Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Long pimples against slow and spinny loop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long pimples against slow and spinny loop
    Posted: 08/26/2014 at 1:07pm
Last Saturday, I was playing in a local tournament. I can usually win a match with my FH Loop & BH LP chop block / block. However, I have a very hard time playing against this person (7-11,5-11,6-11  CryCry). He Looped a few very slow and spinny loop to my bh, then forehand smash when I had a pop up. Can someone give me some information or some tips on how to play against slow and spinny loop (hit the ball with my lp ???) ??
Thanks.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Sponsored Links

ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 1:16pm
It's hard to attack top spin with LPs, which is why slow, controlled top spin is best to beat a LP blocker. If your LPs have some grip, you maybe able to get more aggressive. Other wise try to block the ball to the most inconvenient place for the other guy, or back off a little and chop..
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 1:21pm
right off the bounce - have an abrupt up to down motion - to 'reverse' the ball

the result will be a very heavy downspin ball for your opponent, depending on how much spin (you said slow and spinny) your opponent puts on the ball, the converse amount of downspin ball will be returned to him

if it is indeed that heavy, his sole alternative will be to push it, once you get the hang of this skill, you will be able to return the high spinny ball short with downspin, the opponent's other alternative - should your ball go off the table is to loop the heavy downspin once again

unless he is very gifted/skilled, the opponent's push should be long, and you yourself should be able to loop that downspin ball that he just pushed

else, another tactic you can do with that heavy downspin push is to once again - 'reverse' it - with a open downward stroke - you can 'loop' the heavy downspin pushed ball

look at pushblocker's patterns/technique - he has it perfected

:)

Edited by in2spin - 08/26/2014 at 1:24pm
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 1:28pm
the slow spinny loop is one of my favorite shots to recieve. when i get this from someone "that player is never about 1700 rating" this first thing you must do is not panic. you have time to get to the ball. and if you block correctly it comes back extremely fast and they tend to be out of position because of the spin they had to exert on the ball. if you can develop a counterdrive/block against this shot it will render their game useless. do not be too upset because if they are playing with the slow spinny loop often then that means they are close to their limit in skill. they cannot continue to do this at a higher level.
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 1:32pm
I've seen players who force slow spinny loops from their opponents and then attack those loops.
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

I've seen players who force slow spinny loops from their opponents and then attack those loops.

this is a tactic i do very consistently. attacking the slow spinny loop is a huge issue for the one who created the slow spinny loop. if you can find someone who can do the slow spinny loop consistenly to you then you can practice against it and everytime you come against it in a match you will feel like they're just trying to give you a free point.
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 1:39pm
glitched double post sorry.  -----------

Edited by MAkira - 08/26/2014 at 1:40pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 1:40pm
[QUOTE=in2spin]right off the bounce - have an abrupt up to down motion - to 'reverse' the ball

the result will be a very heavy downspin ball for your opponent, depending on how much spin (you said slow and spinny) your opponent puts on the ball, the converse amount of downspin ball will be returned to him

if it is indeed that heavy, his sole alternative will be to push it, once you get the hang of this skill, you will be able to return the high spinny ball short with downspin, the opponent's other alternative - should your ball go off the table is to loop the heavy downspin once again

unless he is very gifted/skilled, the opponent's push should be long, and you yourself should be able to loop that downspin ball that he just pushed

else, another tactic you can do with that heavy downspin push is to once again - 'reverse' it - with a open downward stroke - you can 'loop' the heavy downspin pushed ball

look at pushblocker's patterns/technique - he has it perfected

As a slow spiny looper and a LP blocker, I think your answer is perfect.  It really gets fun when the looper continues to loop and the chop blocker continues to return the ball.  Each block and loop becomes more challenging.

Edited by mts388 - 08/26/2014 at 1:41pm
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 5:00pm
Thanks for all the tips Wink
After giving the match some thought, he actually looped a few very slow and spinny loop to my bh, then forehand smash when I had a pop up or pushed my return when my return was short or looped a powerful forehand loop when my return is weak. I will ask my hitting partner feeds me slow spinny loop, and I will try to chop block / block / attack the slow loop.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

right off the bounce - have an abrupt up to down motion - to 'reverse' the ball

...unless he is very gifted/skilled, the opponent's push should be long, and you yourself should be able to loop that downspin ball that he just pushed
Perfect. Looks like a description of Lo Chen Tsung style of play.
Peergee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peergee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 7:10pm
I attack hard right of the bounce just like if I was using inverted and it works for me.
I need to be close to the table though for this shot. For me it works much better, if my opponent happens to be a lefty.
My Feedback:http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68326&PID=826612󉳴

TBS
Tenergy 64
Juice Patisuma
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 7:13pm
don't forget to use the side-spin chops to the corners.  make the ball 'hover' and drop with the lp's.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 2:26am
Egghead I had the same problem a few nights ago, I tend to stay at the table unless someone does a slow spinny loop and then ill try chopping, my trouble was this played into his hands as I played him in as he just kept looping until finding the right one to bash, so for me next time ill try to take it off the bounce and also be more aggressive with my forehand

I did find the chopping fun but I would rather win lol
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Egghead I had the same problem a few nights ago, I tend to stay at the table unless someone does a slow spinny loop and then ill try chopping, my trouble was this played into his hands as I played him in as he just kept looping until finding the right one to bash, so for me next time ill try to take it off the bounce and also be more aggressive with my forehand

I did find the chopping fun but I would rather win lol

After a training session with my coach, I find that the keys are the "downward motion" and "keep calm, there are lot of time to get to the ball". Again, thanks for all the tips. Actually, my coach advised me to twist the blade and to counter the slow topspin.

Edited by Egghead - 08/28/2014 at 7:50pm
Peergee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peergee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 8:44am
In my opinion, the video tips apply to inverted rubber not LP.  I think, the third option of counter attacking is possible with LP, with practice.
My Feedback:http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68326&PID=826612󉳴

TBS
Tenergy 64
Juice Patisuma
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 11:23am
i agree the video displays how to counter slow topspin with inverted

i believe the OP's original issue was popping up slow topspin to his bh LPs

i believe what was happening was the OP's technique in dealing with that shot with the LPs was incorrect - not utilizing the full potential of what LPs are capable of

many lower level players - do simply slap on LPs, and at a very low level (say, sub 1400 US) - the change in the timing/rhythm of the rally is enough to disrupt and cause mistakes - even though they do not effectively 'reverse' the ball - which is one of the main strengths of the LPs.  not to say that the disruption/rhythm change is not effective, it just is less successful as you go up in level, whereupon successful techniques in ball reversal become more common and more utilized

i have seen players who have no idea how to 'reverse' the ball actually be pretty successful - at just taking all the spin off the ball by utilizing them with the same strokes as inverted.  but they are not using all the capabilities of the rubber, nor, at that level do they care, because they are winning (at the -1400 level)

:)

Edited by in2spin - 08/29/2014 at 11:39am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 11:27am
Egghead said his coach advised him to use the inverted side of his rubber instead of the long pips side.  That is pretty interesting, to say the least.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 12:30pm
Using their LPs to force either an outright error or a weak return which they attack with their inverted---that's modern defending right?
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Egghead said his coach advised him to use the inverted side of his rubber instead of the long pips side.  That is pretty interesting, to say the least.

I'm sorry if I was not clear Embarrassed. My coach means to twiddle the blade to provide extra variation in my returns. Will try this in my next training session.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I'm sorry if I was not clear Embarrassed. My coach means to twiddle the blade to provide extra variation in my returns. Will try this in my next training session.

I understood.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic