Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Forehand fixing machine"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jinami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Forehand fixing machine"
    Posted: 09/06/2014 at 1:21pm
In this video starting at 1:46 Ariel Hsing puts on what she calls a "forehand fixing machine"

Does anyone know where to get one or make one?
JOOLA Viva - DHS Skyline TG3 Neo / JOOLA Rhyzm
Xiom Zetro Quad - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo / Butterfly Tenergy 80
Sponsored Links

Lau_hb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lau_hb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2014 at 1:31pm
It's a belt with a rope/ elastic band attached to it.
Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2014 at 1:55pm
What does it do exactly?
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2014 at 2:08pm
Xu Xin with his big and wide forehand would certainly not like this belt and most of the male player would also not like it except perhaps during the warming.
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
Jinami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2014 at 4:02pm
My guess is that through resistance it tries to limit the mobility of the elbow which promotes proper stroke of the forehand counterdrive which can be a whole topic itself.

In short, some of the coaches who I've had lessons with advised on using mostly your elbow as the hinge/rotation point of your stroke and not your shoulder. There should be a certain distance range between your elbow and your hip. Having the band lets you know that you're moving your elbow too far out. For wide forehands instead of moving your arm further out, it's suggested to use footwork to move to the ball and therefore be able to maintain consistent stroke and return.

I think it's a great training tool for beginners and even intermediate players.
JOOLA Viva - DHS Skyline TG3 Neo / JOOLA Rhyzm
Xiom Zetro Quad - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo / Butterfly Tenergy 80
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2014 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Jinami Jinami wrote:

My guess is that through resistance it tries to limit the mobility of the elbow which promotes proper stroke of the forehand counterdrive which can be a whole topic itself.

In short, some of the coaches who I've had lessons with advised on using mostly your elbow as the hinge/rotation point of your stroke and not your shoulder. There should be a certain distance range between your elbow and your hip. Having the band lets you know that you're moving your elbow too far out. For wide forehands instead of moving your arm further out, it's suggested to use footwork to move to the ball and therefore be able to maintain consistent stroke and return.

I think it's a great training tool for beginners and even intermediate players.

Yes, that might be good for players who remain at the table like most of the women do but for those who play 1 up to 2 m behind, it won't achieve its goal since you play wider strokes. 
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2014 at 5:08pm
I made one of those for myself several years ago.  It helped me a lot, my forehand is just better in every way when I keep my elbow closer in, and this is true even though I like to play away from the table some.  And that's what this little device does, it keeps your elbow close in.  I am thinking about digging it out of the closet after seeing this.  It won't help everyone, that's for sure.  In fact the more modern way of hitting a forehand that you see in a lot of Chinese players would actually be messed up by one of these devices.  But my stroke is what it is, and I learned to play a long time ago.  It also forces you to move more and it has this side effect of improving my ready position.  It can be useful for all kinds of players who hit the ball a certain way, Ariel is obviously not a beginner or intermediate player.

Edit added.  One reason I stopped using it is because a lot of my clubmates thought it was a really stupid idea.  So I am actually happy to see that not everybody thinks so.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2014 at 9:15pm
This site has quite few training aids for Tennis - this one is close
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic