Topic ClosedFor Sale scammers at MyTT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: For Sale scammers at MyTT
    Posted: 09/14/2014 at 2:20pm
The For Sale section here at MyTT is a popular feature where people can buy, sell, and trade for used and sometimes new equipment of various sorts.  While only a subset of our forum members actively buy and sell there, everybody might be interested when we have identified people who have used that section to rip off other members---and in effect to commit internet fraud.  We take a very dim view of this and permanently ban members who do it.  As moderator of that section I have created a stickied thread in which we identify members who are known scammers, by name and location when it is possible to do it.  I am not taking that step lightly.  We need to get the attention of potential scammers, and they need to know that their names will show up on future Google searches.  They also need to know that we will often get their names. 
Sponsored Links

viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 5:23pm
About Time I say Good job Baal Clap. People need to realize cheating has some consequences.
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 5:50pm
Well done and well said, Baal.  Thank you!  Thumbs Up
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I am not taking that step lightly.  We need to get the attention of potential scammers, and they need to know that their names will show up on future Google searches.  They also need to know that we will often get their names. 

Like everyone here, I despise scammers.  I think a certain amount of "policing" within the forum is acceptable.  However, when MYTT starts expanding more, it might be ripe for abuse... Baal's great detective work notwithstanding.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 12:17am
Thanks Baal. Great job.
I am not that familiar with US law but when committing fraud across state lines and using US Post - aren't those considered serious crimes in the USA? 
Perhaps if he is an international student, he might not realize how serious these little transactions might be.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 12:18am
Theologian deserves most of the credit for detective work. 

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to be careful using paypal, especially with people you do not know well, new to the forum, and without any feedback.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 12:20am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Thanks Baal. Great job.
I am not that familiar with US law but when committing fraud across state lines and using US Post - aren't those considered serious crimes in the USA? 
Perhaps if he is an international student, he might not realize how serious these little transactions might be.

Cameron, our resident scammer, is from the US, not a foreign student.  He is quite aware of the laws, as Theologian has reminded him.

The guy he tried to pin it on, by creating an account here and a fake email address in his name, is from abroad, and was nearly a victim in this.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 1:29am
good job man
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 1:57am
totally awesome.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 5:47am
Wow... Really scary stuff. It seems like transacting with people you know is probably the only way to go.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 7:58am
Good job Baal, MYTT mods and all members trying to keep this forum clean.

From a legal and justice standing point - is there anything that can be done here?

Banning and prevention is always good and i'm sure everyone is greatful for the hard effort by mods here. But if there is no punishment from a legal and justice standing point, these guys will come back and con some other people. I believe more scammers will surface.

From a prevention point of view - I think some members may need more education. So maybe this threads can be a sticky and teach new and unfamiliar members on what kind of scammers you have out there, and the ways they opperate.

Edited by ZApenholder - 09/15/2014 at 8:03am
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 8:12am
I am impressed!
How is possible to be a student and do not realize all these bad things you are doing...how they will reflect on your future, Cameron ?
Today in the era of new technologies I doubt someone could be hidden behind the system.
Everything is visible, Cameron!
Take your best to return everything you got from the members here, that is my honest advice.

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 8:14am
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Good job Baal, MYTT mods and all members trying to keep this forum clean.

From a legal and justice standing point - is there anything that can be done here?

Banning and prevention is always good and i'm sure everyone is greatful for the hard effort by mods here. But if there is no punishment from a legal and justice standing point, these guys will come back and con some other people. I believe more scammers will surface.

From a prevention point of view - I think some members may need more education. So maybe this threads can be a sticky and teach new and unfamiliar members on what kind of scammers you have out there, and the ways they opperate.

If there is no official request to the police from the member/s that Cameron has cheated, then nothing could be done. It seems he is thinking nobody will call and write request to the police for just a blade/rubber, because usually these things are not so big in his eyes.
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 8:56am
There are several federal and state & local laws that have been broken. Identity theft, wire fraud, theft, money laundering, possession of stolen goods... Kolevtt is right. If the victim(s) and moderators who know who the criminal is do not act together and go to the police, the scamming will continue.
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 9:41am
Originally posted by gnopgnipster gnopgnipster wrote:

There are several federal and state & local laws that have been broken. Identity theft, wire fraud, theft, money laundering, possession of stolen goods... Kolevtt is right. If the victim(s) and moderators who know who the criminal is do not act together and go to the police, the scamming will continue.

It is 99% likely that local police receives hundreds of complaints like these and cannot fully investigate them. They will probably file it with thanks to Baal and the_theologian but it will be put on the shelf until "later".

What will be - likely - much more effective approach (if we intend to make an impression on the scammer) is to forward all the documents/proofs/copies etc to the college. They must have some local government or ethics committee or dean of students. Let them deal with it - especially since the scam was done not only by their student but also intended as an identity theft against one of their other students.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 9:47am
...using equipment that belongs to the school.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 9:50am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

It is 99% likely that local police receives hundreds of complaints like these and cannot fully investigate them. They will probably file it with thanks to Baal and the_theologian but it will be put on the shelf until "later".

What will be - likely - much more effective approach (if we intend to make an impression on the scammer) is to forward all the documents/proofs/copies etc to the college. They must have some local government or ethics committee or dean of students. Let them deal with it - especially since the scam was done not only by their student but also intended as an identity theft against one of their other students.

Do you get a police case number when you file the case?
If yes, then provide this case number, together with supporting documents to the college too.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 10:01am
the best prevention is to not let the buyers pay as gift using paypal
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 10:11am
Theologian and I are looking into the next steps. Not much more to say for the moment.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 10:26am
See 200 years ago we get on the horses, go hang this fkker off a tree, and go get drunk at the bar. You gota miss the simplicity. 
On the downside, ZLC blades would be very hard to find.

puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 10:41am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

That is true. But! If you hand the police the case in a "silver platter" as is apparently the case here, I don't know of any detective who is not willing to take an easy "stat." That being said did the "scammer" actually go through with his schemes, or was he thwarted by alert victims and moderators? Did he or she return the goods after confronted? Did he or she actually create accounts in the name of other people ie. with Paypal to further his criminal enterprise? This are sample questions (and many more) likely to come up when talking to the police and whoever files the report should be ready to answer.

CHEERS! 

Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 11:44am
this thread's relation to fraud has given me an excuse to check out MYTT at work while I review other bad  guys. HAHA! 

Seriously, this was awesome. Good job to everyone who dug this up. It's always the guys like this who have exactly what I want to buy, too. So the temptation is there, but the fear of getting scammed is there even stronger. 

Big time kudos. 

Edited by beeray1 - 09/15/2014 at 11:46am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 11:53am
You know, what makes me think is that I actually asked him makira sell me one of his blades for $5 lower than his offer. He didn't bite, but I can only wonder why and what if..
Cybershape Carbon
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 11:56am
Is there any fraud reporting system at Paypal? Perhaps paypal can cut this guy off, unless he is using other credit cards and bank accounts with different names.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

this thread's relation to fraud has given me an excuse to check out MYTT at work while I review other bad  guys. HAHA! 

Seriously, this was awesome. Good job to everyone who dug this up. It's always the guys like this who have exactly what I want to buy, too. So the temptation is there, but the fear of getting scammed is there even stronger. 

Big time kudos. 

If you are an expert at this, I may at some point have some technical questions for you.
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 2:53pm
I'm often wary of new members who appear just a bit too enthusiastic by responding to many threads, starting their own threads about various topics, and being quick to express agreement with others, all within a short time, as though in an attempt to befriend and gain trust quickly.
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

I'm often wary of new members who appear just a bit too enthusiastic by responding to many threads, starting their own threads about various topics, and being quick to express agreement with others, all within a short time, as though in an attempt to befriend and gain trust quickly.

I have done this...I am responding to many threads, not starting my own threads though, and I express agreements and disagreements with others...what that means?I am a scammer?
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

I have done this...I am responding to many threads, not starting my own threads though, and I express agreements and disagreements with others...what that means?I am a scammer?

My post agreeing with racquetsale got lost, but what you have posted is too long, substantial and intelligent to qualify.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 3:12pm
Edited.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/15/2014 at 4:32pm
Cybershape Carbon
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 3:26pm
Thanks, Baal.
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic