Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favorite coach

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favorite coach
    Posted: 10/14/2014 at 2:12pm
Hello guys,

I saw on facebook that STIGA got something called COACH CORNER where people are able to ask Ulf ¨Tickan¨ Carlsson questions.

This made me curious to hear which coach is you're favorite and why?

Personally I really like Tickan because he was a great individual player and also a world champion in doubles. He has also been the coach for the Swedish National Team for like forever. I think it's important for a coach to stay a long time in the same team, to grow into the team and make all the players feel comfortable and trust. 

I also of course like Liu Guoliang, but I mean, who doesn't!? He is truly a demon coach and one of the best players of all time. 

Too bad that Tickan and Liu never played against each other. That would be truly epic to watch! 
Sponsored Links

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2014 at 3:11pm
Wu Jingping, coaches/ed Ma Lin, Wang Hao, Fan Zhendong, and now Xu Xin. Relentless about technical innovation. Imo critical to the development of the RPB which breathed new life into the PH playing style. His analysis insights into the strengths and weaknesses of players. One of the few stickies on this forum is a translation of his breakdown of FH stroke mechanics. 

I only wish I could get access to all the the stuff he has said. 
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2014 at 3:57pm
Mister Wang Dayong, coach of the Belgian national team for many many years and most of all the man who helped JM Saive to become N°1 and to win nearly everything between 1993 and 1994.
Belgium also won a lot of titles in the nineties with Mister Wang.
This guy is well known in China and everywhere. He has always remained faithful to Belgium and JM Saive but I'm sure he could have helped a lot of other talented players if he had wanted. 
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2014 at 4:39pm
I'll take Nan Li of the WCTTA in California.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2014 at 4:58pm
My bud Brian Pace can be my coach any day. :)

Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

dsc13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2014 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

I'll take Nan Li of the WCTTA in California.

I'll second that vote, but widen it a bit to all 4 coaches at WCTTA, as they all work with their players. As a penholder, I especially appreciate having Coach Li and Coach Zhang to learn from, but I learn alot from all for coaches.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2014 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

Mister Wang Dayong, coach of the Belgian national team for many many years and most of all the man who helped JM Saive to become N°1 and to win nearly everything between 1993 and 1994.
This guy is well known in China and everywhere. He has always remained faithful to Belgium and JM Saive but I'm sure he could have helped a lot of other talented players if he had wanted. 

Indeed Coach Wang is one of the best of all time.

He is credited as one of the earliest to bring Chinese technique and training method to the West.
He was also labeled a traitor until recent years where he has become a Chinese hero - A Chinese that bought pride to Chinese people for work done on a foreign soil.

There was times where Coach Wang stayed in Saive's apartment - to give him extra training, so they stayed together.

Saive respect the coach and ask him to sleep on the only bed in the small apartment, but Coach Wang insist Saive - who requires to train the next day to use the bed, while Coach Wang would sleep on the couch.

It become not just a Coach/Student relationship, but more like a Father and Son, is what I heard

Edited by ZApenholder - 10/14/2014 at 6:40pm
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2014 at 11:01pm

My favorite Coach is Monk Downer at USA Hobby Table Tennis Coalition on FaceBook.

His insights and techniques are on the cutting edge !
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
rocketscientist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketscientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2014 at 12:43pm
Great thread! My favorite coach is Liu Guoliang and jörg rosskopf! Because both were awesome players! 
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2014 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by rocketscientist rocketscientist wrote:

Great thread! My favorite coach is Liu Guoliang and jörg rosskopf! Because both were awesome players! 

Yeah Jörg Rosskops were awesome! 
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2014 at 9:10pm
What to you guys think is the most important property for a coach to have? 
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2014 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Fehrplay Fehrplay wrote:

Originally posted by rocketscientist rocketscientist wrote:

Yeah Jörg Rosskops were awesome! 
is there two?

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2014 at 10:49pm
Li, coach of wang nan, zhang yiling, and li xiaoxia,
is probably a good one since he helped them win
all 3 big events (zhang twice). Let's see whether
he can make zhu yuling win all in the future.
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2014 at 11:25am
Stiga has now also interviewed Peter Sartz! 

http://stigatabletennis.com/en/2014/12/let-us-introduce-our-second-coach-in-the-coach-corner/ 
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2014 at 7:45pm
Lot of great coaches listed here, but I'm amazed Stellan Bengtsson hasn't come up yet. Former world champion, coach to Persson, Waldner, and Maze, among others. I would have to rank him as one of a handful of best ever.
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2014 at 1:16am
My favorite coach is Mr. Foad Kaseb the former coach of Iranian national team and the coach of Noshad Alamiyan.
He is great.

Edited by Mdman - 12/16/2014 at 1:17am
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2014 at 4:07am
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

Indeed Coach Wang is one of the best of all time.

He is credited as one of the earliest to bring Chinese technique and training method to the West.
He was also labeled a traitor until recent years where he has become a Chinese hero - A Chinese that bought pride to Chinese people for work done on a foreign soil.

There was times where Coach Wang stayed in Saive's apartment - to give him extra training, so they stayed together.

Saive respect the coach and ask him to sleep on the only bed in the small apartment, but Coach Wang insist Saive - who requires to train the next day to use the bed, while Coach Wang would sleep on the couch.

It become not just a Coach/Student relationship, but more like a Father and Son, is what I heard
Never heard of him before this - but if this is true - can't argue with his selection. This is above and beyond the call of duty.Clap
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Lot of great coaches listed here, but I'm amazed Stellan Bengtsson hasn't come up yet. Former world champion, coach to Persson, Waldner, and Maze, among others. I would have to rank him as one of a handful of best ever.

Agree he's awesome, just totally forgot him...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic