Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coaching Session Plan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ttcoach88 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttcoach88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coaching Session Plan
    Posted: 08/28/2014 at 11:24am
Hi, I coach a small group of people who I would consider to be intermediate level players at my local club.
I was just wondering if the community had some ideas for me on planning a session.
The session lasts for about 3 hours and are currently once a week. I do some private coaching also if the players need further help with their game.

This is how a session would typically run with my current setup.
1. Stretching 5-10 mins of basic stretching all areas before training begins. 

2. Warmup - 10 mins backhand and forehand counterhit.

3. Footwork Drills - 30 mins usually do about 3 different drills which I vary based on player.

4. Short Pushing - 5 mins 

5. Break - 5 mins

6. Multiball -  Depending on size of group usually takes 40-45 mins to complete covering all major areas.

7.  Service drills - 20 mins depending on time left usually do lots of 3rd ball and 5th ball attack drills.

8.  Match play - Top table or the equivalent for the players to test their skill in real time.

I'm relatively new to coaching and have been trying out different ways of approaching this but still have trouble putting it all together in a session for the players.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated to me thankyou. Smile

Sponsored Links

Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 11:36am
Originally posted by ttcoach88 ttcoach88 wrote:

You should not stretch cold muscles so you would need some sort of a warm-up (light jog) before stretching.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Aman1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 3:14pm
At the end of training, our class always like playing "points against the coach".  The class lines up, serves and plays out a point against the coach.  Win or lose, we move the to the end of the line and wait for our next turn.  Of course we keep track of who can get a point against the coach.
BTY TBS
FH Tibhar Evolution FX-P
BH Donic Bluefire M3

MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 3:23pm
Are you never working on form with them?
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Originally posted by ttcoach88 ttcoach88 wrote:

You should not stretch cold muscles so you would need some sort of a warm-up (light jog) before stretching.

Haha, SO TRUE. Dynamic stretching is best and that means doing light versions of whatever activity is being done, so to warm up body using dynamic stretching for TT, one can do slow and half power hits, then up it up a bit with half power lops and the associated movements half power or hop steps, two steps, & crossover.

Static stretching is sooooo over-rated before an activity and can wreck you if over-done. Yet, even in this day we see it done everywhere.

Why?

It is in the coaching manual and has been drilled into us in school from jokers who really don't know, but are in charge. Sounds like both military and corporate execs. So, who is in charge of all the drunken monkeys in the world?
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

So, who is in charge of all the drunken monkeys in the world?
What's wrong with being a drunken monkey? Embarrassed
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Nothing, as long as do not teach static stretching on cold muscles. Wink
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Everything if you are in charge of people, their lives, or a national or international TT association. :)
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
ttcoach88 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttcoach88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 9:36pm
Ok thanks for your responses, so we already do a warm up jog before stretching I just forgot to mention it in the OP.

So what I really would like to know is the following:

What specific drills should I be doing with the players to help further their game?
In what order should I be structuring the session?
Should I be including all the things I mentioned in the first post and is there anything that I'm missing that is essential to include?

I'm looking for a specific session guide that I can use and refer to which will help maximize our time the most efficiently.

Should probably have mentioned the coaching is for all ages not just juniors specifically maybe that will help you in answering my questions.

Thankyou.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 11:13am
1. aside from jogging, i let my students do the ladder footwork warm up like the north korean video doing ladder exercises, side to side footwork exercise on the side of the table ( right hand touching the left side corner and left hand touching the right side corner alternately).
2. multiball drills:
a. since they are of intermediate level, i seldom do single forehand drills as warm up drills but i go directly to side to side fh-fh drills side and middle part of the table and middle and side part with pivot.
b. backhand drive drill
c. backhand - forehand side-to-side drills
d. falkenberg
e. random bh-fh drills, side to side
f. push-chop follow up with forehand loop ( depending on what situation you are trying to simulate) could also be 2nd ball attacks using loop vs. backspin with either fixed or random placement. more advanced version is you block the loop and then the player does follow up
g. backhand loop

these are some of the things i would do for intermediate players.

after multiball drills:
1. table single ball drills (patterned or random)
2. service practice and service receive
3. match plays
4. last is physical conditioning exercises and cool down

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 11:21am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

1. aside from jogging, i let my students do the ladder footwork warm up like the north korean video doing ladder exercises, side to side footwork exercise on the side of the table ( right hand touching the left side corner and left hand touching the right side corner alternately).
2. multiball drills:
a. since they are of intermediate level, i seldom do single forehand drills as warm up drills but i go directly to side to side fh-fh drills side and middle part of the table and middle and side part with pivot.
b. backhand drive drill
c. backhand - forehand side-to-side drills
d. falkenberg
e. random bh-fh drills, side to side
f. push-chop follow up with forehand loop ( depending on what situation you are trying to simulate) could also be 2nd ball attacks using loop vs. backspin with either fixed or random placement. more advanced version is you block the loop and then the player does follow up
g. backhand loop

these are some of the things i would do for intermediate players.

after multiball drills:
1. table single ball drills (patterned or random)
2. service practice and service receive
3. match plays
4. last is physical conditioning exercises and cool down

+1. this is more or less the drills/ that my coach has me and a few others do.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 1:24pm
Just my two cents but I think it's important to give intermediate players reachable and progressive goals. And to have the same kind of structure from class to class so people get better and better at it.

For example, lately I've been doing the following a few times a week. This is at the individual (not class) level though it could be adapted. Each drill has a set goal. The session ends when the whole basket of balls is done. Can be done within the hour.

1. Forehand to forehand hit. You proceed to step 2. when you can do at least 100 balls in a row without missing.  (When players are used to this, they can complete step 1. in the first 2 or 3 balls and they can stop the rally after the 100.) 

2. Backhand to backhand hit. You proceed to step 3. when you can do at least 100 balls in a row without missing. (Probably can be done without using up more than half-a-dozen balls from the basket.)

Total time for Phase 1 is about 5 mins, maybe 10 max.
Student is now warmed up enough to add some workload.

3. Forehand loop. Partner forehand blocks. You proceed to step 4. when you can do at least 30 loops in a row without missing. (Maybe takes at least the time for steps 1. and 2. combined. Degree of difficulty is higher so error rate should be higher here. Probably consume a dozen balls...)

Now the student is probably fully warmed up and sweating, time to add significant footwork ...

4. Forehand loop from two points (forehand corner and middle), alternately.  Proceed to step 5. when you can do at least 15 sets (30 loops total) without missing.

5. 2 backhands, 2 forehands from the backhand corner. Proceed to step 6. when you can do at least 7 s ets (28 balls) without missing.

This completes the pure drill segment. If the student is experienced, steps 1 to 5 can be completed successfully in under 30 mins and there should still be plenty of balls left in the basket.

If the student lacks stamina or consistency, probably this will take the entire hour or all the balls will be used up.

Even with real professional coaches, I've been insisting on steps 1 through 5 to start each of my sessions. And because I go through the same, familiar stepped protocol, I feel more relaxed and ready.

Step 6. onwards are more advanced and relate more to actual match play and my own strengths/weaknesses.

Sandiway

Jinami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2014 at 9:27pm
As for match play, you may want to emphasize the proper use of the skills that your players are developing. Otherwise, they might be more concerned about winning the match and not use the skills that they are working on because of old habits or fear of making mistakes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic