Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Darker 7P-2A Hinoki Blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smash_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smash_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Darker 7P-2A Hinoki Blade
    Posted: 08/23/2014 at 6:43pm
Does anyone have any experience with this blade? In particular I care about the 7P-2A, and not the other versions.

The manufacturer is apparently known to be of high quality; however very few people play these blades.
I am considering ordering one and would like to know any or all of the following prior:

-Speed (Off- or All+)
-Control (for short game and placement)
-Touch (stiffness and dwell)
-Gears, if any
-Weight of different people's blades
-Best place to order one from, since there is no USA distributor

Thanks in advance. See the picture attached.

Edited by smash_fan - 08/23/2014 at 6:54pm
Blade: Hinoki Wood (now trying ZLF)
Rubbers: Tenergy 05 and 05FX
Sponsored Links

smash_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smash_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 12:39pm
No one has used this blade??
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 10:02pm
Darker makes lovely, exceptionally high quality blades...  I use a 5P-2A, but several people at my club have 7P-2A's. 

Speed: Off- would be the low end in my opinion.  I'd say that, with most rubber, it would be Off to Off- range.

Control is fine for it's speed, but it isn't what I'd call super forgiving.  On the other hand, if you can handle high-speed blades, it should be fine.

I has a very soft feel and some flex (not super flexible by any means though).  It is a 7-ply all wood blade - if you hit the ball harder, it goes faster.  If you don't, it won't.  Don't expect it to do anything for you - or expect it to hold you back either.  I've only weighed three of them that I can recall, and all were in the 85 gram neighborhood.  Weirdly, (perhaps) they were a couple grams less than most of the 5P-2A's I've weighed.

I think there are one or two in stock at the OKCTT pro shop.  They were originally purchased form Iruiru.

bes
smash_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smash_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2014 at 3:00pm
Thanks for the notes Bes!
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by bes bes wrote:

Darker makes lovely, exceptionally high quality blades...  I use a 5P-2A, but several people at my club have 7P-2A's. 

Speed: Off- would be the low end in my opinion.  I'd say that, with most rubber, it would be Off to Off- range.

Control is fine for it's speed, but it isn't what I'd call super forgiving.  On the other hand, if you can handle high-speed blades, it should be fine.

I has a very soft feel and some flex (not super flexible by any means though).  It is a 7-ply all wood blade - if you hit the ball harder, it goes faster.  If you don't, it won't.  Don't expect it to do anything for you - or expect it to hold you back either.  I've only weighed three of them that I can recall, and all were in the 85 gram neighborhood.  Weirdly, (perhaps) they were a couple grams less than most of the 5P-2A's I've weighed.

I think there are one or two in stock at the OKCTT pro shop.  They were originally purchased form Iruiru.

bes

Someone from Japan once told me that Darker takes one large piece of wood (or a few specific pieces) and makes a particular blade model just out of those pieces.  When they run out, the model is discontinued.  They might make a similar design out of other pieces, but it will be called something else.  I had eight 5P-2As over the years and they were virtually indistinguishable from each other.

I also tried all of the various 7P blades and they have softer feel than the 5P-2A and incredible dynamic range.  Probably the best 7-ply looping blades I have seen.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
mariusbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariusbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2024 at 9:23am
Someone tried the 7P-2A with Tenergy 05, Tenergy 05FX or Rozena?
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2024 at 12:56pm
Very high on my wanted to buy list. Darker makes fantastic blades and I have had a number of them. Sadly not this one.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2024 at 2:54pm
Just in case I thought I'd share this: I had the 7p-2a-7t (a faster, thicker version of the 7p-2a) for a year and it was fantastic. Only EJing made me switch to something else but I was playing really good with it. 
7-ply hinoki, can't go wrong with a bit stiff and much soft!

Edited by stiltt - 03/27/2024 at 3:06pm
mariusbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariusbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2024 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Just in case I thought I'd share this: I had the 7p-2a-7t (a faster, thicker version of the 7p-2a) for a year and it was fantastic. Only EJing made me switch to something else but I was playing really good with it. 
7-ply hinoki, can't go wrong with a bit stiff and much soft!
Which rubbers on fh and bh?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2024 at 4:02pm
I used to be fond of T05 1.9mm on hinoki blades, minimizing sponge thickness to get the best of the hinoki feel and to have better flat hits (maybe it was in my head only), on both sides; especially on the Speed 90 but also this one.
mariusbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariusbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2024 at 7:01am
Thanks! I might try Rozena first because rubbers are like new. Hopefully they fit (atm they are on a Korbel SK7). Then I will try some Tenergy, 05 and 05FX. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic