Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Training at 4 years old

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
connor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training at 4 years old
    Posted: 11/20/2014 at 2:02pm
connor
Sponsored Links

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 2:48pm
That's soo cool!!Tongue 
She is super cute!

You should build a deck so she is elevated to a normal height to the table like ZJK's father did. 
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 4:30pm
You can have her stand on this:

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 4:33pm
Wow, that is one talented little girl!  And the little boy too!
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 6:15pm
These are very gifted kids.  All the kids I know did not possess this level of hand-eye coordination at that age.  You can kind of see that their brains tell their hands to hit the ball, but by the time the signal reach the hands, the ball already flights by.   
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

These are very gifted kids.  All the kids I know did not possess this level of hand-eye coordination at that age.  You can kind of see that their brains tell their hands to hit the ball, but by the time the signal reach the hands, the ball already flights by.   

Agreed, and I have seen many little kids about this age or even older, 6-7, who just don't have that kind of hand-eye coordination.  Also, these kids seem to have fun doing it top, which is the next big thing.
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 4:37pm
Really talented! Reminds me of my first years as a table tennis player! 
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 6:03pm
Not gifted at all. Just lots of practice, hard work and lots of opportunities to practice and people around them willing to give time and effort to help them develop. Gifted to me would imply that this level was achieved without any real effort which I'm pretty sure it was not.

More people would get further in life if they realised that people get out of things what they put in. Assuming someone is better at something than you because they have some inbuilt natural ability just stops you working to get where they are.

Far better to appreciate the effort put into getting to the level they are than congratulate someone for being a good player and assume it all came easy to them.

Edited by JKC - 11/22/2014 at 6:08pm
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 12:04am
I don't know - at 4 years old, how much practice could they possibly have? 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 3:19am
Originally posted by JKC JKC wrote:

Not gifted at all. Just lots of practice, hard work and lots of opportunities to practice and people around them willing to give time and effort to help them develop. Gifted to me would imply that this level was achieved without any real effort which I'm pretty sure it was not.
Hear, hear. Talent is a myth. The problem is that it's both prevalent and persistent. In popular consciousness, talent is the be all and end all, the ultimate excuse for some achieving and the rest remaining firmly tethered to the couch.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 5:12am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Hear, hear. Talent is a myth. The problem is that it's both prevalent and persistent. In popular consciousness, talent is the be all and end all, the ultimate excuse for some achieving and the rest remaining firmly tethered to the couch.

Talent is real with regards to speed of acquiring the abilities, and maximum potential of abilities. 
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 5:24am
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

Talent is real with regards to speed of acquiring the abilities, and maximum potential of abilities. 
Yes, that is the myth. It's just a pity there is absolutely no evidence to support it. I would be happy to see any scientific studies that show some people have this unidentified quality. Until then, it's just another name for hard work.
john18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 6:00am

Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

Yes, that is the myth. It's just a pity there is absolutely no evidence to support it. I would be happy to see any scientific studies that show some people have this unidentified quality. Until then, it's just another name for hard work.

Interseting debate. Personally, I think there is a "thing" that can be called talent and you need it to be at the very very top of the world in sport (or in an another field).
For example, if we train exactly the same a group of 10 or 100 or 1000 people with for example the training method of CNT. Exactly the same amount of training for each person. After 5 or 7 or 10 years, I'm sure there will be 1 or 2 or more individuals who will stand out because they are gifted.
However, others persons surely will have a good level but not all the same and of course you can be better and reach a good level with hard work but to be on the very very top... (like in the Top 5 in WR)

Edited by john18 - 11/23/2014 at 6:03am
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 4:39am
Originally posted by john18 john18 wrote:

Interseting debate. Personally, I think there is a "thing" that can be called talent and you need it to be at the very very top of the world in sport (or in an another field).
Yes, that is the myth. Something that can't be seen, can't be measured, has never ever been identified and for which we have no real definition is called talent just because some people are better than others. It's a magical case of circular reasoning: we know talent is real because A beats B; A beats B therefore A must be talented.   

The example given is flawed on a number of levels. First and foremost because simply putting 1000 people in an environment for the same length of time still leaves lots and lots of other variables which can't be controlled for. For example, my eyesight is crap, my limbs are disproportionate for my muscle mass, I have marked cross-lateral dominance, my proportion of slow twitch muscle fibres is very high, and I'm too stupid to learn anything. Being able to beat me does not prove talent.

Equally flawed is to confuse excellence with talent. As much as I can't stand Cristiano Ronaldo, I have to concede he is a brilliant dead ball kicker, not because he has a special talent but because he practises it over and over and over again. When everyone else is heading home, he's still kicking the ball. The same was true for Beckham and Jonny Wilkinson, and Tiger Woods and every other super "talent". The hall with 1000 would-be table tennis players will have one or two who want it more and who will work to get it. That's not talent; it's commitment.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 6:56am
that 4 year old girl looks talented Clap
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 8:26am

Yes, that is the myth. Something that can't be seen, can't be measured, has never ever been identified and for which we have no real definition is called talent just because some people are better than others. It's a magical case of circular reasoning: we know talent is real because A beats B; A beats B therefore A must be talented.   

The example given is flawed on a number of levels. First and foremost because simply putting 1000 people in an environment for the same length of time still leaves lots and lots of other variables which can't be controlled for. For example, my eyesight is crap, my limbs are disproportionate for my muscle mass, I have marked cross-lateral dominance, my proportion of slow twitch muscle fibres is very high, and I'm too stupid to learn anything. Being able to beat me does not prove talent.

Equally flawed is to confuse excellence with talent. As much as I can't stand Cristiano Ronaldo, I have to concede he is a brilliant dead ball kicker, not because he has a special talent but because he practises it over and over and over again. When everyone else is heading home, he's still kicking the ball. The same was true for Beckham and Jonny Wilkinson, and Tiger Woods and every other super "talent". The hall with 1000 would-be table tennis players will have one or two who want it more and who will work to get it. That's not talent; it's commitment.

I like your writing talent Clap.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 9:33am

So everybody is exactly the same?  I don't think so.  Some are tall, some are short, some are thicker, some are thinner. Some have better eyesight than others.  On and on.  Anyway, these kids are really good for their age.  Maybe in a couple years they won't be playing at all.  Who knows?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 10:55am
Talent is not a myth - it's just that at the top levels, the amount of hours required to get there are so large that talent is not clearly the highest differentiator.  There are levels of talent, but unless you use the right predictive metrics, how are you going to know?  I mean, look at Zhang Jike's athletic base - that is unreal.

As Baal points out, talented kids stop playing this or that sport all the time.

As for Cristiano Ronaldo, Tassie52, if you think all he is is a brilliant deadball kicker, you are pretty blind.

Sportscience did some test on him  - if you have a chance, watch the whole thing but parts of the documentary point to skills that not everyone can acquire even with 10s of thousands of hours of playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSL-gPMPVXI

Edited by NextLevel - 11/24/2014 at 10:57am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 1:42pm
Apologies to OP this thread has gone into the interesting talent vs Hard work debate.
There was debate on about.com regarding this issue. It was proven conclusively in that thread (to my satisfaction) some people are more talented. Sean O'Neil was arguing for hard work. Then he mentions the Swedish team brought him in for training (Waldner, Persson and Appelgren - were on that team). Sean was the hardest working guy in that group! Last time I checked some of those non-hard working guys won world championships. So I say they had more talent than some very dedicated hard working players. 

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 3:43pm
Just think of your left hand and right hand.  You can train your LH to do whatever your RH can do, but I would say my RH is more "gifted" than my LH.  And we are talking about hands and arms shared the same body and brain.  Now think about arms from different bodies and brains... It won't be hard to imagine that there will be hands that say 5 times the level of difference between my LH and RH better than others.  Next consider arms, legs, lungs, brains...  There must be individuals out there who have all the "right hand" parts for TT.  After 10000 hrs of training, these individuals should beat the crap out off an average Joe with the same training.

Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

As for Cristiano Ronaldo, Tassie52, if you think all he is is a brilliant deadball kicker, you are pretty blind.

Sportscience did some test on him ...
Yes, Ronaldo is an extraordinary athlete, but there was nothing identified in the Sportscience programme which can't be explained in physiological or psychological or sociological terms. There's no need to resort to some mysterious quality. For example, his amazing ability to anticipate the flight of a ball: years of careful observation have taught him how the shape of the kicker at contact predicts how the ball will leave their foot. His dribbling skills: from an early age he learnt to watch his opponents rather than focussing solely on the ball. His speed: physiology.

A similar battery of tests could be performed on Lionel Messi or Gareth Bale or any other football superstar and similar results would turn up. Yes, there are going to be individual differences but that is all they would be - individual differences.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 6:20pm
I am in no way criticising the kids who have reached this level by this age, but as a teacher I think it is far more worthwhile to congratulate them on the effort put into getting to the level that they are at than assuming they are 'super-talented' and have got to this level easily.
No one gains if we put barriers in front of ourselves and assume we can't all get there. The ones who lose out most are the kids themselves when they start to believe they are talented. The longer you can keep a kid thinking they are as good as they are because of hard work, the longer they will keep working.

Edited by JKC - 11/24/2014 at 6:22pm
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

There was debate on about.com regarding this issue. It was proven conclusively in that thread (to my satisfaction) some people are more talented. Sean O'Neil was arguing for hard work. Then he mentions the Swedish team brought him in for training (Waldner, Persson and Appelgren - were on that team). Sean was the hardest working guy in that group! Last time I checked some of those non-hard working guys won world championships. So I say they had more talent than some very dedicated hard working players. 

But this is reductionist thinking: it's not X so it must be Y. What about all the other possible variables? Even simple things such as muscle types are going to make a difference. Hard work alone is not enough.

Why reduce the argument to "they had more talent"? Why not, "They had better coaching at an earlier age" or "They're working in a better national setup" or "They have better psychological profiles" or all of the above?
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 7:16pm

No one gains if we put barriers in front of ourselves and assume we can't all get there. The ones who lose out most are the kids themselves when they start to believe they are talented. The longer you can keep a kid thinking they are as good as they are because of hard work, the longer they will keep working.
Yes!!!    Matthew Syed singles out Darius Knight as a classic example of what happens if you praise talent rather than effort.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 7:33pm
there is no need to argue over watching a four year old hitting the ball back
just enjoy the fact

we all know that hard work, desire to get better, viewable pathway, pushy parents, goal setting, luck, closeness to table tennis club to house, being seen by right people, good coaches, learning to get back up, peer preasure, strenghth of organisation, Country of birth, real rubber on bats, good support, some financial help, some fitness, no girlfriends, viscaria/ or 729 and a little talent could get you anywhere
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 8:45pm

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Sportscience did some test on him ...
Yes, Ronaldo is an extraordinary athlete, but there was nothing identified in the Sportscience programme which can't be explained in physiological or psychological or sociological terms. There's no need to resort to some mysterious quality. For example, his amazing ability to anticipate the flight of a ball: years of careful observation have taught him how the shape of the kicker at contact predicts how the ball will leave their foot. His dribbling skills: from an early age he learnt to watch his opponents rather than focussing solely on the ball. His speed: physiology.

A similar battery of tests could be performed on Lionel Messi or Gareth Bale or any other football superstar and similar results would turn up. Yes, there are going to be individual differences but that is all they would be - individual differences.

If you are going to define talent as some sort of mysterious, supernatural, secret power... well, then yes, I would agree with you that talent doesn't exist.  We can assign some kind of reasoning for almost everything that happens in this world.  But when most people talk about talent, I think they're referring to those that are able to acquire and display a skill at a high level without any sort of formal training or instruction.

If you met someone with a beautiful singing voice and that person had never had any sort of singing lessons, would you not say that person has a "talent" for singing? Yes, I'm sure there are physiological reasons why the person is a good singer (maybe the shape of their throat or how they breathe),  but the fact is that these people have the ability to sing beautifully without being instructed how to do so.  Nor have they needed to invest thousands of hours into perfecting their craft. To me, those people are "talented".

In summary, most of these conversations about talent are kind of silly unless we establish a clear definition of what talent actually is.

Edited by Ringer84 - 11/24/2014 at 9:16pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 8:54pm
Timo Zai has been training since conception. At 7-weeks he is doing a looping motion on both sides, left and right.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 10:15pm

Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

But this is reductionist thinking: it's not X so it must be Y. What about all the other possible variables? Even simple things such as muscle types are going to make a difference. Hard work alone is not enough.

Why reduce the argument to "they had more talent"? Why not, "They had better coaching at an earlier age" or "They're working in a better national setup" or "They have better psychological profiles" or all of the above?

First, that's not what reductionist thinking means, and second and great deal of our understanding of the universe around us is based on reductionist thinking.  Again, I repeat that not everybody is the same, and certain people have body types or other sensory-motor capabilities that are particularly suited for certain sports, which doesn't mean you can't be really good if you don't have one or all of those traits.  But anyway, I enjoyed watching these kids.  And the fact is, no matter how hard we work we can't all get there.  So many other things have to be perfectly in place.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2014 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

But this is reductionist thinking: it's not X so it must be Y. What about all the other possible variables?

First, that's not what reductionist thinking means, and second and great deal of our understanding of the universe around us is based on reductionist thinking.  Again, I repeat that not everybody is the same, and certain people have body types or other sensory-motor capabilities that are particularly suited for certain sports...
Oh, Great and Mighty Baal, Lord over all things, who causes the rains to fall, the crops to bring forth their fruit, the forehand loop to win points, Thou art the one who sees all transgressions, including my incorrect use of the term "reductionist thinking". I beg Thee, O Merciful One, to forgive this unworthy servant for my haste to make a point.

This miserable worm, however, bows before your wisdom which declares that certain of us mere mortals have human frames which perform certain tasks better than others. This humble one also notes that Thou did not deign to bestow the term "talent" upon such creatures, and for this profound blessing this one remains profoundly grateful.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2014 at 1:27am
That little kid is really talented... I can not force my son who's of the same age to pick up a ping pong paddle, no matter what, even though I have several former Olympians ready to train him and have taken him to ping pong venues countless times... You do need something inborn just to wanna do it to begin with.  *BTW some posters are really talented at arguing against common sense, which also proves my point.  Wink

Edited by roundrobin - 11/25/2014 at 1:31am
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic