FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Yinhe Big Dipper - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 21>
Author
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 1:20pm
It's much slower if you drive it, but not that slow at topspin play
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

I do like the MX-P and still have it on a Violin which I use once a while just for kicks.  Is the BD close to it in speed?

In most ways, yes, if my memory serves me right.  A bit slower when flat hitting, but for most other things, it is pretty similar.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Avallo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avallo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 10:31pm
Big Dipper is so crazy...
need a right blade to make it great...
not too stiff but need a little powerful blade...

from my experience
stiga ebenholz V and Bty TB Alc/Viscaria is a nice partner

an indonesian tennis table maniac

MY FEEDBACK

tjafsaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjafsaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 8:05am
Anyone know how it will behave on W968?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 8:31am
tried my 40 degree sample red max from yinhe. i tuned it and it felt weird!! it clicks when i hit it but it felt slow and not as spinny. im loving the moon speed though
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 8:33am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

tried my 40 degree sample red max from yinhe. i tuend it and it felt weird!! it clicks when i hit it but it felt slow and not as spinny. im loving the moon speed though

Did you tune it before or after you first tried it?  The rubber is already heavily tuned.
Cybershape Carbon
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 8:34am

tried my 40 degree sample red max from yinhe. i tuend it and it felt weird!! it clicks when i hit it but it felt slow and not as spinny. im loving the moon speed though

What were your impressions before tuning?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 8:38am
i didn't try it untuned because i never like 40 degree rubbers.  although their 40 degree sponge seems softer than the dhs 40 degree version
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 8:40am
Yes, it's definitely softer than DHS.  Same goes for the 39.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 8:46am

i didn't try it untuned because i never like 40 degree rubbers.  although their 40 degree sponge seems softer than the dhs 40 degree version

Well, that was a mistake.  As every previous review has pointed out, Big Dipper had a softer feeling sponge - whether tuning drove that or the sponge is just different was not clear.  In any case, at least, I now know how to interpret any comments you make about the rubber.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/23/2015 at 8:47am
Cybershape Carbon
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 10:31am
The hardness comparison was made before it was tuned. It is way softer now maybe like 38 degrees because of the oil i applied and r layers of booster. I think it's more of the oil's fault

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 10:45am
So you don't like 40 deg rubbers, you tested its hardness and saw it didn't feel as hard but you still went ahead and tuned it?

Edited by NextLevel - 01/23/2015 at 10:47am
Cybershape Carbon
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2015 at 7:03pm
yes, coz i wanted it to be softer. it was a sample yinhe sent me anyway. i think the real culprit is the baby oil i applied that made the sponge weird. the revolution no. 3 booster made it curl for 2 weeks now and still hasn't flatten. i applied 4=5 layers in a span of 3 days and it curled like it was before i glued it and then i added 2 layers of baby oil to soften it up. 

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2015 at 10:17am
Just to modify something I said previously. I gave my 40 to a clubmate after trial. I tried it Thursday night and it had become quite tacky. still fast for being so tacky. I wouldn't want it any softer though being so tacky. I thought it played great.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 2:29pm
I played w BD with 38 degree sponge last night with a LQ-1 defensive blade and really liked it. Indeed I am a worried since most of the time I dislike chinese rubbers till they have broken in after a few sessions. It remains to be seen how it breaks in, but this stuff hits better off the table than any other chinese rubber I have tried to date. Much better than thors.

I am surprised to hear it compared to H3. I have never had an H3 sheet (I probably have tried it 3 times including a H3neo) play anything like this. But have never really tuned. I did not speed glue H3 back in the day but did use a number of layers of rubber cement.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I played w BD with 38 degree sponge last night with a LQ-1 defensive blade and really liked it. Indeed I am a worried since most of the time I dislike chinese rubbers till they have broken in after a few sessions. It remains to be seen how it breaks in, but this stuff hits better off the table than any other chinese rubber I have tried to date. Much better than thors.

I am surprised to hear it compared to H3. I have never had an H3 sheet (I probably have tried it 3 times including a H3neo) play anything like this. But have never really tuned. I did not speed glue H3 back in the day but did use a number of layers of rubber cement.

Be careful when speaking to people who regularly use Chinese rubbers when they speak about Big Dipper.  As a former Tenergy 05 user who also never boosts, Big Dipper is the only Chinese rubber that I have ever been able to work with without feeling that I was really losing something away from the table or even sometimes at the table (I wanted something that blocked closer to an Euro rubber and this does except for the tack).  H3 users find it too springy and call it slow because they want to do their extra physical loops with it or too fast because of its catapult.  I prefer the Big Dipper behavior coming from Tenergy 05.  I tried Tenergy 80 two days ago and I dropped the paddle and started looping with Big Dipper again.  After a few loops, the guy who was blocking stopped blocking and asked me what I was using, saying that the contrast in quality was obvious for my looping style and this rubber was so much grippier/tackier.  He then tried it and the contrast in quality was also clear and positive for his looping style.  I don't play 10 feet off the table so there might be limitations I don't see, but from a spin perspective with the plastic ball especially, this is a winner.  IT's for people who always liked Chinese rubbers but didn't boost and didn't want to play like Hercules all the time.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/29/2015 at 3:13pm
Cybershape Carbon
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

I do like the MX-P and still have it on a Violin which I use once a while just for kicks.  Is the BD close to it in speed?

In most ways, yes, if my memory serves me right.  A bit slower when flat hitting, but for most other things, it is pretty similar.

geez - it must be super fast. To me, MX-P feels like T05 with a couple of layers of booster on it. Is it heavier than T05 / MX-P?
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 3:18pm
That's because MX-P probably does have a couple layers of booster on it. :P
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 3:21pm
I think the Big Dipper really is a hybrid (I haven't tried 38, but I really enjoy 39).  There are similarities to both euro style and chinese style rubbers.  Before BD, I was using H3 Neo Prov and before that I was using T05.  
I feel like it fits in the middle on all aspects.  Not as fast as T05, but faster than H3N.  Not as spinny as H3N but as spinny if not spinnier than T05.  Short game is much better than T05, but not as good as H3N.  Not as tacky as H3N (which really wasn't that tacky as far as chinese rubbers go).  It's also a very different feel.  On some shots it resembles a chinese rubber and others a euro rubber.

Everything is a compromise and I feel like this puts you in the middle of everything.  It's not as good as traditional chinese rubber in the things that chinese rubbers excel in, but it's better in other areas.  Same goes for euro rubbers.  
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 4:37pm
I just don't get the rubber. Tried again on my samsonov force pro black edition and it had a very high throw but slow speed . it really felt weird and slow.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 4:46pm

I just don't get the rubber. Tried again on my samsonov force pro black edition and it had a very high throw but slow speed . it really felt weird and slow.

Which sponge did you try?  In my experience, I don't find BD to be slow.  What are you comparing it to when you say it's slow?

Edited by hookumsnivy - 01/29/2015 at 4:46pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:39pm

Maybe if you had used it without ever boosting it, you would have been more confident about how it really played.
Cybershape Carbon
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:41pm
Maybe the boosting affected it. I have a 40 degree red max. I find it slow because the moon speed 38 degrees that i have also is very bouncy and fast.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:47pm
I didn't like the 40deg.  I was expecting to like it more since it was closer in hardness to the H3Neo, but no such luck.  It felt very different from the 39, and less dynamic.  If you're willing to give it another shot, try 38 (based on other people's reviews) or 39 without booster.
bluehorseshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluehorseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 6:06pm
I tried the 39 coming from the 38, and they seemed very different to me.  The 38 has some spring to it, while the 39 played like a typical tacky rubber to me.  

Also the red 39 I bought had corners, but no internal airtight packaging, while my black 38 did have the internal airtight packing.  I also bought a 39 in black that did not have the internal packaging, and it did not have corners.  My black 38 sheet seemed more of a hybrid, but my red 39 sheet seems tackier and less springy.  

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68077&PID=823122#823122
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 6:12pm
Ah, thanks for that, bluehorseshoe. 39 deg ain't going to see any of my dollars...
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by bluehorseshoe bluehorseshoe wrote:

I tried the 39 coming from the 38, and they seemed very different to me.  The 38 has some spring to it, while the 39 played like a typical tacky rubber to me.  

Also the red 39 I bought had corners, but no internal airtight packaging, while my black 38 did have the internal airtight packing.  I also bought a 39 in black that did not have the internal packaging, and it did not have corners.  My black 38 sheet seemed more of a hybrid, but my red 39 sheet seems tackier and less springy.  

I wonder if you got the untuned version.  My 39s all have the airtight package.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 6:34pm
Mine had a sealed packing

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 9:06am
I should get my galaxy order in on Monday.  I'll let you know if the 39 is sealed and domed, etc.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 9:18am
Sound like there is a Tuned, and unturned version of BD?  How does one know or make sure that the one they get is tuned?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 21>
  Share Topic