Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blade for the New Poly Ball???

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Will the ball change->change your current setup???
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [72.41%]
1 [3.45%]
2 [6.90%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.90%]
3 [10.34%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade for the New Poly Ball???
    Posted: 09/19/2014 at 11:11pm
Hi, I was wondering... for you tournament players and/or players that have switched to the poly ball...did it affect your equipment choice?...thanks for voting...explanations to the way you vote is welcomed as well.Smile

Edited by emihet - 09/20/2014 at 4:28pm
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
Sponsored Links

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

Hi, I was wondering... for you tournament players and/or players that have switched to the poly ball...did it affect your equipment choice?...thanks for voting...explanations to the way you vote is welcomed as well.Smile

In the USA, probably too early to tell yet for most players.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 2:11am
So far my experience has provoked me to: stay with the same blade and rubber, but with a thicker sponge
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
DrBacterius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBacterius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 3:37am
My first impressions (with actual plastic balls, seems they will improve during the year...) make me try to switch from an Inneforce AL/T05fx to an Innerforce ZLC/T80.
It's not a great change but enough to keep the speed more or less. With old ball Inner ZLC was too much for me, actually it fits perfectly with plastic.
I tried to use my old blade. Of course it's perfect to play but too slow, a lot of 'arm' was needed, not so good at my age...Embarrassed

So I voted to change the blade, but I think that depending the blade you are using, it can be perfect to switch to a faster rubbers.
OSP Virtuoso
T8O Max / Ventus Spin 1.8

My Feedback
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 4:56am
We players often tend to use faster equipment than we should use. So it fits perfectly with the new poly ball, no need for a change!
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
glanden.zheng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glanden.zheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 5:36am
Will stick with rubbers but go to a faster blade
Butterfly Viscaria FL

FH: Hurricane 3 Prov

BH: Tenergy 05
LethalForehand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LethalForehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 7:55am
I voted other: adjust my technique rather than equipment and use more body rotation to generate the extra speed needed.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 9:04am
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

So far my experience has provoked me to: stay with the same blade and rubber, but with a thicker sponge

+1 I tend to agree. Have to do something to account for the poly ball's lack of flex.
JonathanVN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 9:05am
I don't really think any equipment change is necessary for the new poly ball. However, definitely rotate your body more and get lower on loops. By bending down on loops shots, you are creating a higher arc for the ball to travel. That is very important information to know when dealing with the new poly ball. 
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by JonathanVN JonathanVN wrote:

I don't really think any equipment change is necessary for the new poly ball. However, definitely rotate your body more and get lower on loops. By bending down on loops shots, you are creating a higher arc for the ball to travel. That is very important information to know when dealing with the new poly ball. 

Yes....i totally agree with this statement.   It was very evident to me after making the switch to the new ball and playing several times only with it.  It is one aspect of your game that will help you with adapting to the new ball, by using more of your body than your arms or wrists. 
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 12:20pm

I will wait. I can see very soon the manufacturers will come out with a plethora of new stuff to play the new ball.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

+1 I tend to agree. Have to do something to account for the poly ball's lack of flex.

I voted Other...for slightly diff version of you guys.

I am sticking with my Rakza soft 2.0 on both sides, but changed my blade from the Spartacus to my Yasaka ML soft carbon.   The speeds of these 2 blades is not much different, but the Spartacus is slightly too flexible for my rubber choice and feel I desire with the new ball.

The ML soft carbon is maily stiffer and about 8gr. heavier than the Spartacus I used for so long.  The weight difference was the only thing I had to readjust to for a few weeks. 

The biggest reason for this blade change to me, I lost control with the Spartacus using the new ball. Stiffer blade gave that back to me, but I did not need more speed per say.  The stiffness/hardness of the new balls changes the feel quite a bit.

Though with several of the new balls, they do not all feel or react quite the same.  The Joola ball feels much softer than the Double Fish ones I have been using for example.  So to be able to compress and impart spin with the new ball, I went with a stiffer blade.  My rubbers work just as well with either old or new ball for me.   
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I will wait. I can see very soon the manufacturers will come out with a plethora of new stuff to play the new ball.

I will wait as well but I will wait plastic ball manufacturers to improve the ball quality and durability. Until then I'll stay with both existing equipment and celluloid balls.

Edited by Ray - 09/20/2014 at 1:44pm
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
LethalForehand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LethalForehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 2:04pm
I am glad there are at least a few posts on technique requirements of the new ball in this thread, rather than expecting a miracle from the equipment again :/
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by LethalForehand LethalForehand wrote:

I am glad there are at least a few posts on technique requirements of the new ball in this thread, rather than expecting a miracle from the equipment again :/
yes true...it is tough to change your stroke if you have been doing it for $15 years and it has worked well...now the same stroke needs change...
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I will wait as well but I will wait plastic ball manufacturers to improve the ball quality and durability. Until then I'll stay with both existing equipment and celluloid balls.

Yes the variation in quality, playability and durability need improvement...I expect the new Japan made plastic ball will be the closest to the  40mm celluloid ball
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 4:30pm

Blades and rubbers don't change your timing.  Once your timing adjusts to the new ball, things get better.  I am not changing equipment -- except I am using a certain black tag Viscaria, instead of a silver tagged one that was my previous favorite!!! 

Actually today my partner and I, who have been using XSF polyballs for awhile now, both commented that it was just table tennis.  It's like we don't even pay attention to the fact we were using a polyball, and the points we have are pretty much what they always have been.  (The XSF ball is an excellent polyball, though).
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Blades and rubbers don't change your timing.  Once your timing adjusts to the new ball, things get better.  I am not changing equipment -- except I am using a certain black tag Viscaria, instead of a silver tagged one that was my previous favorite!!! 
LOL 
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 4:33pm
I do not plan to change blade or rubber so far.

I do not anticipate any major changes in terms of technique either since the way I like to play seems to fit the new ball better than it did the 40mm celluloid ball.

Timing will take some getting used to, but aside from that I do not anticipate any changes.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
macpoddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macpoddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 5:52pm
I am going short pips out on both wings. The new ball does not have enough spin. I can hit thru spin with no trouble against guys I used to have trouble with. I think short pips pen holder hitting style will benefit the most. Week loopers are in big trouble. I play against 2200-2300 + players and I already seeing them sweat. For loop loop game there will be longer rallies. Fitness will be tested.
lordcope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lordcope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by macpoddy macpoddy wrote:

Week loopers are in big trouble.

Weak choppers likewise.  I suspect that technique will become more important for those who play a topspin-oriented game, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a renaissance in SP hitting.
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 #19 2.2mm (black)
BH: DHS Skyline TG2 #19 2.2mm (red)
Blade: DHS Dipper SP10

"Patience has all the time it needs." - Allan Lokos
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 6:34pm
I think I will stick with my blade and rubber for a while. I am playing with Airoc M now and I do not feel any big difference between the new and the old ball to be honest. I think it´s just a matter of getting used to it. I have read that the Airoc is made for the poly ball and maybe thats why I did not feel so much difference, do anyone feel that the rubbers respond completely different with the new ball? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic