FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Hurricane Long 5 vs Innerforce ALC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2016 at 10:59am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Any good rubber goes with any good blade. Personal preferences not withstanding.

Well, almost, IMHO.

Soft rubbers don't go well with stiff, hard blades as the rubbers would bottom out quicker. If you put the same rubber on a softer blade, you could finish more strokes without the bottoming out.

Earlier on in this thread, someone compared the hardness of VIscaria & HL5. To me, HL5 is softer on very soft strokes and harder on the larger strokes (which also makes sense given that the carbon layer is inner on the HL5) than the Viscaria.

Regarding HL5's compatibility, as HL5 is both solid and flexy, I think it could work with a wide variety of rubbers.

I've tried it with Vega Pro, H3 Neo (39 deg, unboosted), MX-P on FH. I've tried it with Acuda Blue P2, Omega V Europe, EL-S, T05 and Boosted Baracuda on BH. They all worked well. MX-P is a bit bouncy though.
Sponsored Links

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2016 at 11:01am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Any good rubber goes with any good blade. Personal preferences not withstanding.

Well, almost, IMHO.

Soft rubbers don't go well with stiff, hard blades as the rubbers would bottom out quicker. If you put the same rubber on a softer blade, you could finish more strokes without the bottoming out. As I said, IMO.

Earlier on in this thread, someone compared the hardness of VIscaria & HL5. To me, HL5 is softer on very soft strokes and harder on the larger strokes (which also makes sense given that the carbon layer is inner on the HL5) than the Viscaria.

Regarding HL5's compatibility, as HL5 is both solid and flexy, I think it could work with a wide variety of rubbers.

I've tried it with Vega Pro, H3 Neo (39 deg, unboosted), MX-P on FH. I've tried it with Acuda Blue P2, Omega V Europe, EL-S, T05 and Boosted Baracuda on BH. They all worked well. MX-P is a bit bouncy though.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2016 at 11:02am

Well, almost, IMHO.

Soft rubbers don't go well with stiff, hard blades as the rubbers would bottom out quicker. If you put the same rubber on a softer blade, you could finish more strokes without the bottoming out. As I said, IMO.

I've tried it with Vega Pro, H3 Neo (39 deg, unboosted), MX-P on FH. I've tried it with Acuda Blue P2, Omega V Europe, EL-S, T05 and Boosted Baracuda on BH. They all worked well. MX-P is a bit bouncy though. T05 was great on the FH as well. I would not use EL-S on FH though.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2016 at 3:47pm

Well, almost, IMHO.

Soft rubbers don't go well with stiff, hard blades as the rubbers would bottom out quicker. If you put the same rubber on a softer blade, you could finish more strokes without the bottoming out.

Your personal preferences notwithstanding, there are many players who have used stiff hard blades with soft rubbers for their style.  If anyone wants to get into the details or concepts behind rubber and blade matching at a technical level, they are here:

https://thoughtsontabletennis.wordpress.com/2015/04/25/introduction-to-table-tennis-blade-design/

But the general rules he provides are more thinking about high level offensive looping/attack game, and do not account for idiosyncratic styles or feelings for the ball.  I know blockers who put soft rubbers on extremely fast blades. It's their thing.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2016 at 11:15pm
^ agree. it's more personal style and technique. e.g. a lot of ppl like rakza 7 but i tried it for 10 min and hated it. too fast, not enough for spin vs speed, somewhat too hard. meanwhile the next guy over is raving how rakza 7 is not too fast, and easier for him to spin with than tenergy.

for me, soft works on anything. it's just that you lose some power with flatter shots like flips and counters. tenergy works on everything!!
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
comodoensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comodoensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2021 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

The 7 ply all wood Hurricane B1 has Koto top. B2 does have the same look as HL5. 

Below are HL5 (left) and B2 ALC (right).

How is fang bo handle compared to PG5X? Which one is smaller? 
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2021 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Da Baobei Da Baobei wrote:

Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

I have 4 ML-5 blades weighing different from 86 grams to 91 grams. I use H3 blue #22 sponge on f/h and Ten 05 or Rakza 7 on b/h. I bought the new IF-ALC to compare. The IF-ALC I got was to fast, faster than my Viscaria, it was uncontrollable for me. I don't know if I got a weird one or not, but I bought it from Butterfly N.A. when they first got them. But I love the HL-5 not to fast but has a lot of control.

Your IF must be a monster if it is faster than a HL5. Do you know the weight?

The classic HL5 (not the recent with thickened core) is a slow blade. at least my instance from TT11. I cannot call it fast. It is not bouncy. It is made for control and topspin attacks. As someone mentioned here, due to the head size and possible thanks to the shape of the wings it flexes making it to explode a big time on powerful shots. Mine is 91g, so it has enough meat in it to be considered fast, but the truth is, blade is not fast. Viscaria in 87g or Stiga 12k is faster. Geek

Edited by fmarek - 05/18/2021 at 10:46am
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2021 at 10:45am
Originally posted by danjacob02 danjacob02 wrote:

Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

anyone played with B2 and opinion?

I've played with both the HL5 and B2. HL5 is flexier and has more dwell time. B2 is harder and stiffer and is better for blocks. For a looper the HL5 would be better. The B2 would be better for those who like to block with their backhand or is an all-around player and loops with their Bhand less. Well still boils down to personal preference. Speed for both blades is about the same IMHO.

In general I agree with this. When choosing to upgrade my blade I almost went for B2. The reason is that I was coming from 5ply limba, I just needed a bit more devil to add to it. So ended up choosing between B2 and HL5. Oh boy, glad I went ahead and got myself HL5. What a great piece of equipment it is!!! I mentioned elsewhere, it helped me to fix number of problems. BH loops, FH loops, FH top spin kills, and surprise surprise - BH blocks. I have the most consistent BH block in the the club. It was not something I was specially training for. People would come to warmup with me because I somehow magically able to block their top spins with precise placement, no effort from my side. The only explanations to this is gear as I did not train blocks with my coach at all. HL5 impressed and surprised me. Ayous x 3, alc and limba. This blade does not have any special feeling. Koto is crisp and precise; hinoki is like warm butter LOL, walnut has pleasant tok tok vibration. Even hardened limba on stigas is crisp. HL5 is not here and not there, somewhat muted feeling, softish. It took me some time to develop a feeling to tell where ball is touching a surface. Nothing special on the feeling side. No distractions. It just made for heavy duty playing rather than focusing on the feel and etc.

One thing to notice though - these days I normally have setup weighting around 192g, whereas blade is 91g. The other day I changed FH rubber and ended up with 188g, maybe I used less glue or rubber was not consistent. So when setup is under 190g it feels like blade bends less and catapults less. 3g should not be such a big deal but it is.
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic