FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Strong forehand with a backhand grip?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strong forehand with a backhand grip?
    Posted: 12/25/2014 at 6:18pm
This is a great topic to share my experiences with grips. I don't feel that grips affect the quality of your stroke as much as one thinks.

My grip is mostly (90%) backhand grip, with the minuscule 10% of the forehand grip being through smashing. I would consider this grip a neutral backhand grip, e.g. I can play strong forehands with this backhand grip (not totally backhand)

Pictures are linked to show you what I mean. Excuse my small hands; my friend always tells me I'm holding the bat wrong (!!)

My backhand/backhand-neutral grip:

A forehand grip:

Professionals such as Zhang Jike mainly use a backhand grip, but their forehands seem to be great. I also think that my forehand is just as strong, if not stronger than my backhand. I think that this backhand grip is great, and you guys shouldn't contemplate grip changing purely because it will give you more power.

For example, ZJK vs Timo Boll (skip straight to 6:00, after Liu Guoliang's face)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sswoYE028fk

This shows just how powerful a forehand one can achieve despite having a backhand grip. OK, this dude's a professional, but this is a great example of a backhand-neutral grip which allows maximum power shot without any lag, which Timo Boll suffers, due to his grip changes, and we can see from his last backhand before his missed forehand that it is almost a twitchy, reflex style backhand, rather than a solid one.

I would like to read your opinions on this topic, as even Ma Long's grip can be argued as a neutral grip, and he has (arguably) the speediest forehand there is currently.

Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2014 at 6:31pm
Kong Linghui also played that way (BH dominant grip).  It can work.  People have to do what works and what feels comfortable and there is more than one way.  Messing around with your grip is a sure route to table tennis hell until you get it sorted out.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2014 at 10:01pm
I'm no ZJK expert - but I don't think his forehand is being hit with BH grip. Especially on that 6 min mark clip - you can see him shift his grip to hit the backhand. To me it looks like he has FH & BH grips.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Tabmini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2014 at 10:51pm
ZJK also switched his grip between forehand and backhand hitting. You can see from the 1st and 2nd point in your video but with such a speed.
On the 1st point, after he pushed serving and jumped back you'll see his grip had changed.
On the 2nd point, You can see it clearly from the slow-mo when he turned around and hit his forehand.
My feedback :
mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77680&PID=959859󪕳
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2014 at 11:08pm
Pros switch grips often by moving the thumb and/or the forefinger. It's often unconscious and almost imperceptible, so one has to be very careful when stating what grips they use without close analysis. It's also relatively easy to close the blade on the forehand with a mild backhand grip. It's just harder to open the blade and play fade shots. I largely play with a backhand grip just switch to forehand/neutral when playing inside out.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
malin87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malin87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2014 at 11:07am
Also Kreanga uses the BH dominant grip and he doesn't change the grip from BH to FH.
Icecream AZX,T05,Spectol21
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2014 at 5:09pm
Kreanga moves his thumb up on BH. So there is some change.
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2014 at 9:20pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJkFz3m2bGw

If you play this video in 0.25 speed you can clearly see the difference between kreanga's BH and FH grip. 

During his bh his thumb is higher on the paddle check 3:00 to 3:08
my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
kprimorac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kprimorac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 11:45am
Switching grip between BH and FH is very diffilcult as time is very short, that's why a lot of players prefer blades with small handle, that's will allow switching from FH to BH more easier. I have tried several blades and with small handle, it's more natural to switch from FH to BH and vice versa. just my 2 cents.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic