Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

New BH rubber (Baracuda replacement)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
carbon136 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New BH rubber (Baracuda replacement)
    Posted: 10/24/2014 at 8:25am
Hi, I'm looking for a replacement for my BH rubber - Donic Baracuda (max.). It's not the newest rubber on the market, so I think I might try something newer. 

I'd like to keep some (or the most) of the Baracuda's properties: 
control, spin, speed - the same or higher and a high throw angle. The hardness could be a bit softer (not harder!). 

Which rubbers would you suggest? And what about the new Omega V series? Thanks ;)

Edited by carbon136 - 10/24/2014 at 8:26am
Sponsored Links

chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 8:32am
BTY T05-FX
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
carbon136 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 8:36am
too expensive... :-/
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 8:43am
Hi i am looking for the same .

In my mind is only rasant grip or adidas P7
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 8:50am
Rasant Grip is really good but has lower throw.

P7 is like Baracuda.  Not sure whether or how it is better.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 8:51am
Adidas P5, Tibhar Genius
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 8:53am
Originally posted by carbon136 carbon136 wrote:

too expensive... :-/

Nittaku Fastarc G-1 is much better than Baracuda in terms of speed, spin & control. The throw angle however is a little lower.
BTY Viscaria 90g
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 9:37am
G1 is harder than baracuda
diedona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diedona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 9:44am
What about a Xiom rubber? Some Sigma 1 Europe...  Altough it has a lower throw angle.

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/donic-baracuda.html
http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/xiom-sigma-europe.html
Xiom Aria - ST
Xiom Vega Europe 2mm (bh & fh)
carbon136 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 9:49am
Originally posted by chroot chroot wrote:

Nittaku Fastarc G-1 is much better than Baracuda in terms of speed, spin & control. The throw angle however is a little lower.

I've just read about G-1 that it's not very good for looping with the topsheet only (like banana flick) and that's something that I don't want. Also, what about the hardness of the G-1, P7 and P5? As I said, they CAN'T be harder than Baracuda, which is softer than Tenergy 05. 

Has anybody tried the Omega V Euro or Asia?

Edited by carbon136 - 10/24/2014 at 9:54am
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 9:55am
Listen Yogi,
go for Genius,it is a bit softer than Baracuda.

I told you i also looking for a replacement.
but i need even more spinier rubber.
i dont mind how hard will be cause i use booster which usually softer the rubber:)

Yogi what do you think about Aurus?
can it match baracuda spin ?
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 10:18am
t64, nah genius is still spinnier. aurus is faster but has lesser grip. adidas P5 and baracuda are identical. both are medium and grippy
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 10:22am
I have never touched a XIOM rubber, and I have played with almost all of them, that feels jumpy or lively as japanese rubbers. Baracuda is not a jap either, but its pretty springy. I don't mean to say Xiom rubbers are not good, they have good grip, good control and good power, but the feeling is different. I kind of like XIOM for FH, but for BH you may want something livelier. 

Tenergy 05 max (not FX) is your best choice if you want similar but better. Bite the bullet and pay the price. It lasts twice as long anyway. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 10:24am
Originally posted by carbon136 carbon136 wrote:

Originally posted by chroot chroot wrote:

I've just read about G-1 that it's not very good for looping with the topsheet only (like banana flick) and that's something that I don't want. Also, what about the hardness of the G-1, P7 and P5? As I said, they CAN'T be harder than Baracuda, which is softer than Tenergy 05. 

Has anybody tried the Omega V Euro or Asia?

g1 is a little harder than baracuda (5.9 vs 4.7). g1 rubber definitely has more grip and it's good for BH flick or looping.
BTY Viscaria 90g
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 10:29am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

I have never touched a XIOM rubber, and I have played with almost all of them, that feels jumpy or lively as japanese rubbers. Baracuda is not a jap either, but its pretty springy. I don't mean to say Xiom rubbers are not good, they have good grip, good control and good power, but the feeling is different. I kind of like XIOM for FH, but for BH you may want something livelier. 

Tenergy 05 max (not FX) is your best choice if you want similar but better. Bite the bullet and pay the price. It lasts twice as long anyway. 

Sure, T05 is one of the best rubbers available. But it's a little too hard, bouncy & heavy as a BH rubber. Most people use it on the FH.
BTY Viscaria 90g
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 10:29am
I just went to Tenergy 05 on my b/h from using Baracuda for a long time and I like it. I play with a 7 ply all wood blade and never liked 05 on the f/h but on the b/h it is has more spin and more power than Baracuda, give it a try.
Shifter
carbon136 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 10:48am
Some of you probably haven't seen my signature... I have tuned T05 on my FH. After 1 layer it's now faster, softer and more controllable, but it's still harder to play with on BH than Baracuda.

Edited by carbon136 - 10/24/2014 at 10:53am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 10:52am
People who don't like T05 as a BH rubber need to review their technique and stop blaming the rubber.
Cybershape Carbon
carbon136 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 10:56am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

People who don't like T05 as a BH rubber need to review their technique and stop blaming the rubber.

I haven't said that T05 is bad BH rubber, but your BH and FH techniques has to be on the same level, which is not my case. That's why I don't want a rubber similar to T05, but to Baracuda, which is more controllable.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 1:27pm
If your looking for similar to Baracuda, why not try 5Q?
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 2:13pm
Try vega pro, has harder sponge than baracuda but softer topsheet and the feel is amazing.

Edited by adishorul - 10/24/2014 at 2:14pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 2:56pm

They also need to quickly drop 20-30 years, 20-30 pounds and pump up their physique... right away! and stop blaming the equipment for the fact that you cannot run 100 m in 9.9 sec. Pathetic! Embarrassed
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
singody View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 3:34pm
Rasant Grip is great choice, the only problem is that it is quite heavy as most of forehand rubbers. If you do not care about the weight, go Rasant grip. Or, P7, but P7 is really pricey IMO.

Handmade ZLC.
厌倦源于过度求新,满足来自用心重复。

My Feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41593&title=feedback-singody
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

They also need to quickly drop 20-30 years, 20-30 pounds and pump up their physique... right away! and stop blaming the equipment for the fact that you cannot run 100 m in 9.9 sec. Pathetic! Embarrassed

Well, let's start small....
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by singody singody wrote:

Rasant Grip is great choice, the only problem is that it is quite heavy as most of forehand rubbers. If you do not care about the weight, go Rasant grip. Or, P7, but P7 is really pricey IMO.

Grip 1.7 and 1.9 are quite usable in my experience.
Cybershape Carbon
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 6:34pm
I would recommend Airoc M! 
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 6:43pm

T05 is a good rubber, however I don't think it suits everyone. I also think it a bit expensive for what you get, there are many great Bh rubbers out there for a much cheaper cost!
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2014 at 10:18pm
Everything will have a lower throw angle than Baracuda. With that in mind, Xiom Sigma 2 Euro is the rubber you are looking for.

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2014 at 12:59am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

+1 I recently switched from Barracuda to T05 (I actually played with T05 before the Barracuda too). It's the closest rubber I've found; in fact, I can switch between paddles in the same practice session with minimal adjustment. It's just a little more powerful.

If you can't find a good replacement, then stick with Barracuda. Just because it's not new doesn't mean it's not a great rubber.
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2014 at 7:43am
Rakza X is another good choice.  I just finished my second week with it and it's neck and neck with my other favorite BH rubbers, Acuda S1 Turbo and T05.  Close to the table it's great at flicks and short pushes with better touch than Tenergy 05, but has similar power away from the table. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic