Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dropping arm habit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dropping arm habit?
    Posted: 10/06/2014 at 11:15am
Hi forum, a quick post here.

As I have put on some weight (+5kg from 80 to 85kg at 5'11) and I prefer heavy setups, I find myself dropping my arm too much, playing a topspin, like a loop against underspin. I have a new setup which is much lighter, however, I have the habit of me dropping my arm, and not adapting to the bats weight. Are there any downsides to this besides recovery time? Any tips on how to counter this?

Been playing off form because of this one factor, would appreciate some help.

Regards,

SmackDAT
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 11:41am
Pretend instead of playing Table Tennis you're boxing. What would happen if you do that in boxing!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 3:31pm
Are you dropping your arm in the ready position or are you dropping it as you backswing?

If you are dropping it in the ready position, then the boxing thought would work.  

If you are dropping it down too low as you backswing then you might need to do something different.  One thing I have tried is thinking of starting my Fh backswing forward.   It really is not forward (more like outward) but by thinking forward it creates a more circular and flat backswing.  If I think "take the racket back" my arm tends to bend more and go lower.

If you have a TV tray or some boxes you can stack to the right height you could shadow stroke with them behind you so that you would hit them if you drop the hand too low.  Finally, you might try doing a lot of shadow stroking while looking in a mirror.  

I know from experience how hard it is to make a change to your backswing.  Even if you get it down pretty good in practice, it always seems to revert to the old form under the pressure of a match.

Good luck in getting it where you want it.

Mark
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 3:46pm
Loops are slaps or punches ( I prefer the latter since people tend to punch with good weight transfer).   Use your other arm actively to maintain balance.  Move your other arm over to faciliate your backswing and keep it at the same height as your playing arm.  USually, that tend to help keep both hands high.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 4:06pm
NextLevel,

Great suggestion about keeping the other arm up and moving them together.  My form is so much better when I remember to do that.  It works both ways for me: Keeping the hand higher against topspin and in lowering the hand when looping underspin.  I guess it just serves as a reference point and helps you feel where the playing hand really is.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 10/06/2014 at 4:07pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 4:15pm
You could drop the extra 5Kg and not worry about the other stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic