Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrade Suggestions Again :P

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade Suggestions Again :P
    Posted: 09/14/2014 at 1:47pm
Hi pros, here is my current setup:

BLADE: Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon 7 Ply

FH: Yasaka Rakza 7

BH: Yasaka Mark V

I've been using it for the past 7 months and enjoyed every bit, I've improved my BH to the extent that I can now do much more than simple blocks or slices, and my FH has become way more consistent and powerful, so thanks to all the members who helped me with this setup.

Now I'm looking to transition into modern setups, want to taste the flavours of newer blades and rubbers and need your suggestions again.

I'm an attacker and play actively with my FH, trying to get a point with a 3rd ball smash or topspin placed accurately at either side of the table. I have many different types of serves but I try to generate as much spin as possible and I do a lot of FH topspin loops. My BH is my weaker side, I mostly just slice or block the return but do go for the kill when required and have started looping with some amount of topspin as well. I also serve with my BH and try to generate spin and speed to get the point on service. But I need to improve my BH service returns as I only slice or chock most of the service returns, whereas I want to be able to loop and return the ball over the net with my BH.

The following are my requirements but you guys can suggest whatever you think is best for me:

Blade= OFF- or OFF but not OFF+ basically faster than Ma Lin SC, same weight or just a tad heavier, similar kind of flared handle, the more comfortable the handle the better, suggest a few carbon blades and a few wood blades, should not be brittle at the edges, should last long :P

Thinking to purchase 1 Carbon and 1 Wood but should not be more than $100 each ( I'm thinking to choose from the top 10 rated blades at tabletennisdb those that fit my budget but also interested in YEO, Primorac, Donic Testra AR Plus, Tibhar Stratus Power Wood, )

FH= faster more spinnier than Rakza 7 without losing the control factor, should be able to do a lot of spin on service but should also be good on opponents service pickup. Should be able to produce a lot of topspin

Might purchase 2 or 3 different rubbers but should not be more than $70 each ( I'm thinking to choose from the top 10 rated rubbers at tabletennisdb those that fit my budget but also interested in Rakza 9 , DONIC Coppa series, Fastarc series, Rhyzm, Joola Maxxx series, Bluefire series, Tenery series, Adidas P7, Andro Rasant series )

BH= a tad faster than Mark V, a tad spinnier but control should be same if not better and allow me to easily generate good spin on serves and loops and generate decent topspin. By backhand still needs a lot of work as I still mostly block or push the ball with it, however I want to become more active so any rubber which will help me with that

Might purchase 2 or 3 different rubbers but should not be more than $50 each ( thinking about Rakza 7, Rakza 9, Mark V HPS, or something similar in that budget and category )

Thanks in advance!

Edited by unstopabl3 - 09/14/2014 at 2:11pm
Sponsored Links

spinitgood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spinitgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 2:04pm
For FH, Try rasant powersponge. I personally love it. On the BH, you can already try the Razka 7 and see how you manage it.
Rasant Grip max on FH,Rasant powersponge max on BH
Glued on a Ross Leidy custom blade - mahogany mahogany spruce mahogany mahogany
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 2:08pm
If you're going to spend that kind of money just get tenergy on both sides. There  hasn't been a rubber that beats tenergy yet, and it's used by just about every pro ever.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 2:13pm
Blade = Timo Boll Spirit or Viscaria
Forehand = Sigma 2 Pro
Backhand = Rakza 7 soft
Problem = Solved
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 2:16pm
Blade: Maze ALC
Forehand : adidas P7
Backhand : razka 7 soft.
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 2:17pm
Thanks for the quick replies, I've updated my first post with some more details and made some corrections, so please do go over it again.

Thanks
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 2:23pm
Hi,
I suggest you Samsonov Power Wood
6.2mm thickness bade this blade excellent choise,it can be found for 30$

it is much better than a regular korbel,proving really good speed for a 5ply wood

rubbers are very individual,

But Acuda S1 or Baracuda are rubbers which you might give a try.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 2:32pm
my 1c:

carbon: stiga sense 7.6, onsale for $62, free shipping if 75 Euro:

http://tabletennisequipment.dandoy-sports.com/en/product_info.php?pName=stiga-sense-76&cName=blades

wood: stiga hybrid wood, onsale for $67 + 12 shipping:

http://www.ttex.se/stiga-hybrid-wood-p-493.html

Rubber: Tenergy if you have sufficient fund, else,

FH: Rasant series or Bluefire M2;
BH: Rakza 7 soft or Bluefire M3;

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 4:17pm

Your blade is perfectly fine. If you want faster and spinnier then just upgrade the rubber or thickness. Tenergys, Calibra's, Rakza 9, 1Q, Bluefire. Also Barracuda for BH is a step up in spin for you and is a beast for BH opening loops. :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 4:32pm
You got to be kidding...

These suggestions are awful. Tbs or m. Maze as a blade and rakza7 on bh? He just started to loop, he mostly push or block guys...
I think you should keep your blade. If you have to change than osp virtuoso is just a great blade. Not slow and tons of control and feeling.

On bh you can have a desto f3 (not big slam) with 2.0mm sponge. Or yanus df 2.0mm . Maybe you can boost your mark v and keep playing with it.

On fh you can try rakza9 , bluefire m2 or acuda s2 . These are not too fast but fairly fast and spinny.
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 6:27pm
Need to change the blade as I'll be giving this to my brother :P

And want to keep two blades in my arsenal with different sets of rubbers for testing and improving my game gradually :P

Edited by unstopabl3 - 09/14/2014 at 6:29pm
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 6:37pm
it is probably better to stick to one setup only since
switching will change your hand feel.
also, only after a long long time using
the same setup, you may know all
small details of your setup and use its
characteristics.
808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 2:40am
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

And want to keep two blades in my arsenal with different sets of rubbers for testing and improving my game gradually :P

As long as you understand that progress will become even more gradual if you keep changing your setups. But I get where you're coming from though - how can you know if you are using equipment best suited to you if you don't try them all? There is definitely fun in trying out new gear and sometimes you need to educate yourself on the different properties of different constructions, etc. but just recognize that you can't fix holes in your game by changing your rubber or blade and also that over time your gear preferences may change as well.
Anyway have fun and enjoy EJing! And updated video of you playing ...
BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 3:01am
my 2 cents fwiw:

Blade: Waldner Senso Carbon
FH rubber: Maxxx 400 2.0
BH rubber: Rakza 7 soft 2.0
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 3:08am
TBalc or viscaria, T05 on fh and barracuda on bh
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 3:27am

Rubber

4H - Tenergy 05 max

BH - Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0 sponge
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 3:40am
Since Dandoy has special offers on blades and rubbers at the moment so I would get them all in one place.

If you want one wood and one carbon then I would suggest Stiga Intensity NCT ($72) and Intensity Carbon ($90). Difference between the two is kept to minimum so it won't totally mess your feeling when switching.

For rubbers their buy 2 get 1 free deal is sweet so I would say Donic JP01 Turbo for FH ($105) and Stiga Airoc S for BH ($106). So you will have 6 rubbers in total with 2 in spare or sell to cover some cost. Plus free shipping and free blades assembling, really can't be beaten.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Argothman Argothman wrote:

If you're going to spend that kind of money just get tenergy on both sides. There  hasn't been a rubber that beats tenergy yet, and it's used by just about every pro ever.

+1.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 5:28am
Originally posted by 808ponger 808ponger wrote:

Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

As long as you understand that progress will become even more gradual if you keep changing your setups. But I get where you're coming from though - how can you know if you are using equipment best suited to you if you don't try them all? There is definitely fun in trying out new gear and sometimes you need to educate yourself on the different properties of different constructions, etc. but just recognize that you can't fix holes in your game by changing your rubber or blade and also that over time your gear preferences may change as well.
Anyway have fun and enjoy EJing! And updated video of you playing ...

+2.

Usually, the biggest reason to change equipment is to move to a different class of blade from what you are currently using (usually slower or faster). Going for something slightly different in the same class is a waste of time unless you tried someone else's blade and preferred the feel of the outer ply which is different from yours. Rather than buy from internet recommendations, go to your club, borrow and test extensively. But if your strokes are not consistent, doing anything other than trying a slower blade is usually a waster of time.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 5:44am
Blade: M. Maze (Awesome range of speed and control, with very comfortable handles)
FH : Tenergy 05 (Believe the hype. Nuff said...)
BH: Tenergy 25 FX (Will keep more balls on the table with block push style and developing loop)

Edited by CraneStyle - 09/15/2014 at 8:46am
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 1:29pm
Having tried YEO, Primorac, Korbel, TB ALC.

I would HIGHLY recommend Primorac as your all wood blade. IMO best beginner to even advanced blade out there by Butterfly. YEO is fast and does give a lot of feedback in terms of vibrations, but doesn't have the same feel as the flexy limba blades such as Primorac and Korbel.

There are plenty of good opinions about Tibhar Stratus Power Wood as well.

For your carbon blade, I've only tried one and currently using it so I cant really recommend much besides TB ALC itself but its out of your price range. Most BTY carbon blades are 100+ so you might want to look else where for a carbon blade. Maybe XIOM. V1, Ignito or Stradivarius are all great carbon blades based on reviews.

As for rubbers, every one compares high end rubbers to Tenergy so you cant go wrong with them. T05 FH is by far best one ive tried. BH is tricky because not everyone likes a bouncy very spinny rubber on their BH. Its preference in the end.

Having tried Bluefire M series briefly, its a very nice rubber. Definitely a tenergy clone.

Edited by DreiZ - 09/15/2014 at 1:29pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 11:03pm

Quite untrue - lots of pros using Acuda S1, Sigma 1 pro, Sigma 2 Pro and Tour, and also a few using Adidas Tenzone Ultra, Xiom Omega series, Donic Bluefire series (both M and JP)... 

Many strong, experienced amateur players I know prefer some other rubber to Tenergy and when I say strong I refer to 2200+ USATT level.

Tenergy05 is up there with Xiom Sigma and Acuda S1, other tenergies are on par with Adidas, Xiom Omega, Donic Bluefire etc... 

However Tenergy is not the only choice and is not always the favoured choice by  pros - it's just that among the world top 100 many are sponsored by butterfly. In reality if you look at lower pro players - especially those who buy their own stuff - Tenergy is just another excellent rubber among these excellent choices, and is chosen around about equally often as these other rubbers. 

I do not think playing with and of the mentioned rubbers (and even some others) would give anyone a disadvantage over a Tenergy user nowadays. 
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 11:12pm
Blade: OSP Virtuoso (this is just about the very best Off- blade ever!)
Forehand : adidas P7 2.0mm (great spin, nice speed controllable, durable - highest quality rubber)
Backhand : Stiga Calibra LT Spin 2.0mm ( good blocks, insensitive to incoming spin, good opening loop, fast but not crazy fast - pushes will require adjustment but with practice will not be hard, best of all drives are excellent - and a player learning to spin consistently should drive more and add spin as he becomes more confident)

This is actually my current setup!
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Johnny Erasure View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Johnny Erasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 11:26pm
Blade: TBS or Viscaria
FH: Joola Rhyzm 425
BH: Acuda S2
Blade: JM ZLC
Rubbers: FH Dignics 09C
            BH Dignics 05
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63937&KW=Johnny+Erasure&PID=764628&title=feedback-for-j
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

Quite untrue - lots of pros using Acuda S1, Sigma 1 pro, Sigma 2 Pro and Tour, and also a few using Adidas Tenzone Ultra, Xiom Omega series, Donic Bluefire series (both M and JP)... 

Many strong, experienced amateur players I know prefer some other rubber to Tenergy and when I say strong I refer to 2200+ USATT level.

Tenergy05 is up there with Xiom Sigma and Acuda S1, other tenergies are on par with Adidas, Xiom Omega, Donic Bluefire etc... 

However Tenergy is not the only choice and is not always the favoured choice by  pros - it's just that among the world top 100 many are sponsored by butterfly. In reality if you look at lower pro players - especially those who buy their own stuff - Tenergy is just another excellent rubber among these excellent choices, and is chosen around about equally often as these other rubbers. 

I do not think playing with and of the mentioned rubbers (and even some others) would give anyone a disadvantage over a Tenergy user nowadays. 

Clarence is my new best friend. Tenergy was the best rubber line for a very strong and long 4 years. However, in the post-2012 world we live in, most of the current offerings match the performance of Tenergy. Xiom (Sigma 2, Omega 5) and Tibhar's (Evolution) current rubbers even exceed Tenergy in durability.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 2:14am
Surely not a Tenergy bashing session... Again...

If Tenergy is no longer "In-Vogue" I'll consider myself as retro...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 8:23am
Tenergy is excellent but no more excellent that other top rubbers (good that GeneralSpecific also mentioned Tibhar Evolution). I personally feel that most of the newer top end rubbers exceed Tenergy's playing capabilities - for example I would chose Adidas P7 over Tenergy05 FX without hisitation. 

Now among players who know and understand the game - it is another valid option among the other top end rubbers... nothing more than that. For some it's still a favourite, while many have migrated to Sigma for example.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 10:18am
Are we making personnal recommendations for the OP or bashing other people's selection...?

A question comming from a player that knows and understands the game...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

Are we making personnal recommendations for the OP or bashing other people's selection...?

A question comming from a player that knows and understands the game...

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 4:20pm
Easy lads no need to start a flame thread :P

After taking consideration of all the recommendations here and doing my research online, still need more help guys.

Firstly, a blade under $150, please select the best from these as they all seem same to me so confused:

Timo Boll ALC   = $136 (megaspin)

Timo Boll Spirit  = $122 (megaspin)

Butterfly Michael Maze = $122 (megaspin)

Butterfly Viscaria / Viscaria Light = $122 (megaspin)

THEN

Compare the best one from above with:

Butterfly Zhang Jike = $147 (megaspin)

Secondly, a blade under $100 from these or recommend something better???:

Butterfly Primorac EX = $68 (megaspin)

Butterfly Primorac = $67 (megaspin)

Donic Waldner Senso Carbon =  $60 (tt11)

TIBHAR STRATUS POWER WOOD = $43 (tt11)

Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive = $43 (tt11)

Thinking to put a couple of these on FH:

Tenergy 05
Adidas P7
Rasant
Acuda S2 / S3
Bluefire M2 / M3
Maxxx 400 / 500

Thinking to put a couple of these on BH:

Rakza 7 soft
Rakza 9
Baracuda
Bluefire M3

So please suggest the blades accordingly, and also mention the best tried combinations.

Thanks so much in advance everyone!

Edited by unstopabl3 - 09/16/2014 at 4:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic