Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Serves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolterixus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serves
    Posted: 08/31/2014 at 9:21am
Hi

I would like to improve my varierity of serves.

I like using serves like pendulum and top spins and side spins.

If u can can u post different kind of serves and explain how to do and use them a video would be great.

Bolterixus
Blade: Primorac OFF-
FH: Bryce Speed FX
BH: Sriver
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2014 at 10:52am
Anyone could help me ?
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2014 at 11:00am

Michael Maze service starts at 7:07
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2014 at 11:51am
Brian Pace has a great serve and serve return video. The money is worth it, even if there are things I at my level think he should have emphasised or explained better.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2014 at 3:13pm
Where can I get the video and for how much?
acid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2014 at 3:20pm
it's free on youtube. just look for "table tennis services" and spend a lot of time practice.
808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2014 at 7:04pm
Here's one of Schlager unfortunately not in English:
http://youtu.be/PD02s8uTSzw

And the Stiga Drill Your Skills series:
http://stigatabletennis.com/en/drill-your-skills-with-china-national-team/
BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
Smacfest View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smacfest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 2:18pm
Best serves I use (just type these in on youtube)
Par Gerell's serve
Dimitrij Ovtcharov's serve
Tomahawk serve
Pendulum Serve except you brush under the bull making half a 'u' shape (almost like a curved 'L').
Reverse Pendulum
Vladimir Samsonov's serve
Blade: Andro CSV
FH: Adidas P7
BH: Andro Rasant Grip
No. 88 in U15s
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 10:58pm
just be gentle and things work out for the best when serving. service tends to come on its own (in my experience) while spending the extra time i had on form helped out a lot more.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2014 at 12:43am
Originally posted by MAkira MAkira wrote:

just be gentle and things work out for the best when serving. service tends to come on its own (in my experience) while spending the extra time i had on form helped out a lot more.

I think I disagree, but it all depends on how often you play tournaments, what level you are at and how your game evolved.  Serving practice rewards all the other parts of your game, especially when you get someone to teach you how to practice serves correctly.  The mistake most people make is that they have never received formal serving instruction so they don't know how to work on their serves.

The most important thing is to have a couple of serves that are not easy to attack so that you don't always feel under pressure when playing aggressive opponents.  Usually, that means at the very least being able to serve low and short.  That by itself requires practice for most people and also assumes that you have good receive, because if you don't, not getting anything out of your serves will put you under pressure.

When you play 2100+ players, the biggest problem is usually how to get the chance to play your game.  If you don't have a serve they cannot attack, you will not have any fun.  If you do, you will at least get to the rally sometimes.

You are also a lefty so your serves are unusual just for that reason.  That makes it a bit easier for you, but trust me, you are probably leaving a lot on the table by not focusing more on the serves given your innate advantage.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2014 at 5:14am
It also depends of your style of play.
A friend of mine who is a very good player (top 50) in Belgium has only 1 serve, a very very short ball, without spin just in the middle of the table, just behind the net. This ball is impossible to attack and that's all my friend needs to develop his game. The only thing he dislikes is being attacked directly on his serves. No need of spin, speed, variations....
An other friend has more than 15 different serves, developed for years and many many hours of training. He usually began at his home, using his wrist, paddle and balls (no table) to experiment the variety of spin he can generate with different moves, then once he believe something deserves a experiment, he tries it at the club.
Videos are interesting in slow motion to watch the moves of the body, the arm, the wrist but it will never replace hours of practice...That's the price to pay to get easily some free points :))

suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2014 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Bolterixus Bolterixus wrote:

Hi

If u can can u post different kind of serves and explain how to do and use them a video would be great.

Bolterixus

If you're already doing a pendulum serve with either pure side, side top or side bottom, then you really have all you need. Now just try to disguise it well and above all else, keep it low. If your bounce is too high, it doesn't matter what spin is on it. That ball can easily be attacked.

If you really wanted to add to the variety of your serves, you could also add...

- A no spin serve. An easy serve to do that you really should have. It's just a simple serve with just a hint of backspin. After the two bounces (which add topspin) that take place before they can contact the ball, it'll be no spin. Have a short and long fast version.

- Pure backspin. I assume you already have this. It's heavier than your pendulum side/back serve.

After you put those in, if you really want to, you could add a reverse pendulum serve. This one is harder to do for some people. The good news is that you have an easy out if you can't do the wrist motion. Just do a punch serve. It creates the same spin and is easier to execute. (see video)

Edited by suds79 - 09/02/2014 at 10:42am
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 3:34am
Originally posted by Bolterixus Bolterixus wrote:

Hi

Bolterixus

I think the important part if you want to improve your serve is to find a good serve that works with your game type.
My suggestion is that you look on youtube on players that you find using your game type and trying to look at there services. Look carefully at the placement on the table and where they usually gets the return. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 12:54pm
Thx guys this was very useful
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic