Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wet Ball let

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet Ball let
    Posted: 12/04/2014 at 1:03am
On the third or fourth shot of the rally, the ball just falls off my racket as I try to topspin it back.  I look at my racket  and there is a wet ball mark on it.  Not wet all over, but about the size of a dime.

Am I justified in asking for a let if I can show my opponent the wet mark on the racket?

It seems that under 9.4 I could since the ball getting wet is a disturbance of the conditions of play.

9.4.4 Because the conditions of play are disturbed in a way which could affect the outcome of the rally.

However, I also remember something about a player not getting 2 chances to play a point.  That is, the player must call for the let before striking the ball so that they do not get a chance to see how their attempt went before asking for the let.  I could not find that in the rules when I looked.  Of course with a wet ball there is no way to call for the let before striking it since you have no way of knowing it is wet until you hit it.

I vaguely remember this being discussed before, but I could not find it with the search function.

Mark

Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2014 at 6:57am
A wet ball let is an example of play being disturbed by conditions that could affect the rally. Whether the word 'let' applies or not, the point should be replayed.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2014 at 8:05am
I think if you have a umpire in a serious match you may get away with trying to call a let but then again you may not because the player you are playing may think you are trying to pull a fast one...  If it were a serve and i was serving i would say let the player have the let. If the ball dies off my bat after 4-5 shots then its a bit of a different kettle of fish. I always thought that disturbed playing 9.4.4 rule was if a ball came over, a barrier was knocked onto the court or if a player was disturbed during play by an outisde issue.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2014 at 8:09am
All you have to do is show the spot of sweat on the racket.  When a ball dies off the paddle because of sweat, it is unlike anything other than a heavy backspin serve.  If the opponent is the sweaty one, it makes no sense to give them a double reward if they served a sweaty ball.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/04/2014 at 8:09am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mahomedy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2014 at 8:18am
You are justified,but sometimes umpires dont know the rules 100%,so dont call for a replay.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic