Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jim Butler vs Kunal Chodri (2014 Nationals final)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jim Butler vs Kunal Chodri (2014 Nationals final)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jim Butler vs Kunal Chodri (2014 Nationals final)
    Posted: 12/22/2014 at 3:35pm
including all of game 7 Wink

Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 3:50pm
Getting an error - can you provide the direct link
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 3:54pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK26wPD9Z40#t=3801
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Getting an error - can you provide the direct link

I searched on Youtube and got this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK26wPD9Z40

Edit - I just noticed another posted provided the link few minutes ago.

Edited by VictorK - 12/22/2014 at 4:03pm
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 4:10pm
Thanks for the link. Kunal C. just wasn't ready to win. Got very tight after the changeover. I guess still young, hopefully will learn and improve. Congratulations to Jim Butler for the win, experience definitely paid off.

Butterfly MPS
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Thanks for the link. Kunal C. just wasn't ready to win. Got very tight after the changeover. I guess still young, hopefully will learn and improve. Congratulations to Jim Butler for the win, experience definitely paid off.

I think that there is an increasing appreciation that winning is not just about having the better technique. People who think that intangibles don't play a role in winning haven't seen enough chokers. Congrats to both Jim and Kunal for a great match which I wish I could have seen to the conclusion live.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 4:29pm
What is Jimmy using... the backhand sounds thin.

More of an control game for the most part.

At least thats what i see in this match.
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 4:47pm
yes, i think after the changeover (when the livestream went dead......)

kunal obviously was nervous and most definitely short-armed a few fh counters, which gave jimmy life

:)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 5:27pm
Thanks for posting!
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 6:08pm
Anybody know why Jim Butler had 2 different colored shoes on? And Congrats Jim Butler. Great touch and strategy, not just about the power game. Gives me hope that past our primes can win too. Wink
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

Anybody know why Jim Butler had 2 different colored shoes on?

What's strange about that - he also had 2 different colored rubbers Wink

The commentators said that this was some kind of whim or superstition.

Maybe the title will help him get a sponsor and proper clothes?

Edited by amateur - 12/22/2014 at 6:27pm
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 9:39pm
It is the deal on Amazon. You need to buy two pairs of those ASCIS volleyball shoes to get 30% off. By the way, why were they playing in such slow paces? My feeling is that they are many levels below those CNT members.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

It is the deal on Amazon. You need to buy two pairs of those ASCIS volleyball shoes to get 30% off. By the way, why were they playing in such slow paces? My feeling is that they are many levels below those CNT members.
One guy is below 15 and the other guy is over 40 - how many CNT players are in that age range?
Butterfly MPS
samgoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote samgoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 12:15am
Butlers's hair do is ....just extraordinary
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 1:04am
kunal definitely let his nerves get the better of him in the 7th, but what can you expect, he's 15
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 2:31am
Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

kunal definitely let his nerves get the better of him in the 7th, but what can you expect, he's 15

Kunal is only 15 ?   definitely fooled me

Yeah, Congrats to Jimmy Butler.  Kudos to his hardwork on the comeback trail.  Definitely paid off. He deserved it.   ClapClapClapClapClap
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
malin87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malin87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 5:40am
This is the final of all united states?
Icecream AZX,T05,Spectol21
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 6:36am
Originally posted by malin87 malin87 wrote:

Hahahahahaha....yes it is.
who no know go know
malin87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malin87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 7:59am
Originally posted by naijachief naijachief wrote:

I thought there were some Asian/American players who were better..
NBSR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NBSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 9:28am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

How do I catch this deal? I added two to the cart and yet they were regular prices.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 11:03am

Jim Butler has defeated the likes of Saive and Eloi (in their primes), among others in big events, so don't underestimate his level of talent. Wink

Edited by LOOPMEISTER - 12/23/2014 at 11:03am
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 11:05am
Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

Anybody know why Jim Butler had 2 different colored shoes on?

#Swag Tongue
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 11:13am
I asked him and he said that it was too long to explain (or likely to be worth explaining).  Maybe Baal can get the full story some time.  
Cybershape Carbon
malin87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malin87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 11:38am
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Jim Butler has defeated the likes of Saive and Eloi (in their primes), among others in big events, so don't underestimate his level of talent. Wink

what's his best world ranking in his career??
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 11:43am

No, just the playoff between the winners of U-16 and O-40. Players from other age groups defaulted / boycotted / choked / didn't care Wink

Butler's highest world ranking was around 70.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 11:44am

Don't disrespect this guy. He's had an unbelievable career, overcome some pretty serious injuries. Even now he wins when clearly you can see him cramping up a lot.

http://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-tennis/athletes/Jim-Butler
malin87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malin87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 11:59am
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Don't disrespect this guy. He's had an unbelievable career, overcome some pretty serious injuries. Even now he wins when clearly you can see him cramping up a lot.

I don't disrepect him i asked cause i didn't know about Butler's career..The particular match is low level for 320M population though...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 12:11pm

I don't disrepect him i asked cause i didn't know about Butler's career..The particular match is low level for 320M population though...

The statement is meaningless since Sweden had high level matches even when it's population was nothing compared to China and USA.  Population is not a driver of TT Talent per se.  You can express your opinion of the match without backing it up with meaningless drivel to make it sound intelligent.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/23/2014 at 12:11pm
Cybershape Carbon
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 12:11pm

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">what's his best world ranking in his career??</span>

Only 1/10 of 320M know Table Tennis (the rest only know basement Ping Pong), and 1/10 of that 1/10 are interested in serious/competitive TT.
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 12:38pm
First of all, many thanks for the veodo and link so that we can see how Jim turned it around during the second half of game 7.
Secondly, this is a huge comeback-from-retirement story/sucess. To me, its' bigger than Michael Jordan's.
Thirdly, Jim's game once again showed TT is not just about speed and power, other components such as spin, control, placement, change in pace/rhythm and variation are equally important. Jim was no longer 2750 in speed and power in the tourney. But his understanding about TT and experience served him well to win the whole thing. He was the best player for the tourney and he deserved the title more than anybody else.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic