FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Price of celluloid balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 2:23pm
One thing that has been accurately pointed out is that nobody wanted to switch to plastic balls.  Among people who have tried them opinions vary. 

Some people completely hate and reject them (usual reaction first time they are used, mine for sure). 

With time some people get used to them and can be said to at least tolerate them (a lot of people I know).  Most of these people would still prefer celluloid and don't believe any of the explanations given for the switch but they have gotten used to the "new normal".

There are a few people who actually in time say they like them better than celluloid (a few people have said so on this forum for example, and a 2500 level player at my club told me he thinks they give him a competitive advantage so he likes them). 

For me it depends strongly on which plastic ball we are talking about.  I fall somewhere halfway between hate and tolerate for Chinese seamed ones I have seen so far (all of which were made in June).  I definitely tolerate a good XSF ball and can enjoy playing.  I like a Nittaku Premium Japan 40+ as much as celluloid from a pure playing quality perspective, but of course they are expensive and almost impossible to buy for the moment. 

I have the strong impression that 40+ balls increase rubber wear. 
Sponsored Links

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

what clubs in Northern Calif that sponsor weekly RR events have switched to plastic?

The Modesto and Sonora clubs have already switched to plastic and the Folsom club will switch on the 9th.
[/QUOTE]

Folsom which is the larger club in your area will not switch until Nov.  Modesto and sonora both are under the folsom internet banner.  Basically your statement that three clubs have switched to plastic is not correct.  I don't care whether a club or league moves to plastic as the new TT normal will be a mixture of old along with a variety of seamed and seamless  plastic balls. It makes sense that the  Sonora/Modesto move to plastic which supports the Folsom league RR 
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how or why you have tied the Modesto/Sonora clubs to the Folsom club.  Do you think I'm mistaken and that the Modesto/Sonora clubs have not switched?   We do not have any affiliation with the Folsom club.  I go to the Folsom club about 15 times a year for their Sunday round robins.  There are many clubs larger and closer to Modesto than the Folsom club.  I also go to the Top Spin club in San Jose, but since I don't know what they are doing with plastic I didn't report what they're using, although since many of their players are going to the Nationals I would assume many of them are using the plastic ball along with other bay area clubs.

Why is it that you and mastermind seem to know what we like and what we are using more than we do.  I'm fine with you not liking the plastic and not using it, but I wonder why you're bothered by my liking the ball and using it.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 3:46pm

Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

what clubs in Northern Calif that sponsor weekly RR events have switched to plastic?

The Modesto and Sonora clubs have already switched to plastic and the Folsom club will switch on the 9th.

Folsom which is the larger club in your area will not switch until Nov.  Modesto and sonora both are under the folsom internet banner.  Basically your statement that three clubs have switched to plastic is not correct.  I don't care whether a club or league moves to plastic as the new TT normal will be a mixture of old along with a variety of seamed and seamless  plastic balls. It makes sense that the  Sonora/Modesto move to plastic which supports the Folsom league RR 
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how or why you have tied the Modesto/Sonora clubs to the Folsom club.  Do you think I'm mistaken and that the Modesto/Sonora clubs have not switched?   We do not have any affiliation with the Folsom club.  I go to the Folsom club about 15 times a year for their Sunday round robins.  There are many clubs larger and closer to Modesto than the Folsom club.  I also go to the Top Spin club in San Jose, but since I don't know what they are doing with plastic I didn't report what they're using, although since many of their players are going to the Nationals I would assume many of them are using the plastic ball along with other bay area clubs.

Why is it that you and mastermind seem to know what we like and what we are using more than we do.  I'm fine with you not liking the plastic and not using it, but I wonder why you're bothered by my liking the ball and using it.
[/QUOTE]

Notice how similar these pages appear actually the same, so a reasonable person would expect these clubs to be attached at the hip: maybe U should get your story straight, I never said what U like, in fact I could care less what U like or dislike.  But your prior statement about 3 clubs already switched over to plastic was incorrect.  

link to Folsom club:http://www.folsomtt.com/#
link to Modesto club: http://www.folsomtt.com/index.php/m-sep-resources/m-clubs/37-modesto-table-tennis-club
link to Sonora club:http://www.folsomtt.com/index.php/m-sep-resources/m-clubs/46-sonora-table-tennis-club

kuifje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuifje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 4:04pm
Mastermind has a "funny" way of communicating, and clearly has his own agenda. I wrote about what's going to happen in England, i.e. virtually all clubs/local leagues will switch to plastic next year, and mastermind had an "interesting" response to that. Indeed it is perhaps not mandatory for local leagues, but all other competitions will switch, and that includes not only tournaments, but also county matches and British league. So of course local leagues will follow suit and switch.

I am not really bothered about the switch to plastic, I've played with the ones from DF, and they play ok. A bit different indeed, but not dramatically so. And coming back to the OP, the price of celluloid is, at least in the UK, likely to go down nearer the date of the switch, ie July 2015.

Edited by kuifje - 10/29/2014 at 4:05pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 4:42pm
[QUOTE)

Notice how similar these pages appear actually the same, so a reasonable person would expect these clubs to be attached at the hip: maybe U should get your story straight, I never said what U like, in fact I could care less what U like or dislike.  But your prior statement about 3 clubs already switched over to plastic was incorrect.  

link to Folsom club:http://www.folsomtt.com/#
link to Modesto club: http://www.folsomtt.com/index.php/m-sep-resources/m-clubs/37-modesto-table-tennis-club
link to Sonora club:http://www.folsomtt.com/index.php/m-sep-resources/m-clubs/46-sonora-table-tennis-club
[/QUOTE]

Wow, you really have to stretch to make your pointless point.  The Folsom website lists over 30 Northern California clubs as places to play.  Are all these clubs under the Folsom club?  To my knowledge no Folsom player has ever been to the Modesto club and only two have been to the Sonora club (about 10 years ago) because they were working in the area.

My statement has always been correct.  The Modesto club plays with the plastic ball.  Sonora club plays with the plastic ball.  The Folsom club will switch to the plastic ball on November 9th.  These three clubs are not in anyway connected to each other. 

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 5:56pm
Money saving idea:

If you play celluloid ball and want to buy some more, make it known to your club members that you want to buy some if anyone is willing to sell it cheap.  That may save you some money.

I still have a lot of Nittaku 3-star balls (regular, not premium), I paid for about $1.50 a ball, but will be glad to sell it at $1.00 a piece. (I don't think I can sell any in our club.)

Our club just announced: "New plastic Nittaku SHA 40+ balls for league play." I can see the writing on the wall.  I don't think I can sell any of my celluloid ball in our club.  Many club members have already bought the SHA 40+ plastic balls from our club. (I think our club has ordered and received hundreds of the plastic balls and sells them to the club members at cost).
skip3119
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 3:37am
I tried to get the non tournament players at the club to use up the celluloid balls before using the poly balls.  They won't use them.

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 11:03am

I tried to get the non tournament players at the club to use up the celluloid balls before using the poly balls.  They won't use them.
==========================================

I guess those players still having celluloid balls are willing to sell them below cost.
---------------------------------------

Some clubs' switching to the plastic ball may be a gradual process, but for us it was sudden.  One announcement, the demand for the celluloid balls, in our club, just dropped to zero.
skip3119
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 11:15am
Get the smartest guy in the forum to buy them all - he will be a millionaire when the come back he predicts for celluloid takes place.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Mastermind View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

...when the come back he predicts for celluloid takes place.

If you mean me, I do not predict, I see the facts and the trend.

From the present perspective I estimate the possibility that celluloid balls will be banned by the ITTF as fairly unlikely, given the feedback. But still technically possible.

If celluloid balls are not banned, we will have essentially the present situation at worst, in the countries with the well developed league system anyway, where the plastic ball is neglected by the vast majority.

Then, in a year or so I believe the number of international tournaments using plastic will be reduced gradually, or at least the organizers will have the right to choose the ball (as they by the have on paper now).

racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 2:51pm
Do equipment manufacturers have an incentive to stop making celluloid balls?

I take issue with how equipment regulations put forth by the ITTF change the way I experience the game and potentially reduce my enjoyment of playing and watching it. If equipment manufacturers play along with the ITTF as they have been, then it seems inevitable that everyone has to eventually switch.

I wish we can hold out indefinitely --- playing with the celluloid ball or even playing with the old 38mm ball, but when they stop making them, and our reserves dry out, we have no choice but to switch. Perhaps if the general playing public started a boycott, forcing the manufacturers to continue making the celluloid ball. I wonder.

1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 2:57pm
As far as I know our club (as of 2 weeks ago) is still using the old ball.  No pressure so far to make the change...that will change when tournaments begin to use the new ball I suspect.  So the change will probably come as some point.  I have hit with a few different balls, and I admit I'm not eager to make the change at this point in time.  I'm also not preparing for any competition at this time Clap, so I don't feel any pressure to change (yet).  Once I decide to jump back into competitive mode, it will depend on which ball is being used I suppose.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

playing with the celluloid ball or even playing with the old 38mm ball,

Those are 2 different things, since the 38mm ball is banned and the celluloid ball is not banned.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Mastermind Mastermind wrote:

playing with the celluloid ball or even playing with the old 38mm ball,

Those are 2 different things, since the 38mm ball is banned and the celluloid ball is not banned.

I don't compete in ITTF sanctioned tournaments. The ITTF shouldn't have the power to limit equipment choices available to recreational players. I believe amateur tournaments should not have to abide by ITTF equipment regulations at all.

My point is, I and others like me can resist all we want, but when the manufacturers stop making the celluloid ball, like I'm assuming they have stopped making the 38 mm ball, and we can no longer buy celluloid balls on the market, then we would have no choice but to switch.

My question is do manufacturers have enough financial incentives to maintain production of the celluloid ball?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 4:02pm

My point is, I and others like me can resist all we want, but when the manufacturers stop making the celluloid ball, like I'm assuming they have stopped making the 38 mm ball, and we can no longer buy celluloid balls on the market, then we would have no choice but to switch.

My question is do manufacturers have enough financial incentives to maintain production of the celluloid ball?

In my understanding, manufacturer stopped making the 38 mm ball because the demand for it became close to zero after it was banned by the ITTF and consequently by the national Associations in their internal rules. Why continue making 38 mm ball if practically nobody buys it? This is a purely economic issue.

The situation with celluloid/plastic is completely different now, as it can be seen in the countries with the well developed league system. The highest league(s) and some tournaments go plastic, but the vast majority playing mostly in leagues stick to celluloid. They continue buying celluloid balls and this is exactly the financial incentive for manufacturers.

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by cheondo cheondo wrote:

We must OBEY our ITTF masters and use plastic balls. So what if they play like crap and are really expensive. And so what if 90% or more of us on this forum will never play international events.

Tongue

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 6:54pm

I take issue with how equipment regulations put forth by the ITTF change the way I experience the game and potentially reduce my enjoyment of playing and watching it. If equipment manufacturers play along with the ITTF as they have been, then it seems inevitable that everyone has to eventually switch.

I wish we can hold out indefinitely --- playing with the celluloid ball or even playing with the old 38mm ball, but when they stop making them, and our reserves dry out, we have no choice but to switch. Perhaps if the general playing public started a boycott, forcing the manufacturers to continue making the celluloid ball. I wonder.

The ITTF has not put forth any regulations that would limit what ball you play with.  You and your friends can pick whatever ball you want.  The ITTF doesn't care.  The manufacturer's don't even care what ball you use.  If enough people want to continue using the celluloid ball, they will continue to be made.  If there isn't a market for celluloid balls, they won't be made.  It's really that simple.

My feeling is that there is very little difference in the balls.  If the plastic balls are more durable (and they appear to be) it would make economic sense that most players would switch to plastic.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 7:26pm
A few correction or additions.  Seamed Chinese plastic balls so far have had durability problems, unless they have fixed that in the last couple of months (which I personally doubt).  Seamless Chinese do not have that problem, at least if you get an ITTF approved one in March ore more recently.   The various types of balls have quite different bounce heights that give you something like four distinctly different playing experiences:  celluloid; seamed Chinese; seamless Chinese; Nittaku Premium Japan.  These differences are greater than we ever had with celluloid.  Someone could like one of the plastic balls and absolutely hate another type.  (Well, me for example).  Everybody likes celluloid because you know what you are going to get and how to play with them.  All plastic balls are slower and have less spin than celluloid.  That is not very hard to get used to.  But the differences in their bounce are quite extreme.  If you are not going to play a lot of competitions that use plastic, there is no obvious reason to buy them.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 7:36pm

The ITTF has not put forth any regulations that would limit what ball you play with.  You and your friends can pick whatever ball you want.  The ITTF doesn't care.  The manufacturer's don't even care what ball you use.  If enough people want to continue using the celluloid ball, they will continue to be made.  If there isn't a market for celluloid balls, they won't be made.  It's really that simple.

My feeling is that there is very little difference in the balls.  If the plastic balls are more durable (and they appear to be) it would make economic sense that most players would switch to plastic.

Do you mean that the switch to the 40mm ball and in turn the death of the 38mm ball was driven purely by consumer demand? Do you mean that had the 40mm ball been first introduced by manufacturers as a novel alternative, most non-professional players would have eventually come to prefer it over the 38mm ball anyways?

Which was the cause and which the effect: people decided to switch to the 40mm ball, demand for the 38mm ball decreased, manufacturers stopped making them; or manufactures stopped making the 38mm ball and people was forced to switch?

If it's the former, why did people who are non-professional players feel the need to switch?

Edited by racquetsforsale - 10/30/2014 at 7:42pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 8:14pm

[/QUOTE]

Do you mean that the switch to the 40mm ball and in turn the death of the 38mm ball was driven purely by consumer demand? Do you mean that had the 40mm ball been first introduced by manufacturers as a novel alternative, most non-professional players would have eventually come to prefer it over the 38mm ball anyways?

Which was the cause and which the effect: people decided to switch to the 40mm ball, demand for the 38mm ball decreased, manufacturers stopped making them; or manufactures stopped making the 38mm ball and people was forced to switch?

If it's the former, why did people who are non-professional players feel the need to switch?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea why the non-professional players switched to the 40mm ball.  But they quit buying the 38's so production stopped on the 38's.  If manufacturer's felt there would have been a continued demand for the 38's production would have continued.

I suspect that in any sport, if the pros switch to a different type of equipment, the masses will follow.  I still have my Jack Kramer wooden tennis racket, but I doubt the pros will switch back to wooden rackets.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 8:26pm

If it's the former, why did people who are non-professional players feel the need to switch?

It was not quite so that people who were non-professional players felt the need to switch. The rules were changed, therefore unlike in the present situation both tournaments and the leagues switched to the 40mm ball. It was like changing a law in a country. They had to switchSmile . Or they could "emigrate", but unfortunately there was no other international TT Federation and all the national association were members of the one and only ITTF.

Now the TT rules regarding balls are the same as 10 years ago, both celluloid and "similar plastic" are legal. They only chose plastic for some international and national events (in violation of the existing rules, in my opinion).  This is the difference.

Edited by Mastermind - 10/30/2014 at 8:26pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 8:34pm

It was not quite so that people who were non-professional players felt the need to switch. The rules were changed, therefore unlike in the present situation both tournaments and the leagues switched to the 40mm ball. It was like changing a law in a country. They had to switchSmile . Or they could "emigrate", but unfortunately there was no other international TT Federation and all the national association were members of the one and only ITTF.

Now the TT rules regarding balls are the same as 10 years ago, both celluloid and "similar plastic" are legal. They only chose plastic for some international and national events (in violation of the existing rules, in my opinion).  This is the difference.

I do not ever recall seeing any rule or law requiring clubs or leagues switch from the 38 to 40mm ball.  I could have missed the rule/law change, if so, will you please show it to me.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 9:28pm

Why did non-professional tournaments and leagues feel the need to switch? They don't have to answer to the ITTF right? For people who are not playing towards entering ITTF tournaments/turning pro (and that's what, 99% of the playing population in the world?), why should they give a crap what the ITTF says?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 9:36pm

I do not ever recall seeing any rule or law requiring clubs or leagues switch from the 38 to 40mm ball.  I could have missed the rule/law change, if so, will you please show it to me.

Usually at tournaments and league competitions the ITTF rules of the game (racket, ball, table, service, counting etc) are mandatory as universal rules, it is not so that every league has its own ones. There are special cases, but they are rare exceptions. If the ITTF change the rules, they are followed.

This can change, however, if they ban celluloid balls. It is well possible that it will be perceived as too much, and I have such a feeling that they know that.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 9:47pm

Why did non-professional tournaments and leagues feel the need to switch?

I actually did not say they did, I meant they had to. At the moment the ITTF rules are universal, international, so the change in leagues happens automatically, with some exceptions. The whole thing is organized this way. National Associations follow the ITTF, local federations follow their national Associations and so on. People want to have universal rules, made by an international body. This is not a bad idea at all, unless this international body gets corrupt and starts sucking money out the player's pockets through equipment rule changes.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2014 at 12:26am
ITTF have not banned celluloid balls. They have only banned the use of celluloid balls in ITTF sanctioned events.

So, there are no reasons to stop using celluloid balls in non-ITTF sanctioned events.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2014 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by hithithit hithithit wrote:

ITTF have not banned celluloid balls. They have only banned the use of celluloid balls in ITTF sanctioned events.

So, there are no reasons to stop using celluloid balls in non-ITTF sanctioned events.

I would not even call this a ban. They simply said that the ITTF events will start exclusively using these brands/plastic etc.

When ITTF said a few years ago that they will use only DHS balls for ProTour events, you wouldn't call that a "ban on Nittaku" balls, right?

Granted the analogy is not 100% but close enough Wink
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2014 at 12:25pm
The best plastic ball, according to what I have read here, is Nittau 3*** 40+ Premium.
Paddlepalace will have it soon, but not now.

However, the price is known:  12 balls for $33.95.

Edited by skip3119 - 11/02/2014 at 12:25pm
skip3119
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2014 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

The best plastic ball, according to what I have read here, is Nittau 3*** 40+ Premium.
Paddlepalace will have it soon, but not now.

However, the price is known:  12 balls for $33.95.

I finally played with it last night.  It played very similar to Nittaku Premium celluloid except a bit bigger and slower.  For all practical purposes I'd say it behaves exactly how a 40+ sized celluloid ball would at the same weight of the old celluloid, so this new polyball will require the least change from all players.  However, it is harder to spin due to size and the sound is more muted. 
All in all, I am glad we have this ball instead of all the other terrible versions out there.  Smile

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2014 at 3:52pm
I still don't think the prices of the reputable brands' celluloid balls will drop any time soon, not until 2016 or close to it, by which time plastic balls should become more widely used and one would expect the precursor to that is better ball quality (e.g. Other brands' 3 star plastic balls becoming like the Nittaku Premium 40+ in quality).

If anything, before 2016, I think the price of good reputable brands' celluloid balls might rise due to the inventory risks that stores now face in having to stock both the celluloid and plastic balls.

Facts to think about, the recommended prices of celluloid balls in the newly released Japanese TSP catalogue for 2014-2015 remain unchanged.

Further to this, in May / June, I received confirmation from a large manufacturer that they have no plans to stop producing celluloid balls.

Note too, you will know when the market will start to phase out celluloid balls when you see manufacturers start phasing out established rubber and blade models with the 40+ models. Right now, they are introducing the 40+ models (think DHS, Nittaku, Stiga), with Nittaku being the front runner as if you haven't yet noticed, they have labelled how compatible their rubbers and blades are with the 40+ balls.

Personally, I still don't see the need to abandon the celluloid balls because the plastic balls are still in the piloting phase. But if I were shopping for a new blade, I would go for a blade designed for the 40+ balls.

Summary:
1) Prices of reputable brands' celluloid balls should not drop any time soon
2) Plastic balls are still in the piloting stage
3) 40+ designed blades are better for the long term
4) Celluloid balls will still be common for at least another year
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic