Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hugo CALDERANO x Timo Boll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

Notice that Steger and tan got into a conversation and both
of them made action of serve with their racket ( without the ball ).
So obviously that was something to do with tanˊs serve.
This dispute happened immediately after tan had an easy put away after
Steger popped up his serve.
Judging From the above evidences I can be very sure
that Steger was complaining about the hiddeness of tanˊ s serve.

I don't see any of that!  In any case, the umpire didn't call it.  Too bad for Steger.  He was fooled by a serve.  It happens.  And as I said, from the same camera angle, Steger's serves appear to be equally hidden.  I have watched Tan play a lot on video because his quickness amazes me and their aren't that many SP players among top men.  I can't recall EVER seeing him get called for an illegal serve.  Clearly the vast majority of ITTF umpires see it differently.  So calling him a "cheater" is over the top, really says more about you than it does about him.

if you pretent not see Stegerˊs complaint about the
hiddeness of tanˊs serve, well, it is up to you. End of discussion.
Umpires not calling tanˊs serves does not mean it is legal.
His serves were illegal as the racket contact of his serves were not visible to his opponents.

Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 11:28pm
I am not pretending to not see, it.  I saw something and can not intepret what it was.  You have not addressed my point that from the same point of view of that camera, Steger's serves were equally hidden.  Clearly we are not going to convince each other, but I think it is a pretty small person who accuses other people of "cheating" on the basis of that evidence. 
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 12:12am
Hugo's serves are just as legal as Timo's. Why? (edit: Both players' serves are tossed at a non-vertical angle except Hugo tosses higher, so it is more obvious.) The trajectory of Hugo's toss is as (if not more) vertical than Timo's serves, but it is because it is tossed higher, the ball falls down to the side of the table. So, if Timo were to toss his serve equally as high, the ball would too be falling quite a distance away from where tossed.

If you don't believe me, then I urge you to check Timo's serves in the video, just his first 3 serves will do. You will realise in each Timo's serve, the ball travels horizontally quite long in proportion to the vertical flight. So, the ball would too travel in the same manner as that in Hugo's serve, if Timo were to toss his serve as high. Think of physics.

Remember, the rule is the ball must be tossed near vertical. Hugo's toss is as vertical as Timo's if not more so.

(edit: The real questions would then be: 1) are both serving legally? 2) how should vertically be interpreted?)

Edited by hithithit - 10/22/2014 at 12:19am
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 12:52am
Originally posted by hithithit hithithit wrote:

Hugo's serves are just as legal as Timo's. Why? (edit: Both players' serves are tossed at a non-vertical angle except Hugo tosses higher, so it is more obvious.) The trajectory of Hugo's toss is as (if not more) vertical than Timo's serves, but it is because it is tossed higher, the ball falls down to the side of the table. So, if Timo were to toss his serve equally as high, the ball would too be falling quite a distance away from where tossed.

If you don't believe me, then I urge you to check Timo's serves in the video, just his first 3 serves will do. You will realise in each Timo's serve, the ball travels horizontally quite long in proportion to the vertical flight. So, the ball would too travel in the same manner as that in Hugo's serve, if Timo were to toss his serve as high. Think of physics.

Remember, the rule is the ball must be tossed near vertical. Hugo's toss is as vertical as Timo's if not more so.

(edit: The real questions would then be: 1) are both serving legally? 2) how should vertically be interpreted?)

The issue is not the verticality or trajectory of the serve, but whether or not the ball remains visible to Timo for the entire duration.  My opinion is that Timo probably can't see the serve from where he's standing, but since none of us possess supernatural powers, the only person in the universe that knows whether or not the serve is legal is Timo.

Regardless of anything else, Calderano's serve is always illegal because he does not immediately remove his free arm "as soon as the ball has been projected" as the rule requires.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 1:30am

Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

[QUOTE=hithithit]Hugo's serves are just as legal as Timo's. Why? (edit: Both players' serves are tossed at a non-vertical angle except Hugo tosses higher, so it is more obvious.) The trajectory of Hugo's toss is as (if not more) vertical than Timo's serves, but it is because it is tossed higher, the ball falls down to the side of the table. So, if Timo were to toss his serve equally as high, the ball would too be falling quite a distance away from where tossed.

The issue is not the verticality or trajectory of the serve, but whether or not the ball remains visible to Timo for the entire duration. My opinion is that Timo probably can't see the serve from where he's standing, but since none of us possess supernatural powers, the only person in the universe that knows whether or not the serve is legal is Timo.

Regardless of anything else, Calderano's serve is always illegal because he does not immediately remove his free arm "as soon as the ball has been projected" as the rule requires.

Hey, thanks for your reply. Right, so we are questioning his free arm.

In which case, I do see your point but the video is inconclusive as to whether the free arm obstructed Timo's view from where he was standing. As you have pointed out, Timo would know if visibility was hindered.

Though note, Hugo's serve doesn't look too much different to the many Ma Long's serves he did in this video (yes, it is a training video, but nonetheless).
Ma Long in training

Edited by hithithit - 10/22/2014 at 1:33am
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 1:32am
- blah - ignore - screwed up posting

Edited by hithithit - 10/22/2014 at 1:33am
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 10:45am
Funny thread. The moral of the story is you cant beat Timo Boll unless you are using illegal serves and are somehow cheating or you are Chinese.....LOL
who no know go know
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

Yes, judging by this criteria, most top pros' serves are illegal. But umps can't fault most top pros' serves, can they?
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:04am
Criminy, these forums can be the official whiners club for nitpicking serves!  Get over it people!

What Calderano is doing with his left arm is soooo common.  ML, ZJK, FZD, XX, and YA all do the same thing, as so do so many others.  Timo, Dima, and Samsonov are exceptions in that their serves kept in clear view throughout the serve, but IMO they're just being nice guys. Wink
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:26am
Originally posted by naijachief naijachief wrote:

Funny thread. The moral of the story is you cant beat Timo Boll unless you are using illegal serves and are somehow cheating or you are Chinese.....LOL

Ah, finally, the unstated subplot has been brought to light...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:41am

+1

This topic was pretty much laid to rest after that Chinese comment... Think that's about all we needed to hear. :)

Edited by suds79 - 10/22/2014 at 11:42am
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:45am
Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

Criminy, these forums can be the official whiners club for nitpicking serves!  Get over it people!

What Calderano is doing with his left arm is soooo common.  ML, ZJK, FZD, XX, and YA all do the same thing, as so do so many others.  Timo, Dima, and Samsonov are exceptions in that their serves kept in clear view throughout the serve, but IMO they're just being nice guys. Wink

Timo and Dima are no exceptions.

You can see in this video, they too also leave their free hands in the air for a large period of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBBwdZMOfUc
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:48am
LOL

------

Hugo Calderano has been improving like crazy in 2014. Anyone who follows many TT channels on YouTube, and watches a lot of matches (like me) knows this. Its no surprise that he can take out Timo.

Timo is also in a transition zone right now. He has to fight harder than ever to stay competitive at the elite pro level. 

hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:49am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Timo and Dima serve no differently to the Chinese.

In some serves, the free hand moves away just moments before the ball is struck.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:55am

In some serves, the free hand moves away just moments before the ball is struck.

Here we go again...  read before posting...

The point naijachief was making was that people are really complaining because Timo Boll lost to a lower ranked non-Chinese player.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 12:01pm
I think I have highlighted that Hugo's free arm's position and movement during service is no different to that of Ma Long, Timo and Dima. And prior to that, I have highlighted his ball toss trajectory is as vertical (if not more so) than Timo's.

Hence, I think Hugo serves as legally as others - Ma Long, Timo and Dima.

I just think some people are just shocked to see Timo getting beat by someone who isn't an established household name player. But, you got to remember, no one is invincible in sport. Upsets do happen.

Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 1:22pm
I don't know if any of you guys are referring to me or not, but let me make it clear that I personally could care less whether or not Timo Boll loses to a non-Chinese player.  Boll did not lose this match because Calderano did not remove his free arm, but that doesn't change the fact that Calderano's serve is illegal according to the rules.  So is the high toss serve of Ma Long, Ovtcharov, and many others...

GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 2:10pm
Even though Calderano doesn't remove his free arm, at least it doesn't obstruct your view of the serve, IMO.  What's illegal is him hiding the serve with his body and difficult to see unless you're standing on the opposite diagonal.  Either way, except for a few instances, Boll didn't seem to have any problems with it.

That raises the question - is it the responsibility of the receiver to stand in a position so that he can see the serve clearly? The rule only states that it is the responsibility of the server to ensure that the serve is not hidden and if Boll were standing more to his right, it would be hidden.

OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

Even though Calderano doesn't remove his free arm, at least it doesn't obstruct your view of the serve, IMO.  What's illegal is him hiding the serve with his body and difficult to see unless you're standing on the opposite diagonal.  Either way, except for a few instances, Boll didn't seem to have any problems with it.

That raises the question - is it the responsibility of the receiver to stand in a position so that he can see the serve clearly? The rule only states that it is the responsibility of the server to ensure that the serve is not hidden and if Boll were standing more to his right, it would be hidden.

According to the rules, It is the responsibility of the server to make sure that the serve is always visible to the receiver at all times until the ball is struck.  

Imagine the following scenario:

Two right handed players are playing and both the server and receiver are standing in the classic backhand corner positions.  The server is making his serves relatively close to his body, but he is still "absolutely certain" that the receiver can see all his serves.  He is having good success serving short to his opponent's forehand.  In order to counter this, the receiver decides he is going to step over to his right after the ball is tossed and play the modern backhand flip from the FH side.  According to the rules as written, the server would need to detect this movement from the receiver and make a last minute adjustment to his serve (by opening up his body) after he has already tossed the ball, in order to ensure that he is absolutely certain the receiver can see the ball.

So yes, not only is it stupid to presume that an umpire can tell whether or not  a serve is visible for a receiver, but is also ridiculous to expect a server to be certain that his serve is visible to a moving target.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 10:49pm
Well, this answers the question about whose responsibility to ensure the ball is visible at all times during service.

2.06.06      It is the responsibility of the player to serve so that the umpire or the assistant umpire can be satisfied that he or she complies with the requirements of the Laws, and either may decide that a service is incorrect. 

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 10:56pm
Yes.  And if the umpires are satisfied that pretty much settles the matter.

Anyway, it is nice to see someone new emerge, especially someone from one of the continents not well represented among the top echelons.  It's good for the sport.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:08pm

Here we go again...  read before posting...

The point naijachief was making was that people are really complaining because Timo Boll lost to a lower ranked non-Chinese player.

From what I have gathered, it seems like a number of people just want to find excuses or reasons on why Timo was defeated, thus all these talks on Hugo's serves being illegal. Nothing to do with Hugo being non-Chinese, or Timo beat by a lower ranked non-Chinese, because if that was the case, the discussion would have turned to who else (lower ranked) have beat Timo in the past. And the discussion would then probably led to Chinese vs European strokes.

I think, thus far, I have proven Hugo's serves are as legal as anyone else's, be it Ma Long, Dima and Timo.

I think people who are questioning Hugo's serves just have to eat a slice of humble pie and Come to terms that Hugo played better on the day, and to his credit. No one is invincible.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:12pm
the thing is if his serves look a bit dodgy to some members here and seem to give the server some advantage, then thats it, It dosn't have be argued and won
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Yes.  And if the umpires are satisfied that pretty much settles the matter.

Anyway, it is nice to see someone new emerge, especially someone from one of the continents not well represented among the top echelons.  It's good for the sport.

+1

I too hope to see more successes from the developing continents - South America, Africa, North America and Oceania; as that would mean the sport is taken seriously by more people globally - statistics reasoning.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic