Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yogi's Stiga Airoc S Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yogi's Stiga Airoc S Review
    Posted: 09/11/2014 at 9:12am
Stiga Airoc S rubber

Weight: 65 grams approx. (uncut)
Hardness: Soft
Speed: Off
Test Blades: Stiga Ebenholz 5 and Stiga Emerald VPS

After more than a week of waiting for the Airoc S, I got mine from the local distributor. I was really excited on this one more than the Airoc M because this one from what I have heard is spinnier than the M version. I tested the Airoc S longer with the Ebenholz 5 of mine which was only 84 grams. It felt really light even with the globe 999 National on the other side. I weighed the set up with both rubbers glued and it weighed only about 176 grams (approx.)

The Airoc S is identical to the Airoc M but with a softer sponge. If the Airoc M is like 45-47 degree in hardness in a euro rubber scale, the Airoc S is like a 40-42 degree euro rubber in terms of hardness. The Airoc S reminds me of the Aurus Sound but is more firm in hardness by a notch or 2.
When I started hitting drills with the Airoc S, the sound can be heard from the other room. It was very loud. The Airoc M is already a loud rubber, the Airoc S is even louder. It is louder than the Calibra LT Sound or any other rubbers from other brands that I have tried. If you check out one of the pictures in this post there is a side by side picture of the Airoc S (left side) and Airoc M (right side). You can see that the Airoc S has larger pores compared to the pores of the Airoc M.

Now for a side by side comparison with the Airoc M. I would compare them specifically according to their strengths and capabilities in order for people to understand their performance.

Speed

The Airoc M is slightly faster than the Airoc S. The Airoc S when compared to other brands seems like a faster and more firm Aurus Sound. Despite the soft sponge and feeling, the speed is there when you hit through the sponge. This is what I have experienced on the first few minutes of hitting forehand to forehand drives. The difference in speed between the 2 Airocs is really not that big but I tend to like the Airoc S better. Despite being soft, the Airoc S is not too mushy in terms of feel. It has this some sort of a little bit more of the needed firmness that you do not experience bottoming out or hitting the wood of the blade when you hit too much.

Control

Like the Airoc M, the S version has good control but much better than the former. In terms of blocking hard spin drives and loops, the S version is easier to use and block. Actually, it felt like the control is of a classic japanese rubber which is easy to use but the rebound speed of the ball on the blade seems fast enough. The Airoc M's rebound speed in blocking is faster significantly.

Spin

On the forehand using forehand loops, the Airoc S felt spinnier than the M version. I was looping the S version and my student says it is spinnier than the M version because the Airoc S was harder to block against with compared to the M version. The Airoc S produced a little more spin on delayed contact during loops compared to the Airoc M which for me was not so spinny. Still both the M and S versions, excel more on loops with off the bounce and peak timing contacts. If you hit the ball early or at its peak you will the amount of spin they have but I would rate the S version as spinnier. In terms of throw arc, the S version has a slightly higher arc when looping compared to the M version. Both rubbers are low to medium throw but with the Airoc S having a little higher arc.
If you will ask me what is the comparison in terms of spin, I would say it is equal or even spinnier than the Calibra Spin. The good thing about the Airoc S is that due to its sponge design it is even easier to produce spin compared to the Calibra Spin. The softer sponge of the S version seems to be the key in its spin generation. The softer sponge allowed me to hit through the sponge more therefore letting the topsheet and sponge grip and brush the ball more. On backhand loops, I think the M version was spinnier maybe it's because of the way I brush the ball in my backhand but still the S version was easier to attack with and spin with.

Surprisingly good potential

What I greatly noticed about the S version is that whenever I attack a short ball either with underspin or light topspin near  the net, it has this built in accurate targeting system that enables me to accurately hit the ball either using a simple flick or a more aggressive and slapping kind of flick near the net. Drop shots were also good in that the bounce was not that high and was very easy to control.

So which is the one for you?

In my personal experience with these 2 very good rubbers, I prefer the S version on the forehand and the M version at the backhand most of the time. There are times on hard counters or if I spin drive a lot, I would choose the M version on the forehand. So if you drive and hit the ball more use the M version. I you want more spin and control get the S version. Surprisingly, I can live and play with both S versions on both sides as the S version is easier to use. Other people might like the M version on their forehands. All, in all I am happier with the S version.

I wish to thank www.pingpongonline.com, southeast asia's official distributor of Stiga products because they provided me the Airoc S rubber while waiting for mine. It was shipped this week and I'm still waiting for them to arrive. Also, I would like to clear up an issue that the review made by an individual with the name Mr.Barna is no way affiliated with Stiga nor his clone usernames with the same IP address. Stiga will not stoop down to that kind of advertising nor will they mislead people deliberately.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 9:17am
I really need to come to you for some lessons in photography
srale7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srale7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 9:25am
This time we hope that this will be real reviewTongue
Xiom Zetro Quad ST 90g
FH Xiom Omega4 Euro max
BH Xiom Vega Europe max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 9:48am
tony, i am an amateur in photography. i only use a common digital camera with macro mode on.

i will post the review later. i am typing it now.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 10:19am
Nice pics. The sponge pores look significantly bigger than the pores on Tenergy sponge.

Edited by DreiZ - 09/11/2014 at 10:20am
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 10:34am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

i will post the review later. i am typing it now.

Waiting patiently.....Embarrassed

If its possible for you to give brief comparisons with other soft versions of Tensors, like BF M3, Acuda S3, Genius Sound, Aurus Sound etc would appreciate it. Thanks
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 10:52am
updated with review

ND Dragon, I compared it briefly with Aurus Sound, it's the closest rubber i can compare to in terms of feeling

*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Nice pics. The sponge pores look significantly bigger than the pores on Tenergy sponge.
The sponge of airoc's seems to be like tibhar evolution sponges but in blue version!
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 12:16pm
Thanks for the review Yogi. Any update on the durability of these rubbers? My Calibra LT Spin did not last too long. I am assuming you have been using the Airoc M for a while now to give feedback on its durability.

Thanks.
Dean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 12:19pm
Thanks for your (great) reviewThumbs Up

As I am using the Calibra Sound (FH) I would like to ask you a few questions:
- did you use the old ball or a polyball?
- as you compare its spin potential with (or above) the Calibra Spin I guess it beats the Calibra Sound here?

- is the speed potential comparable to the Calibra Sound?
- would you rate the throw arc of Airoc S slightly higher or equal?

It seems the Airoc S could be a very good alternative/successor for the Calibra Sound that I really like to play on my FH (up to now with the old ball). If the polyball will need a rubber with more spin potential, maybe my Calibra Sound no longer is the best choice, as in my experience it is not a very spinny rubber. 
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 2:33pm
Yogi... does the Oxygen Capsule System improve your energy during matches?

...or did they get mixed with air?
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 7:13pm
Nice review. Few questions though,
You didn't mention how sensitive it is to spin, possibly compare it to the super sensitive Tenergy05 and also the Aurus sound too. If you can give me some clue to compare with maybe a Genius Sound? or any old esn soft tensor if possible. With blocks or maybe when feeding/driving the ball back.
Can you compare maybe how bouncy it is also compared to any of those rubbers too?
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Machine_Head Machine_Head wrote:

Thanks for the review Yogi. Any update on the durability of these rubbers? My Calibra LT Spin did not last too long. I am assuming you have been using the Airoc M for a while now to give feedback on its durability.

Thanks.

the Airoc Series durable enough more durable than the Calibra Series.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Thanks for your (great) reviewThumbs Up

As I am using the Calibra Sound (FH) I would like to ask you a few questions:
- did you use the old ball or a polyball?
- as you compare its spin potential with (or above) the Calibra Spin I guess it beats the Calibra Sound here?

- is the speed potential comparable to the Calibra Sound?
- would you rate the throw arc of Airoc S slightly higher or equal?

It seems the Airoc S could be a very good alternative/successor for the Calibra Sound that I really like to play on my FH (up to now with the old ball). If the polyball will need a rubber with more spin potential, maybe my Calibra Sound no longer is the best choice, as in my experience it is not a very spinny rubber. 

i still need to receive my polyball next week and i will test the rubbers then using polyball. Airoc S is faster than the Calibra Sound but the Calibra Sound has a slightly higher arc

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

Nice review. Few questions though,
You didn't mention how sensitive it is to spin, possibly compare it to the super sensitive Tenergy05 and also the Aurus sound too. If you can give me some clue to compare with maybe a Genius Sound? or any old esn soft tensor if possible. With blocks or maybe when feeding/driving the ball back.
Can you compare maybe how bouncy it is also compared to any of those rubbers too?

The Airoc S is not sensitive to incoming spin and it was better receiving serves compared to the rubbers you have mentioned. All i can say is it feels different from the Genius sound because one the genius sound is slower and feels very mushy on its sponge but the Genius sound is slightly spinnier. that is the tradeoff. Airoc S is faster than both Aurus Sound and Genius Sound (these 2 tensors are very soft) and I would rate them as off- only in terms of speed.

Debraj, no you need to drink the capsule with water first Big smile

Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 5:02am
Hi Yogi, how would you rate hardness for the S and M on a european scale (I've never played with Calibras)? Say, the Joola one, or compared to the different Rhyzm or Maxxx, if you prefer not to give it in degrees.

Edit: didn't read thoroughly, it's 40-42 degrees.

Edited by Bran - 09/14/2014 at 12:44pm
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 8:48am
Nice review as usual, Yogi.

One simple question: About spin, we know that newer ESN rubbers are getting closer to Tenergy on generating spin on slow strokes. How Airoc (M and S) compared to ESN on this?
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 6:12pm
Any area/s where you would favour Calibra LT Spin over the Airoc S Yogi? 

Is it a rubber that would suit most players or are there certain types of players who might not like it? (other than hardness - as one who prefers harder can easily go for Airoc M .... I mean as for attributes). 

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 11:00pm
I wonder why Stiga refuses to make a Tenergy alternative...

Edited by NextLevel - 09/12/2014 at 11:01pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2014 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

Any area/s where you would favour Calibra LT Spin over the Airoc S Yogi? 

Is it a rubber that would suit most players or are there certain types of players who might not like it? (other than hardness - as one who prefers harder can easily go for Airoc M .... I mean as for attributes). 

maybe on the area of slow, spinny looping i like the calibra spin better. i think intermediate players can use the S version easily because they tend to hit through the sponge more than just brushing the ball thinly

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2014 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I wonder why Stiga refuses to make a Tenergy alternative...

Because they don't know how ...

Edited by vvk1 - 09/13/2014 at 12:20pm
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 5:31am
How about the weight. Is it heavier than Calibra lt sound or Tour s? 

Thanks,
Tommi
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 6:56am
I also played with both airoc s and m.
In short I didn't like them at all.

I like tenergy, aurus, h3, acuda s1 turbo, tenzone kind of rubbers and I hate calibra ( sound version is even worse ) desto f3 big slam and boost series etc.

Airoc series are like a big brother to calibra tour series. A bit more speed and spin. But against rasant, rasant grip, bluefire, bluefire turbo, tenzone etc airoc lacks a lot of spin. And it's not that crazy fast. Good thing is they are not heavy.
I get them free but I didn't like them so I decided to make an experiment. So I used falco long booster. At the same time I boosted a boost TX for a friend and boost TX reacted very good but airocs didn't react much. 2 layers in 12 hours but there's not much of an effect.
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 7:13am
This could be because the Airoc are already heavily boosted. Was your friend's Boost new or used? It would react more if used.
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 10:09am
There was reverse dome so I don't think it's already boosted but I'm not sure.
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by TSuBaSa TSuBaSa wrote:

Airoc series are like a big brother to calibra tour series. A bit more speed and spin. But against rasant, rasant grip, bluefire, bluefire turbo, tenzone etc airoc lacks a lot of spin. And it's not that crazy fast. Good thing is they are not heavy.

Generally that seems like a good BH choice to me... 

I like to play:

FH: fast, spinny, grippy good looping but also driving rubbers (Adidas P7 is my choice but Aurus, Tenergy, Rakza 7, Acuda S1 are all nice choices too)

BH: fast (but not crazy fast), good spin for opening loop (ability to lift and be dangerous), but then more emphasis on driving yet maintaining enough spin for BH spins, insensitive to incoming spin, light, and good at blocking.... with these in mind I went for Calibra LT Spin and I am very satisfied... however Airoc seems like a good choice too - although probably Airoc M as rubbers which are too soft do not feel right to me - I like the direct feeling you get from medium (or even medium soft) rubbers.

If anyone likes these same qualities - having played with Calibra LT Spin , I can highly recommend it.... and from Yogi's review and Tsubasa's comments it seems that Arioc (S or M depending on personal preference) can do the same job. If I come across someone who has one I'd definitely like to try it and compare to Calibra LT Spin directly. Yogi's comment that slow spinny looping maybe better with Calibra might indicate that opening loops are easier with Calibra LT Spin - in fact I find them easy enough.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2014 at 2:19pm
I tried the Airoc Soft 2.1 last week. To me this rubber is kind of strange. It doesn't feel and play like soft rubber at all, it has the stable feel of japanese rubber. The feel was kinda similar to Omega IV Asia which is rated much harder. The rubber is fast and and it produces good spin but for a soft rubber the feel is rather hard and stable. Normally I use Calibra LT Spin and I like the soft feel and glue sound of that rubber. It has a very nice feel when looping and it's great for punch blocking. Airoc Soft maybe spinnier but the feel is not there, blocking was horrible. Both rubbers were used on a Clipper Wood WRB with the Tibhar poly ball. I must say that the polyball could have influenced my thoughts, because blocking with this Tibhar ball is crap!

Edited by Skyline - 10/05/2014 at 2:20pm
rocketscientist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketscientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

I tried the Airoc Soft 2.1 last week. To me this rubber is kind of strange. It doesn't feel and play like soft rubber at all, it has the stable feel of japanese rubber. The feel was kinda similar to Omega IV Asia which is rated much harder. The rubber is fast and and it produces good spin but for a soft rubber the feel is rather hard and stable. Normally I use Calibra LT Spin and I like the soft feel and glue sound of that rubber. It has a very nice feel when looping and it's great for punch blocking. Airoc Soft maybe spinnier but the feel is not there, blocking was horrible. Both rubbers were used on a Clipper Wood WRB with the Tibhar poly ball. I must say that the polyball could have influenced my thoughts, because blocking with this Tibhar ball is crap!

haha, I agree 100% with you on the Tibhar ball! I have never played with a more terrible ball!

Regarding to the Airoc, have not got the opportunity to try it yet but I have heard great things of it.
I used to play with Tenergy 05-FX but quite frankly, its to damn expensive for my taste!

Will try the Airoc by a friend in my club next week. And not on the Tibhar Poly Ball Tongue
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by rocketscientist rocketscientist wrote:

Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

haha, I agree 100% with you on the Tibhar ball! I have never played with a more terrible ball!

Regarding to the Airoc, have not got the opportunity to try it yet but I have heard great things of it.
I used to play with Tenergy 05-FX but quite frankly, its to damn expensive for my taste!

Will try the Airoc by a friend in my club next week. And not on the Tibhar Poly Ball Tongue

The bounce is very low and inconsistent compared to the celluloid ball. The xu shao fa ball is so much better. I don't think the tibhar polyball affected the rubber feel though! It's a more stable feel than other Stiga rubber takes time to get used if you're coming from calibra lt spin like me. But I wouldn't be surprised if you like the feel more since your coming from T05 fx. I do think it will significantly harder though.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 10:45am
The Airoc S is a reallly weird rubber. It doesn't behave like a soft rubber at all and it has the feel of a classic japanese rubber. Compared to Calibra LT Spin it lacks speed and feeling. The rubber just doesn't grip the ball properly.

I don't understand because acording to your Review, my findings are really strange. What do you think Yogi?

Edited by Skyline - 10/22/2014 at 10:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic