Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Violence in Table Tennis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

...if this little punk did it to my son I'd press charges 100%.

I don't have kids, but I can't imagine pressing charges in this incident. I would take action to keep the kid from the club and have the sanctioning organization censure/punish him in some way.  But that's about it.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Sponsored Links

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 12:04am
The umpire could have been seriously hurt as he was essentially stuck on the chair as he fell.  His head could have hit the ground first.  It was extremely dangerous.  I would have called the police and let them write an official report, then sue the crap out of his parents.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 1:16am

The umpire could have been seriously hurt as he was essentially stuck on the chair as he fell.  His head could have hit the ground first.  It was extremely dangerous.  I would have called the police and let them write an official report, then sue the crap out of his parents.

It was not extremely dangerous.  Yes, it is possible that the umpire could have been hurt.  But that's pretty unlikely. If getting shoved to the ground (wooden floor) while seated is "extremely dangerous" then so are most of our day to day activities.

Unless the umpire was actually injured, I doubt there would be any basis for a law suit. Of course any parent needs to do what they think is necessary to protect their child.  But I think calling the police over a shove to the ground is an overreaction. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 1:25am
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

But I think calling the police over a shove to the ground is an overreaction. 

Perhaps.  But I'd have a hard time believing other parents in SoCal won't call the police if this ever happens to their kid in a sanctioned tournament here... There's no way you can put a finger on any of their kids without causing a major uproar.  I used to make fun of them, but now that I am a parent I know I won't let a little punk assault my son without serious consequences either.  Bullied kids can easily get scarred psychologically for life (I am attending a child bullying class right now...many kids got so depressed after being physically assaulted they killed themselves later).  Bullies are the worst enemy for your kids, trust me.

Edited by roundrobin - 11/24/2014 at 1:31am
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 1:50am

Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

But I think calling the police over a shove to the ground is an overreaction. 

Perhaps.  But I'd have a hard time believing other parents in SoCal won't call the police if this ever happens to their kid in a sanctioned tournament here... There's no way you can put a finger on any of their kids without causing a major uproar.  I used to make fun of them, but now that I am a parent I know I won't let a little punk assault my son without serious consequences either.  Bullied kids can easily get scarred psychologically for life (I am attending a child bullying class right now...many kids got so depressed after being physically assaulted they killed themselves later).  Bullies are the worst enemy for your kids, trust me.

I agree that bullying is a real problem and that parents and other adults working with children need to be on the lookout for it.  But two kids having a short altercation isn't necessarily or even probably bullying.  Bullying is repeated intimidation.  I think it is usually hidden from adults - not done in full view.  I also think that at the age of these boys, there could be some wisdom in giving them at least some space to work things out for themselves. 

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 9:10am
Disciplinary Committee of FNTR (Russian TT Federation) announced their decision:

Melnichenko is DQ'd for 1 year (cannot take part in any official FNTR-sanctioned or international competitions) and then will be on probation for another 1/2 year.

Also the just punishment was meted out for the main umpire of the competition (who did not take any measures whatsoever even after the fact was brought to his attention). His accreditation is suspended - he will not be able to take part in any FNTR or international competitions for 1 year.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
mahomedy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 9:25am
Oh well,he deserves it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic