber with high speed and spin ,easy to lift back spin on the table and not too high throw angle I'm prefer medium low -medium throw .what rubber would I choose between calibra lt and airoc m? Thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic