FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Beginner setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beginner setup
    Posted: 10/30/2014 at 8:32am
My bro has started to train table tennis. He is a typical strong basement player with lots of unorthodox movements, but excellent control, placement, great spin generation on chops, good serve receive and spin reading. I would rate him in the USATT 1300 range. He wins all games vs untrained players and some vs trained juniors or trained beginners, but of course he will have trouble with more experienced trained players

He will now be training proper techniques and practising around 3 times per week.

He needed a new setup (he was playing with a Dunlop premade!) He wanted to make his purchase yesterday so after some research we got:

Blade: Yasaka Extra
Rubbers: Palio CJ8000 and Galaxy Moon 38 degrees (normal not Pro)

This kept the budget low and should provide him with a good base for learning proper looping and blocking while allowing him to keep playing chops which are his natural strong point.

The question is: is this combination really too slow? I mean would it be better to put slightly
faster rubbers or was a blade like Xiom Diva more appropriate? Does this rubber / blade combination work well?

I have never played with the rubbers or the blade before, but they seem to form an excellent controlled setup which can allow him to master techniques he maybe even unaware of at this stage. 

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Sponsored Links

100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 8:45am
It is not slow. It is faster than what he had. This will be good transition for 6 months or more to come ... Maybe even more !
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 12:16pm
I will add that it may feel a bit slow at first on the fh side, depending on how sticky the palio is.  It should pick up speed as it wears.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 2:22pm
I've used CJ8000 on a Yasaka Extra. Ball contact felt, well, convoluted if you will.

I recommend Donic Appelgren Allplay or Persson Powerallround. Senso or solid handle is fine, except Senso versions might get top heavy. Both blades pair well with a good range of rubbers, whether grippy, tacky, hard sponge, or soft sponge.

I also recommend Palio Hidden Dragon instead of CJ8000. It has more feel. Use the harder version for FH and softer version for BH.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 3:19pm
Clarence, your bro can do well with that blade/rubber, it is very allround and capable enough for him to "learn" TT if he decides to go in that direction with lessons at a club if available. Price complete for that setup is likely very reasonable around USD $70 give or take a little and shipping.

He could also get along just fine with Cole's buster with XP 2008, the 896 with 2008, the Genote O with 2008 and it would all be around $30 to $40 USD. He could also get a Wallmart $3 USD bat with SP, peel off the SP and rub off the glue and slap on some 2008 and it would fulfill the same role. I often make bats for Soldiers with Wallmart blade and 2008 or whatever rubbers are lying around ro donated.

Don't sweat it too much, you are choosing equipment that is middle of the road speed and controllable, even if that Palio rubber is a bit tacky, it is slow and controllable. Even a not-so-very spin reactive rubber like 2008 can react to strong spin and one must still read the spin and use effective bat angle and swing plane and impact point. 

Middle of  the road controllable gear will allow your bro to learn if he decides to pursue that or simply allow him to make shots now and have fun if that is all he is interested in.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 3:29pm
Clarence, when I am not using my expensive Nexy OFF or so speed class blades, I often play with an ALL+ to OFF- speed class Galaxy 896 I made heavier, use XP 2008 Super Power (a medium speed control rubber) (You also use it) and Aurus for FH. These are the two rubbers I use to test nearly every bat. I know what I am getting.

Coming from playing with OFF speed composite bats, this bat would be slower, and it is. Yet, I still hit pretty hard and it is fast enough with even average speed rubbers. Such a setup is plenty controllable and still provides enough potential to grow and still hit hard when needed.

I think that is essentially what you are trying to achieve.

Don't sweat it that bat combo you chose will do the same mission just as well as the one I chose once he gets used to it and starts to improve and apply what he learns in lessons or training.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 7:25pm
There is absolutely nothing wrong with "middle of the road" in terms of blade and rubber performance. The potential is there for plenty of power especially if a player has good form and fast arm speed. Just my 2 and a half peanuts.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic