Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Think I'm Nuts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Think I'm Nuts?
    Posted: 12/30/2014 at 10:04pm

I have been playing Tenergy's and some Nittaku rubbers for a few years now and find I lose crucial points due to the speed/spin/control of those rubbers. I found some max thickness Sriver, yes Sriver that I put on my TBS. I glued it up with 3 layers of Elmer's glue and I must say the feeling was fantastic. My loops are landing with much more accuracy with a little less speed (still fast though) and touch for short balls is much better. I don't use Elmer's for the speed glue effect but for the ease of use. A fresh sheet of Sriver is deader than a frozen horse So am I nuts for changing to this setup? 3 layers of Elmer's is gooooood!

Dan Seemiller told me it was real good.

Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2014 at 10:22pm
Winning with dead horse beats losing with thoroughbred!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
dannyreventon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyreventon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2014 at 10:58pm
I  hope you are using the Elmers rubber cement not the elmers white glue.
Main Setup:
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Neo H3 Prov 39deg
BH: Xiom Musa

Stiga Clipper Wood
FH: Neo Skyline 3
BH: Stiga Neos Sound ST

Avenger 5
FH: Neo H3
Bh: Xiom Musa

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2014 at 12:51am
I wouldn't pay the money for sriver.  I am a fan of the cheap DHS rubbers.  H2 Neo or H3 Neo are good to me.   I also like IQUL mentioned in another thread.

There is no impulse, or resulting trajectory, that T05 or other fancy rubbers can generate that these cheaper rubbers can't.

You aren't nuts for ditching Tenergy or other fancy rubbers.  You are just nuts for spending all that money on sriver.  BTW,  I think Mark V is better but I don't buy that anymore either.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2014 at 2:01am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

I wouldn't pay the money for sriver.  I am a fan of the cheap DHS rubbers.  H2 Neo or H3 Neo are good to me.   I also like IQUL mentioned in another thread.

There is no impulse, or resulting trajectory, that T05 or other fancy rubbers can generate that these cheaper rubbers can't.

You aren't nuts for ditching Tenergy or other fancy rubbers.  You are just nuts for spending all that money on sriver.  BTW,  I think Mark V is better but I don't buy that anymore either.
I am very ignorant of the prices - when I absolutely need rubber - I buy from some guys at the club. What is the price you pay for the DHS rubbers. I know the price for Sriver & Mark V are $30 (guy at the club sells them for that)

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2014 at 3:05am
I buy from colestt.com, zeropong.com or fastpaddle.com.   The highest price for H3 Neo is $22.  Fast paddle usually sells for less but then adds extra shipping charges so a lot depends on how big the order is.

A dollar here or there doesn't make that much difference to me.  I like the convince of getting what I want from one source or order,

Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

I am very ignorant of the prices - when I absolutely need rubber - I buy from some guys at the club.
Your club source probably buys in bulk form ttnpp.com or a similar source.  Considering the hassle I think you are getting a good deal.  There is one person in the Portland area that does the same thing.

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2014 at 5:01am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Winning with dead horse beats losing with thoroughbred!

Big smile Your best ever postLOL
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2014 at 5:05am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

A new Sriver vs Mark V thread. Ooooh, I luv thisBig smile!
Revival of a 50yo rivalry.
In the old days, those players who could not make up their mind simply put both rubbers on their blades.
All we need now is an Alser vs Bengtsson blade thread.
Magic and Oesthen are you ready?

Edited by Tinykin - 12/31/2014 at 5:11am
Blade:
Darker Speed90

Delusion is an asset
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2014 at 9:49am

I don't care for tacky rubbers regardless of price or brand. No we don't need another Sriver vs Mark V thread..gag a maggot.

I may pay more for Sriver but it lasts longer than your Uncle Bert.

I love Mark V too but it's 2 bucks more Sriver.

I think we need a tread like why Rondell sucks so badly.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2014 at 11:15am
How do you compare Sriver vs Renanos Hold?
Blade:
Darker Speed90

Delusion is an asset
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2014 at 11:31am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I don't care for tacky rubbers regardless of price or brand. No we don't need another Sriver vs Mark V thread..gag a maggot.

It doesn't have to be tacky, but pnatchwey is on the money about buying Mark V and Sriver.  I bought $8 Dawei Super XP 2008 from colestt.com in 2.2mm.  It was a bit heavy, but other than that, it performed at least as well and probably better than Mark V.  I played with it at a level very close to my current one.  I am sure the same can be said for Focus Snipe 3 or other reasonable 729 rubbers.  Paying the Mark V or Sriver price when cheaper traditional rubbers exist is something I cannot support, though I would probably get the Super XP in a thinner sponge for a learner just because it is that heavy (I didn't mind it at all since I play with paddles in the 180-190g range). 

I wouldn't do H3, but I have been using Big Dipper for a month now and it got me off Tenergy.  The spin and speed on loops has given me a new insight into how Chinese rubbers differ from European rubbers.  Can't speak ill of tacky rubbers anymore after trying Big Dipper.

I still consider Tenergy a special rubber though and find pnatchwey's position a little misinformed - tensioned rubbers are not the same as traditional rubbers for many reasons.  Playing styles do matter when choosing certain kinds of rubbers, even inverted ones.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/31/2014 at 11:54am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2014 at 11:48am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I still consider Tenergy a special rubber though and find pnatchwey's position a little misinformed - tensioned rubbers are not the same as traditional rubbers for many reasons.  Playing styles do matter when choosing certain kinds of rubbers, even inverted ones.

Exactly Clap
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2014 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

How do you compare Sriver vs Renanos Hold?

Renanos Hold is faster, and spinnier. It is not a very "forgiving rubber especially for service returns. Sriver has better allround control but not as powerful. Renanos Hold is an advanced rubber, I like it but takes more training time to tame.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2014 at 11:51am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

It doesn't have to be tacky, but pnatchwey is on the money.  I bought $8 Dawei Super XP 2008 from colestt.com in 2.2mm.  It was a bit heavy, but other than that, it performed at least as well and probably better than Mark V.  I played with it at a level very close to my current one.  I am sure the same can be said for Focus Snipe 3 or other reasonable 729 rubbers.  Paying the Mark V or Sriver price when cheaper traditional rubbers exist is something I cannot support. 

I wouldn't do H3, but I have been using Big Dipper for a month now and it got me off Tenergy.  The spin and speed on loops has given me a new insight into how Chinese rubbers differ from European rubbers.  Can't speak ill of tacky rubbers anymore after trying Big Dipper.

Thanks for insightful knowledge. I will call Cole to get his feedback. :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2014 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by dannyreventon dannyreventon wrote:

I  hope you are using the Elmers rubber cement not the elmers white glue.

I am using Elmer's Rubber Cemment. Less than 3 bucks a bottle. Best glue since sliced bread.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2014 at 7:51pm
Even though elmers is a weak speed glue compared to some of the old speed glues, it's still a lot stronger than tuner.  I'm sure if you glued it up and played with sriver still wet, it probably did play a lot better than tenergy.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2015 at 3:40am
If you find solvent thinner, you can homebrew your own speed glue : )

Not as strong as conventional speed glues, but still really nice to play with. x2 Mendo speed glued up on a Clipper is a perfect combo for me
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2015 at 11:54am

Ya speed glued Sriver is wicked fast but I'm not after that kind of speed glue feel. I have found that that several layers of Elmer's 6-7 layers classic rubbers take on a different feel. They are faster by 5% and almost feel like a lightly tuned tensor. Ball impact is much nicer. Since I am more a controlled looper this suits my game very well. Plenty fast since I rarely play far from the table. I have one sheet of old Mark V Max that has at least 12 layers of old glue on it.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic