FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

DHS FH / BH Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aob View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DHS FH / BH Help
    Posted: 09/18/2014 at 10:06am
Calling all DHS experts!

I'm an improving player, about 1400-1500 rating, who plays a two wing attacking game. I currently use a pre-made Palio bat, but the rubbers are getting rather shiny, and I think it's time to upgrade. I've had a hit with a few club members setups and I generally prefer the feel of Chinese rubbers with hard sponge over the European ones with softer sponge and in-built tension.

I have been looking at the DHS website, and have some questions for the collective mind:

1. As a general rule, what is the difference between neo and non-neo versions of the hurricane and skyline rubbers? I understand that the neo is 'factory-tuned' and thus might be a bit faster and also softer. I'm a learning player, so don't want something too fast. Would
neo or non-neo suit me best, as a general rule?

From the numbers on the website, it seems all the Neo versions are faster and spinnier, but have lower control. This makes me think the non-neo ones might suit me better.

2. What's the difference, in general, between the skyline range of rubbers and the hurricane range of rubbers?

From analysing the numbers on the website it seems they are described as 'grippy' rather than 'sticky' - what does this mean? Which would be better for spinny serves?

3. What would be to choose between the H3 and H2? From the website it seems that H2 is harder, spinnier and faster (and slightly less controlled). This would suggest that H2 would be better for FH than BH.

4. What is to choose between TG2 and TG3? From the website it seems that TG3 is a bit harder and faster, but slightly less controlled. Again, his would suggest that TG3 would be better than TG2 for FH.

5. G888, looks like the spinniest rubber DHS make, whilst being the slowest of the hard sponges. I don't know anything about this rubber - can you give some more ideas on this?

6. G777 also looks to be a nice rubber, being good control with plenty of spin and not too much speed. Can you tell me some more about this?

I will get an allround 5 play wooden blade (perhaps the DHS Wang Li Qin Magic) for these rubbers.

I think my requirements are:

- I would want something slightly softer on the BH
- I want maximum spin with maximum control, and am less concerned about speed

From my analysis of the data on the website, I think either G888 or H2 on the FH and either G777 or TG2 on the BH would be best. What do you think?
Sponsored Links

hhca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 11:07am
go with H3/TG2 for FH. For BH, we don't see a lot of uses for the likes of H3/TG2/H2/TG3 from the pros (wang Nan was an exception who has h3 on both fh and bh).
Not much difference between neo and non-neo with the new topsheet (i.e., the grippy but less sticky ones found recently) 
not much difference between Hx and TGx either in my experience: you can switch between them and adapt to it in about 5 minutes.

TG2 more control/spin. TG3 more speed. I never liked TG3 either the old sticky one or the neo one. The difference between TG3 and TG2 for the old sheet is greater than the differences between neo TG2 and neo TG3: i.e., I can adapt to neo TG3 quicker from neo TG2 than the old sheet.

few pros use H2, the same goes true for amatures.
typn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 11:17am
try h3/tg3 FH and h3-50 BH (just like Xu Xin)
Blade -- DHS Long V
FH -- DHS H3
BH -- DHS TG3-60
aob View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 11:34am
Originally posted by hhca hhca wrote:

For BH, we don't see a lot of uses for the likes of H3/TG2/H2/TG3 from the pros (wang Nan was an exception who has h3 on both fh and bh).

I noticed the pros tend to go for something softer on the BH.  I'm keen to stay in the DHS family - maybe Memo or Dipper or TNT would be worth a look, although TBH I had a go on a friend's who has TNT and Dipper, and I just don't much like softer sponge.

few pros use H2, the same goes true for amatures.

Yeah, at pro level since glue ban, I'd guess the extra from the Neo (or national tuned stuff) makes a difference.  At my level I'm just looking at the difference and thinking H2 looks like a slightly harder, spinnier, more controlled H3.
aob View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 11:37am
Originally posted by typn typn wrote:

try h3/tg3 FH and h3-50 BH (just like Xu Xin)

There weren't any ratings for h3-50 on the DHS website, so I couldn't add it to my spreadsheet.  I was given a sheet of H3 with #19 sponge (the pale orange one) - I wonder if it's similar.  Maybe that would be a good BH to a H3 / TG3?  Only problem is that it's black, and I've heard that the black rubbers are a bit tackier and better for serving, and I tend to mostly serve FH.  I guess I could serve and twiddle, but it seems most folk put H3/TG3 on the FH with black rather than red.

I have a friend who knows a person who went out to China for a training camp this summer and played with the new balls.  She said that most everyone is going for harder sponge as a consequence... data point.
hhca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 11:39am

H2 has a lower throw than H3 and it is also less forgiving in your swing: more unforced errors with H2. It is probably faster but definitely not spinnier than H3.

aob View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 11:49am
Originally posted by hhca hhca wrote:

H2 has a lower throw than H3 and it is also less forgiving in your swing: more unforced errors with H2. It is probably faster but definitely not spinnier than H3.

Interesting.  I know we have to take manufacturer's ratings with a pinch of salt, but within a manufacturer's range you'd have thought the numbers would be indicative?

I have:

- 95/89/56 spin/speed/control for H2
- 95/88/57 spin/speed/control for H3

So that would agree with you - not spinnier, a but quicker, not so easy to control, and on a harder sponge.  So probably vanilla H3 would be better.
aob View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 11:55am
The one's I'm really curious about are the G888 and G777.  Again, if the DHS specs are to be believed, we have:

- G888: 97/86/57
- H3: 95/88/57

This would make G888 just what I want - not so fast, more spinny, and good control.  But I don't know anyone using it.  I think DHS used to stick it on the other side of H3 on a premade (now they're sticking Tin Arc instead).  The research I've done on old posts suggests that G888 evolved into H2 into H3... so maybe it's a very old rubber.  It also seems to be very heavy.  Just wondering if anyone has any recent experience?  The reviews on tabletennisdb are excellent.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic