Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Xiom Omega Pro vs Vega Japan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ckhirnigs113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Omega Pro vs Vega Japan
    Posted: 08/28/2014 at 3:24pm
I currently play with Vega Japan 2.0mm on a Donic Defplay Senso blade. I briefly tried out Omega V Tour and found it just a little too hard for my liking. I'm trying to decide whether or not to try out Omega V Pro since it is a bit softer than Tour. On the other hand, I really like Vega Japan, and it is cheaper than either of the Omega rubbers. 

Is there anyone who has played with both Vega Japan and Omega V Pro and can offer a comparison?

I love Vega Japan for it's ability to do all the strokes I need as a modern defender. It loops really well and also chops with great control on the Defplay. I'm wondering if Omega V Pro offers any improvements on Vega Japan that would help me in modern defense. 

Edited by ckhirnigs113 - 08/28/2014 at 3:26pm
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita FL
FH: Xiom Vega Japan MAX
BH: TSP P-1R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 1947
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 5:27am
Vega Japan does everything well. I didn't think it was particularly outstanding in any area, but a very solid rubber.

OVP has a softer, grippier topsheet than VJ. OVP is a spin monster, and is more reactive to spin as well. I'd say the overall speed is about the same. It's just down to your needs really. I'm not a chopper, but I did find it easier to chop with VJ (probably because my skills as a chopper are poor, and the less reactive nature of VJ made it a bit easier to use).
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 5:38am
I know a good player using Omega pro on a Grubba all+,his loops have extreme spin more than I have ever seen,if you play them back passivley they shoot off the blade,play them more aggresivley and they fly over the end it`s a conundrum what to do,think it will work well on the defplay

Edited by firetack - 08/29/2014 at 5:39am
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 7:21am
OVP is an amazing looping rubber. The best I've ever used.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 8:27am
I had no trouble chopping with Omega V Tour, so I assume it is just as reactive to spin as OVP. I really do like Vega Japan for its ability to do everything pretty well. The only small issue I've had is when it loses surface grip on slow loops, basically when I don't engage the sponge. It sounds like OVP has better surface grip, so it might correct this one weakness of VJ.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 8:39am
Originally posted by ckhirnigs113 ckhirnigs113 wrote:

I had no trouble chopping with Omega V Tour, so I assume it is just as reactive to spin as OVP.

Well, this is the main point really. OVPro and OVTour have the same sponge, but the topsheet on OVPro is softer. I'd expect OVTour to be less sensitive to spin. The softer feel of OVPro is just down to the topsheet - Pro and Tour are both on 47.5deg sponges.

If you want a softer sponge, OVEuro is the next one down the scale, but it's really quite fast.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 8:40am

It sounds like OVP has better surface grip, so it might correct this one weakness of VJ.

Oh yeah, for sure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 2:52pm
AndySmith, would you say OVP or OVT is closer to the feel of VJ? I assume OVP since the softer topsheet makes up for the slightly harder sponge compared to VJ. 

Edited by ckhirnigs113 - 08/29/2014 at 2:52pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2014 at 4:10pm

AndySmith, would you say OVP or OVT is closer to the feel of VJ? I assume OVP since the softer topsheet makes up for the slightly harder sponge compared to VJ. 

Hmmm. Yes, probably OVP, but it has quite a different feel. You might have to just go for it and give it a try. Wish I could be of more help, but I'm just not qualified to make any comment on the chopping!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2014 at 12:45pm
Thanks for the input. I think I may stick with VJ unless I get a really good deal on OVP. I know I like VJ and I've had my best results with it.
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 12:00am
*update: last time i said O5T is like T64 trying a pro's racket. when i bought a new sheet however, it was basically just like Omega 4 but more firm and better control. so i have to amend it to: plays like T64 when boosted

also, i haven't played xiom in awhile but i find when they're new out of the pkg, all tensors are too hard. what do you guys do? stretch them out before gluing? open the pkg and leave it out for awhile before use? last time i had an m2 and after testing 3 min - way too hard and fast, took it off. a month later, i put it back on and it was perfectly fine like T05.

Edited by kurokami - 10/17/2014 at 12:01am
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Vlad0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 1:46am

Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

open the pkg and leave it out for awhile before use? last time i had an m2 and after testing 3 min - way too hard and fast, took it off. a month later, i put it back on and it was perfectly fine like T05.

+1

I noticed the same thing

regiz.rugenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 7:18am
 I just had a blast with Vega Japan in max sponge on a Rosewood Carbon blade.. awesome fh counter looper! will try it next time on Hurricane King soon as I get more adjusted to it's speed.

Meanwhile,  I'm inclining of going for Vega Pro also in a max sponge as it has softer topsheet than the VJ. I wonder how they compare to each other, any thoughts here is highly appreciated! THANKS! :)

Regiz°ᆗ
Rosewood_Carbon/Huricane_King   °FH:Vega_Japan/T64FX   °BH:OmegaV_Euro/Rasant
°°°°
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 2:23pm
@regiz. vj is the one with softer topsheet, not vp.  
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 2:47pm
kurokami, I feel that you might have gotten an odd hard M2. I've had about 5-6 M2 sheets (both max & 2.0) and they've all been softer than T05. Slightly harder topsheet but the softer sponge overwhelms that. I'd be afraid of letting an M2 sheet air out as it would bottom out even more (unless one slows down hand speed).
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 9:17pm
I haven't played a ton of tensors... but my feeling on the Xiom rubbers I've tried mimic what kurokami says- they always play hard out of the package, but then soften up noticeabley. I acquired an O5P and at first while it was nice it was really firm. It definitely feels much nicer now though. I've had it on an Xiom Solo which is a soft feeling blade. But now I actually use that racket a lot an it has a really nice feel. If it were the same price as the other Xiom products that are pretty much the same technology but 38 bucks, I'd probably use it. But for $62, might as well just get tenergy. 

My only qualm about some of the Xiom products is that there are so many but at the same time they aren't very different. So O5P doesn't seem different enough to me to warrant almost double the price of some of the others. If I were to just slap a Vega Pro on my racket or something I'm pretty sure I'd play the exact same. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic