FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Rate this boy- My son

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Karank View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rate this boy- My son
    Posted: 09/07/2014 at 8:37pm
Hi There,

I have upload some videos of my son and want rating and tips from experts. He is 10 Yrs and playing for last 2.5 years . 

Uses Marcus Freitus Ply , Donic Coppa X1 for Forehand and Donic Sonex for back end. 

See Below 

Appreciate all comments. 

Thanks,
Girish
Sponsored Links

hhca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2014 at 8:45pm
600-800
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2014 at 8:45pm
He's very good.  Sometimes rating by videos is very hard, but I'd put him at 1900+, but it could be much higher.
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2014 at 9:09pm
I'll split the difference and guess 1200 - 1400.  Disclaimer - it is hard to do video level analysis at all. Doing so without knowing more about his opponents, their normal games, and tendencies is very tough. 

His serves are pretty basic, but tend to be fairly well placed.  He does a good job attacking weak returns and takes advantage when his opponents are out of position.  His serve returns also are pretty good on average.  His defense is much better than average - he stays balanced and ready.  His attacks are usually well placed and he rarely misses or over hits.  

I like his game - with a little more size, training, and experience, he'll just get better and better!

bes
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2014 at 9:27pm
1700-1900, IMO

He is competent and quite consistent with basic shots from both sides (push, block, loop), has pretty good footwork and basic game strategies, e.g. topspin serve and attack to corners.   I like that he plays with good intensity, yet his strokes are relaxed and he goes for his shots.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2014 at 9:29pm
If I may opine, I think it's too early to worry about his rating. You should instead consider how he has a good foundation for later play. A better question: with his current skill level and rate of development, what would his rating be at the age of 16? I think later once his game is fully developed, then you can analyze his rating.
Karank View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2014 at 9:37pm
Thanks for the suggestion all . 

@Argothman. The intention is to focus more on the tips I get to improve him further. Rating was for me to know where he stands because he plays in India and we don't have any rating system there . I wanted to know where does he stand in rating. 

Any tips on areas for him to work upon are much appreciated.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2014 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by bes bes wrote:

I'll split the difference and guess 1200 - 1400.  Disclaimer - it is hard to do video level analysis at all. Doing so without knowing more about his opponents, their normal games, and tendencies is very tough. 

His serves are pretty basic, but tend to be fairly well placed.  He does a good job attacking weak returns and takes advantage when his opponents are out of position.  His serve returns also are pretty good on average.  His defense is much better than average - he stays balanced and ready.  His attacks are usually well placed and he rarely misses or over hits.  

I like his game - with a little more size, training, and experience, he'll just get better and better!

bes

After watching the last 3 videos I'll lower my estimation to under 1600 for the reasons you gave.  He made a lot of nice shots in the first video, but wasn't nearly as good in the last video.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2014 at 10:05pm
1000 - 1200.
He is young and can improve fast.
So, he is doing fine for his age.
=======================

But your videotaping skill remains much to be desired.

Never use your hand to hold the camera (worse, if you use your camera to chase the ball or the player.)

Very simple, using a tripod, find a good spot and start taping.
========================

Just do what bogeyhunter or pushblocker has been doing.
skip3119
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2014 at 10:11pm
firstly never never never ever ever ever ever ask a American to judge a rating, there is just logic lol

let me check above and give you the run down so far........

600-800-1200-1400-1600-1700-1800-1900- and higher
any more questions 
and just a side note ,,,,,,,,is every Country has a rating system and no two Countries are the same
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2014 at 10:30pm
+1 skip3119
1000-1200. the kids learn at different paces so it really depends on where he ends up in the next 2 yrs. 

we've had 8 yr olds 1000-1200 reaching as high as 2100 by age 10 while others starting at age 10 from 400 go to 1400-1600 within 1 yr, and some that remain under 1000 for 2 yrs with little noticeable change, then suddenly jump to 1500-1600 in the next 2 months

Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 1:20am
I saw only the first video.I love his placement and his clever strategy-game!
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 3:41am
Quote Karank

Hi There, I have upload some videos of my son and want rating and tips from experts. He is 10 Yrs and playing for last 2.5 years.

Uses Marcus Freitus Ply , Donic Coppa X1 for Forehand and Donic Sonex for back end.

Appreciate all comments.

Thanks, Girish

Your son has good technique and you should be proud of him.

Generally about rating any kid playing another kid

The type of rubber affects their play so if one has a better quality rubber with more spin and speed it can give him an advantage vs another kid with rubber that is used for their development, is either boosted, etc.

So it can be very difficult to rate kids when you don't know all their rubbers used !
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 5:16am
For juniors he is pretty solid. But if he has to play an adult who is more experienced for sure he will use tactics to easily beat someone of that height with that reach.

But as a Junior he seems like he is definitely in the right direction. If he carries on I'm sure he will develop into a fine player

Edited by Ndragon88 - 09/08/2014 at 5:16am
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 11:18am
I am with the crowd that says whatever his rating is now, AND he continues to be in a good situation to train in TT and do matches, it will be old news soon enough down the road.

At first glance, when you see a player serve long and push long often, you think low of the range of 1000-1500.

However, the lad is doing quite a few things that indicate his level is likely higher than that range.

He doesn't miss a push, his opponents do not attack them well, he can hold the table in bang bang rally and come out on the winning end, he plays with a plan, he is patient and chooses his chances to attack knowing opponent is not going to put him under pressure, he doesn't give away too many easy chances to opponent and the ones he does makes the opponent move, he makes a decisive forst attack when he chooses.

Those are a few signs that say he is above the 1500 crowd. How much? Can't really say. He definitely is not in fellow 10-11 yr old David C's class, so I would not say he is 1900... yet. He appears to going in a positive direction so keep at it.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 11:42am
14 or 1500
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 2:06pm
After watched all the videos, does anyone see him loop an underspin with his bh? Can a ~ 1500 player loop a light underspin with their bh?
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 2:17pm
I'd say around 1200
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 2:21pm
Some things he does better, some worse.

Until he learns to keep the ball lower, I would think most players over 1500 would hit him off the table.

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 3:17pm
From my experience, juniors do not look as good until you actually face them in the match... Smile.  I always add 200-300 points to what I think they are, even then I still sometimes underestimate them LOL.
Karank View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 5:02pm
Thank you members for very good discussion and suggestions. I agree with most of the members that Rating is temporary to just let you know where you stand. 

Comments on his strong areas are good so he can capitalize on during the match and areas of improvement for me to give him some suggestions to work upon. I like this group to get such comments. Appreciate any areas or specific drills for him to recommend.  

I have taken comment on me as well to shoot it better SmileThumbs Up

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 9:36pm
Your son will keep improving and has a good pattern for serve and third ball
he does hit mild topspin serves to his forehand long, so give him some practice there
Is he a seeded player in his age group?
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 11:11pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 11:17pm
I was impressed by his soft hands.  He had the feel of a more experienced player.  Give him some times where he is free to play whatever shot comes to his head.  He looks like he could develop some individual style along with his proper technique.  It's interesting sometimes the shots he chooses.

AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 9:28am
Your son looks pretty good!  By the way, which facility is this in India?  When I was in the country  in early 2012, the clubs I went to were generally unimpressive.   The best place was actually the recreational room of a newspaper office. The others were either too small, too poorly lit, or possessing a run-down look.  By contrast, this centre looks very professional and pleasant. Is it open to the general public?
Karank View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 1:51pm
HI Varun,

This is in Pune . Deccan Gymkhana. Its open to public with a one time fee or membership . Things are changing in India specially w.r.t sports . Lot of focus and money pouring in across most of the popular sports. TT still lack glamour but still picking up quiet well. 
Karank View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 1:54pm
Yes he is seeded in District as No 1. At state he is no . 7/8. 
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 1:55pm
i noticed more than anything he lacked the confidence in his strokes. he may have had the right form but wasn't confidenced in it so he wouldn't follow through well.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 2:17pm
young players at this age... are very good in rallies and mainstream strokes.

But they struggle playing with tricky and weird players, in areas as:
- reading spins
- service returns
- improvising against players who are trying to exploit one weak point.

In india its even more difficult.. because india mostly has shake-hand two wing loopers, ........compared to LP blockers, LP choppers, inverted choppers, sp hitters, SP/LP combinations, Pen grip players.
[in australia they mostly have weird players than mainstream.. ;-) ]

So all i'm saying is while basics are strong.... unless he gets exposure to different types of players, he will end up playing very well in India... and struggling when he steps out of the country suddenly for an international tournament. as it happens with indian jr teams frequently.   

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 6:04pm
[in australia they mostly have weird players than mainstream.. ;-) ]

what? I think you are confusing the 50 year olds and Australian Jnrs who mostly all are double inverted players, I think there is more chance of coming accross a pimple user from Korea or Japan 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic