Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Switching to Butterfly... (long history)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
diedona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diedona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Switching to Butterfly... (long history)
    Posted: 10/21/2014 at 10:49pm
Hello people!

I'm thinking about a change in my current equipment set. I might be an EJ, but here's some context:

(Long text that can be skipped)

I first started with a Tibhar Match paired with Tibhar Nimbus Soft on both sides. It was good enough for the first 6 months of trainning.

Then i switched to a new "composition": Tibhar Red Cypress + Donic Acuda S2 (FH) + Tibhar 5Q Sound (BH).

At first it seemed very nice, but circa 3 weeks ago (i have been using it for 4 months+), our trainner made a multiball session with me, pointing several mistakes in my style and making corrections.

Currently i'm underplaying my own level because of the adjustments, i think it's normal, he made changes to several key points of my playing, saying it would pay itself in a long term. I trust him.

However, i started disliking my 5Q Sound on the BH. Even for blocking in the trainning sessions i am twidling my bat so i can use the S2 and get better results with it.

When i bought this set i tought that i should have a harder rubber on the FH and a softer one on the BH. During the said multiball session, the trainner stated that i would, at some point, get frustrated with the soft sponge because he changed my BH from a passive style to a more offensive one.

To get the things even worse, i played against a very tallented girl today (she's way over my level). At a point of the match, she suggested we switched blades "just for fun" (she would win anyway, we are friends and i know it was kind of a joke XD)

She has a f- fast carbon blade (didn't get the details) + tibhar fx-p (FH) + tibhar sinus (BH).

I started playing better with it. I finally could get drives on the table and put the girl on deffensive. After the set we switched blades again and finished the game. I asked to make some hits with her blade again and i went on some "kill the point drive". I was able to use full force and hit the table with a strength i never had before. 80% of the time i did this with my set, ended in a net hit or far away from the table.

SO, WE CAN GET TO THE POINT LOL

(end of Long text)

I want a "harder" set to play with. I want to keep the Red Cypress set, as it's my "safe zone" (i gave my Tibhar Match to my mom, she's starting to play :).

I think that using a harder set will make it easier for me to attack and block. I don't know, i just feel it, specially after starting to block with the acuda rather than 5q sound.

I was thinking in pairing one of the Timo Boll blades + Tenergy 05 (FH) + Tenergy 80 (BH). (not totally sure about what tenergy, but i really want to make tenergies as my rubbers)

Does anyone have an opinion, a tip, a word of help for a confused boy? LOL I have been playing for a year, trainning for 3 hours a week + 3 hours in the weekend (with my mom blocking my drives <3). I want to be an offensive player. I can block a lot and even chop away from the table, but my fun in table tennis comes from driving the ball, fh or bh.

Thanks for reading this whole "confession"!
Xiom Aria - ST
Xiom Vega Europe 2mm (bh & fh)
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 11:34pm
You said you tried using someone's blade with Tibhar Evolution on it and liked it a whole lot. Now for some reason you want to get Tenergy. How do you even know you will like Tenergy? If you enjoyed Tibhar Evolution, why not use Tibhar Evolution?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2014 at 11:50pm
A carbon blade you can grow with is the BTY Timo Boll Spirit. Large sweet spot, not to fast (OFF Class) but a little expensive. Pair it with Xiom Vega Series rubbers and you have a nice setup to grow with. Vega Europe or Elite are very good for your level. Don't worry about Tenergys until you get to a higher level. Just my 3 cents.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

diedona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diedona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 12:35pm
Hello!

@GeneralSpecific (oh twitter @ why dont you work here? haha)
I thought about not using the FX-P because it's a soft rubber (softer than my S2). The blade i used was super fast, so i imagined i'd need a blade as fast as hers to achieve the same result. However, it's a thing to think about. Using an harder blade and FX-P, why not? I need to think it through. Thanks =)

@frogger
I liked your 3 cents! I will rethink about the rubbers and check your suggestions... Thanks =D
Xiom Aria - ST
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 2:15pm
If you are doing well with the S2, why not consider putting it on your backhand?  Having the same rubber on both sides could be the answer to your quest for the moment at least.  Changing blades and rubber all at once just adds more variables into your game.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by diedona diedona wrote:

Hello!

@GeneralSpecific (oh twitter @ why dont you work here? haha)
I thought about not using the FX-P because it's a soft rubber (softer than my S2). The blade i used was super fast, so i imagined i'd need a blade as fast as hers to achieve the same result. However, it's a thing to think about. Using an harder blade and FX-P, why not? I need to think it through. Thanks =)

Well now that you know how FX-P plays you can have an idea of how the other evolution rubbers might play. Maybe you might consider El-P or MX-P if you want something harder.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2014 at 8:18pm
Just get what you want and don't worry about needs, because we as boys won't listen anyway  and maybe beleiving in your own choices can work

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
diedona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diedona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 6:37am
Hello guys!!

@1dennistt
Sounds nice as well. I might not be able to play with 2 different rubbers and getting confused between the switches FH/BH... Lack of hability of mine.

@smackman
Hehe, yeah... Maybe it's more psycology than anything else :D

Thanks to everyone who came to help me, just to have a final saying about this:

Yesterday my coach played with my blade and he didn't like it, failing in a lot of shots. Further investigation lead that the blade, according to him, was starting to break. We could hear "cranking" sounds while doing some twists and it was vibrating a lot.

I'm not sure about this, i have been playing with it for just 4+ months... I'm not the kind of person who smacks the blade into the table on purpose, altough i've already drove it into the table in a miscalculated drive. And i might have jumped on the ground with it while saving a drop shot... Embarrassed

Well... My coach told me to keep the rubbers and trade the blade: Samsonov Alpha SGS (his personal blade - no carbon, 5 ply, all wood).

I think this settles an end to my search. If i can't get to play right with it, the fault is only mine and i need to work out myself, not the equipment.

Thanks again, people!
Xiom Aria - ST
GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 2:33pm
Samsonov Alpha is good for spin-drives and powerloops, especially with hard rubbers like 999National or T64. You will need a spinny rubber like Evolution EL-P or Baracuda for bh to perform banana loops over the table, however. The blade enhances spin when you go for an all-out loopkill, but has nothing to help you when you brush.
diedona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diedona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2014 at 8:55am
@GSOM_GSOM11

Hm... I'm kinda worried now. I use 5Q Sound on the BH (http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/tibhar-5q-sound.html). I never used baracuda, but i see it has a higher throw angle.

I am not in the level of performing true banana flicks, but i like to make topspin x backspin, specially on the BH, for i like to attack first.

Can i fill this gap with trainning?
Xiom Aria - ST
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2014 at 1:21pm
I can't understand people giving advice to get a Timo Boll Spirit to someone that has just explained that many technical point of his game have just been fixed by his coach............and even worse, speaking of ultra fast Vega Rubbers (at least the fastest one, Vega Japan, has not been mentionned here). 

Man, go steps by steps, see you improvment curve on the LONG TERM, yeah maybe you will play better, on the short term, with a super fast setup but don't you want to improve first ? 

for the OP : have you tried the super fast setup of the girl you are mentionning on the long run ? Have you tried it when you are not phyisicaly at 100% ? Uber fast setups are not forgiving at all. 

I am a coach (in France), i'm traning 9-15yo beginners and more advanced players, the ultra fast setups are KILLING the improvments of beginners, I have seen it so many times......

Also from your description, concerning the fact that you tend to put balls into the net with you setup, its not something to take for sure since I don't have seen your strokes, your technical style........but it looks simply like an issue with the throw angle of your setup, you can either adjust your strokes a little or go for a higher throw angle setup, it will also help you to realize banana flicks. 

Learning Banana flicks as a beginner with a Timo Boll Spirit blade ? Good luck, I hope you are a genius. 

Samsonov Alpha as mentionned by your coach is a far more smart choice than a TBS, its a blade that can be played at all levels with a good efficency, you should listen to your coach. 
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2014 at 2:52pm
Timo Boll Spirit is a common blade for people who get regular coaching. While I wouldn't recommend it, some juniors have been successful with it.

If the kid has a coach, he should listen to the coach.

I think most readers misinterpreted the original post. The kid, as vivan4tt pointed out, is attributing his great shots to faster equipment based on how he rallied with a better player. It's a common mistake and the beginning of EJ hood. True ball control is easier with a slower blade.

Edited by NextLevel - 10/25/2014 at 2:53pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic