Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blade - Active=Fast & Passive=Slow?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Smash View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade - Active=Fast & Passive=Slow?
    Posted: 10/30/2014 at 2:47pm
Hi,

I was trying to find a Fast blade that is well balanced in regard to being - 
Fast when hitting actively.
Slow when hitting passively.
Or that at least has the best compromise in this regard.

I see that there are a number of different ways to design a fast blade - 

- All wood with a hard outer layer -  thick and heavy - stiga ebenholz NCT VII.

- Hard outer layer with carbon inner - thin and lightweight -  xiom v1 quad ,Yasaka Extra Offensive 7 Power. 

- hinoki outer layer with carbon inner - thick and medium weight, good for long range shots - donic ovcharov carbospeed, schlager carbon, xiom axelo.

- Thick balsa carbon blade - BTY balsa carbo X5.

- One ply Hinoki - darker speed 90.

I would have guessed maybe the Hinoki outer would absorb the incoming ball with passive shots allowing good control, then allow the inner layers of carbon to activate on harder shots.. 
BUT - I had read that Hinoki can be very SPRINGY and that alot of players don't like it because of that.? [perhaps not allowing good control on slow shots?].

Thanks very much in advance.

XIOM Hayabusa Zxi - Joola Zhyzm - Joola Zhyzm
Sponsored Links

LethalForehand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LethalForehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 7:50pm
An ayous core gives good power to the blades combined with limba to make if feel soft and slow on passive shot on the outside is a classic combination.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 8:48pm
So you want good gears:
OFF-: Nexy Calix 2
OFF: Nittaku Barwell Fleet
Smash View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 9:36pm
Thank you Gentlemen.

The Nittaku Barwell Fleet looks to be a very well balanced blade that has had some great feedback from the guys who have played with it.

I have been doing some research of Balsa blades this morning too. 
The Re-Impact brand blades and Dr Neubauer Titan look interesting - to say the least..
XIOM Hayabusa Zxi - Joola Zhyzm - Joola Zhyzm
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

So you want good gears:
OFF-: Nexy Calix 2
OFF: Nittaku Barwell Fleet

+1

I would also recommend the Nittaku Barwell without glass fiber.
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2014 at 11:24pm
i think one-ply hinoki is also fast during passive strokes as it have high catapult 
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 5:42am
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

i think one-ply hinoki is also fast during passive strokes as it have high catapult 

you are right. One-ply hinoki is the opposite of what he is looking for. The only phase a one-ply hinoki is kind of slower than expected is spinny looping. 
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 6:50am
@ Smash - I tend to like direct feeling blades for reasons you've specified...

Very soft blades tend to mute the touch and disguise the proportional effort (if that makes sense). ...

TB ZLC direct, awesome control and speed range on tap (my banker for the new ball) ...

M. Maze ALC is softer but not mushy, awesome control and speed range but not as direct as the TB ZLC. ...

Rubbers choice also contributes to touch sensitivity and control of course...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 1:15pm
You might have more luck finding your blade if you go for blade and rubber combos instead of just blade alone
I like the idea of a fast blade combined with a medium speed and medium hard rubber i feel this way i get the really fast active strokes but is capable of slowing it down on passive blocks

729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Smash Smash wrote:

I have been doing some research of Balsa blades this morning too. 
The Re-Impact brand blades and Dr Neubauer Titan look interesting - to say the least..

The Dr N's Titan is a re-badged Re-Impact Tachi.  It is a relatively slow blade (ALL+) compared to what you are looking for.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic