FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Transition from 5ply to?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
balint_tt View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balint_tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transition from 5ply to?
    Posted: 10/17/2014 at 5:50pm
Guys I would like to upgrade my setup and I need your expertise in the decision. I’m a 1750-1800 level player, mostly looping from both sides but also using pushing, blocking and hitting as needed. I try to put emphasis on ball placement.

Currently I’m using an OSP Virtuoso 5-ply OFF- blade with Rhyzm on FH and El-P on BH. I like this setup especially for spiny brush loops (my main weapon), but as soon as I step back to middle distance or try to do more aggressive loop drives I feel I miss some speed / force. Aside of improving my technique, I'm thinking about upgrading by blade to something that makes these a bit easier. The new ball might also mean I need more speed and loop drive instead of brushing.

So I’m looking for a below $150, ST handle, below 90g, not head heavy blade that fits my needs without being drastically different from what I’m used to. 

Reading around on my radar is:
  • Joola Rossi Emotion
  • Viscaria or similar 'affordable' Butterfly
  • A Xiom like ZX or maybe the new Vega Pro
So what do you suggest from from this list or otherwise?

Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 6:24pm
You have listed great composite blades. Have you considered an all wood 5 ply like a Korbel or Stratus Powerwood?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
balint_tt View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balint_tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 7:06pm
Would these bring a significant speed improvement from middle distance over my current blade? Also once I have tried a blade with hard outer ply (walnut) and I did not like it very much. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 7:13pm
It all depends. They are not carbon, but yes, they are faster than OFF- blades. You can go either route. You will have to get uses to a stiffer blade but it is not the end of the world however you go. You could use faster rubbers on your current blade as well.
Cybershape Carbon
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 8:01pm
TB ALC is very well balanced 5+2 ply. Same goes for Innerforce ALC.

I think viscaria is a bit more head heavy than other ALCs. I personally don't like head heaviness, korbel ST felt very much head heavy with chinese rubber and sriver when I used it.

So give ALCs a thought if you want to try composite.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 1:47am
I would look in Nittaku Ludeack, JRE and Korbel so that the feel you have from playing with OSP is maintained and you get more speed with good overall control or you can slap a sheet of faster rubber.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 2:13am
I sense you enjoy all wood 5-ply blades for what they offer; if you stay that route coming from your virtuoso it is going to be real hard to justify the cost of upgrade.
I read you want more speed as you walk away from the table; 1st thing to ask is WHY DID YOU DO THAT? (joke)...anyway maybe a virtuoso+ asking over 90g to pair with lighter rubbers will work.
more speed from a 5-ply without going 7? XIOM Aria may please you; it is fast a 5-ply blade with a large sweet spot and all. you could call an end right there; marginal utility is negative looking further; that inexpensive blade has it all. It should be mine for my level; it is almost too fast.
If you really want to go for a 7-ply because you can't stand it and you want to do it (understood...) then do clipper and/or ludeack; choose one (you will like one or the other, guaranteed); sell the other to back up the elected; done.
The aria is so good. why was I away from it for so long? thank you for asking; and your 1st post was so clear; thanks for that too.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 2:23am
I honestly believe that you have selected good blades and it is all a matter of perspective.  $150 is a decent budget. From tt11, you can get the Xiom Vega Pro/Europe for about $110.  The JRE only costs $50 from Timtts.be.  The Stratus Powerwood even if you bought it from an official distributor would cost you less than $60.  The Butterfly ALCs you are looking at are usually around $130.  They are all great blades.  If you are not set on composites, I would recommend that you try a faster 5 ply first only because the stiffness of a composite blade might not be your cup of tea.  But if you are set on composites, both Viscaria and Timo Boll ALC work if you like Koto outer plies.  I'm not sure what the outer ply of Virtuoso is though.  If it is limba, then the Xiom Vega Pro or a Michael Maze might be more suitable.

After saying all that, it is best for you to just go to your club or a nearby tournament and borrow and hit with people's blades before buying.  There is nothing that matches/beats the immediate feedback of having the blade in your hand. Buying blades blind is truly hit or miss, though knowing the wood and composite plies of blades you like (especially the outer ply) does help.
Cybershape Carbon
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 6:07am
Xiom Vega Pro would be a good step up. It has great balance of speed and control and achieves a lot of it's pace through spin generation. It's not an overwhelmingly powerful rubber but it is very flexible for a large range of strokes and variations.

In terms of blades, you could look at the Stiga Clipper or perhaps a Nittaku Barwell or Ludeack blade. These are great wood blades with pace and fantastic feeling.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 8:19am
Based on your rating, I would go with 7plywood blades, not thicker than 6.5mm

- P700
- Tibhar Samsonov Force PRO
- Donic Person 7
- DHS PG7
- Nittaku Ludeack
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
balint_tt View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balint_tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 9:47am
Thanks for all the great suggestion. Even though I was about to try a composite, based on what you wrote I will consider a 7-ply pure wood as well.

What are the pros and cons between 7-ply wood and composite? Composite has larger sweet spot and lower weigh, but less woody feel? If the blade would be around 85g I would prefer that over a 90g one.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 10:02am
Adidas Strike Wood 7
Nexy Tamar 5
Adidas Challenge speed
Stiga Intensity NCT
Stiga Ebenholz 5 (the newer ones have an average of 85 grams and habe a lesser nct coating)
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 10:20am
Originally posted by balint_tt balint_tt wrote:

Thanks for all the great suggestion. Even though I was about to try a composite, based on what you wrote I will consider a 7-ply pure wood as well.

What are the pros and cons between 7-ply wood and composite? Composite has larger sweet spot and lower weigh, but less woody feel? If the blade would be around 85g I would prefer that over a 90g one.

Newer P700 are around 85gr and 6.2mm, I think it would be a great choice and it's not an expensive blade. You will get:

- Nice wood feel
- Soft limba outer ply, good for spin
- Because of its thickness (not so thin or so thick) it is firm but also has a good flex
- Enough kick to play at mid distance

About composites, I can speek for myself.. The ALC blades I tried under 90gr was weird, not stable enough.. Under 90gr I would go with allwood. Over 90gr there are very good, stable and powerfull composites as well 7 ply allwood.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 11:42am
I also suggest 7-ply blades, but I´d go to the softer ones like Ludeack or Persson Powerplay.
Clipper and P700 are harder and much different than 5-plies.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I honestly believe that you have selected good blades and it is all a matter of perspective.  $150 is a decent budget. From tt11, you can get the Xiom Vega Pro/Europe for about $110.  The JRE only costs $50 from Timtts.be.  The Stratus Powerwood even if you bought it from an official distributor would cost you less than $60.  The Butterfly ALCs you are looking at are usually around $130.  They are all great blades.  If you are not set on composites, I would recommend that you try a faster 5 ply first only because the stiffness of a composite blade might not be your cup of tea.  But if you are set on composites, both Viscaria and Timo Boll ALC work if you like Koto outer plies.  I'm not sure what the outer ply of Virtuoso is though.  If it is limba, then the Xiom Vega Pro or a Michael Maze might be more suitable.

After saying all that, it is best for you to just go to your club or a nearby tournament and borrow and hit with people's blades before buying.  There is nothing that matches/beats the immediate feedback of having the blade in your hand. Buying blades blind is truly hit or miss, though knowing the wood and composite plies of blades you like (especially the outer ply) does help.

Sound Advice, I agree 100%.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic