FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Video: 1997 Waldner - Wang Liqin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video: 1997 Waldner - Wang Liqin
    Posted: 01/21/2015 at 10:39am
1997 Japan Open Finals aired on NBC! Biased commentary (in favor of JOW) but a good watch:

One legend about to bloom vs another at the peak of his powers and popularity.

This is probably WLQ's 1st or 2nd tour final appearance & he seems to be in total awe of JOW (especially in the 1st set). Big learning experience for him in the serve-receive area in this match! JOW almost seems to be a bit less motivated from the 2nd set on.

Another observation: 'The shot that owned a decade' hadn't developed in WLQ's game yet at that time - he does have some good FH topspin points but his FH does not seem as efficient as it shall later become. It is also clear that his BH has not developed as much yet and JOW gets many points by sending the ball there.

Sponsored Links

in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 11:30am
one of coolest things i'd ever seen was the CNT (xiong ke, liu guoliang, wang tao, lu lin, kong linghui, ma wenge) lining up at the 97 worlds to blast at this tall thin kid - who turned out to be WLQ

i think WLQ the unknown (17?) ended up getting quite a few scalps before losing to samsonov in the 16s?

:)
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

i think WLQ the unknown (17?) ended up getting quite a few scalps before losing to samsonov in the 16s?

Philip Saive, Jorgen Persson ( a great match, down to the wire) and Carl Prean, FYI.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 4:30pm
That pair of 回力(Warrior) shoes!  I remember WLQ lost to Samsonov 3-1 in the final at the Grand Finals in HK that year.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2015 at 5:08pm
yup

and i think prean took out yoo nam kyu

zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

yup

and i think prean took out yoo nam kyu

Correct, 3-1. 
 Most amazing result was Karakasevic beating Liu Guoliang. Liu was powerless by the end, never beaten so badly before or since.
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 6:52pm
Don't know how many times I have seen this match! I loved Waldner back then. I miss playing to 21 Smile
HappyHarry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyHarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 7:08pm
J-O at his best! Lovely Video.
JigglyPuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JigglyPuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 8:04pm
so it seems like the american commentator can for some reason pronounce Waldner's name within a reasonable Swedish pronunciation but WLQ's name gets butchered...

for those that care, you should pronounce "wong lee-chin"
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 9:35pm
1. It is good to see an old match of JOW when he was at his best.
2. Nobody choed back then. When did players start to cho?
3. The price money was low and facility was not good when pro tour just started.
4. Love sound of speed glue, and some of the shots that could only be done with it.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 9:44pm
5. It was broadcasted by NBC! Unbelievable!
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2015 at 9:57pm
yes that match was not in the stadium

I watched it from the top row of the stadium

karakasevic simply had the rhythm that match

another crazy good match was ma wenge vs kreanga

seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2015 at 1:16pm
It is impressive how many points Waldner won just with serve. No wonder the rules were changed.
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2015 at 4:50pm
Very weird that Waldner was allowed to play with a white shirt when playing with white ball.
I thought it was forbidden at that time.
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 5:06am
They're playing on a blue table with orange ball, so no problem with wearing white

Edit: so it seems it's blue table but white ball? I noticed some colours look strange. Maybe JO's shirt is not actually white?

Edited by Olio - 01/25/2015 at 5:09am
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Olio Olio wrote:

They're playing on a blue table with orange ball, so no problem with wearing white

Edit: so it seems it's blue table but white ball? I noticed some colours look strange. Maybe JO's shirt is not actually white?

Orange ball didn't exist in 1997 and Waldner's shirt really seemed to be white.
kuifje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuifje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 10:31am
Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

Orange ball didn't exist in 1997 and Waldner's shirt really seemed to be white.

Not sure when they were introduced, but orange balls were already around in the 70s. Here's a link to an old Stiga magazine (from 1979 I believe) showing them. 

http://oldstiga.com/c/stiga_12sidor.pdf

In the Waldner -WLQ match - from a distance the ball looks white, but the shots closer up show that it was a yellow ball that was used in the match.

Edited by kuifje - 01/25/2015 at 10:32am
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 11:05am
I really didn't know orange balls already existed in the seventies !!!

I remember very well that only white balls where used in the tournaments in Belgium in the eighties, nineties and also everywhere in the champions league matches in Europe.....
When orange balls arrived in the early 2000 in the Belgian competition, I remember very well I had some difficulties to adapt at that time after having played 20 years with white balls. Another stupid invention for nothing.....
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 11:48am

I remember very well that only white balls where used in the tournaments in Belgium in the eighties, nineties and also everywhere in the champions league matches in Europe.....
When orange balls arrived in the early 2000 in the Belgian competition, I remember very well I had some difficulties to adapt at that time after having played 20 years with white balls. Another stupid invention for nothing.....

It is easy to call something stupid when you have never asked serious questions about it.

There are clubs where the background makes white hard to see, but orange easier.

Someone once posted here that he knows someone who is dyslexic and can't play with white balls, but can play with orange balls.

So I hope you understand that while it was stupid for you, it was very helpful to a lot of people.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 11:58am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

It is easy to call something stupid when you have never asked serious questions about it.

There are clubs where the background makes white hard to see, but orange easier.

Someone once posted here that he knows someone who is dyslexic and can't play with white balls, but can play with orange balls.

So I hope you understand that while it was stupid for you, it was very helpful to a lot of people.

Maybe but I table tennis was invented with white balls, basket ball with orange ball.....
It is maybe conservative but it the color of the wall is a problem then....paint the wall with another color !
Also, you are 10000 % wrong when you think I haven't thought about it.
I know much more people (from little Belgian leagues till super division )who were annoyed by these orange balls than with whites ones.
You can't deny that it has become very rare to see international matches or even big national matches in Europe with orange balls....i guess it is not for nothing.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 12:20pm
They are half orange half white now in cttsl
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2015 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

They are half orange half white now in cttsl

Just an unsuccessful 1 shot :((( the players were lost.
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 4:00am
Kakapo,

Orange balls have been around for a long time, and were very common in the 90s.

I played in France then, where many clubs bought blue tables, and played with orange balls on them.

Maybe Belgium was a bit behind on this...

As for the "stupid invention", if you want to play with the original colour, would you now play football with a brown ball? And as NL explained, there are many potential benefits of playing with orange balls. This also includes NOT having to paint the room you're playing in, when it doesn't belong to the club and isn't a permanent TT place.

Edited by Olio - 01/26/2015 at 4:08am
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 7:09am

Kakapo,

Orange balls have been around for a long time, and were very common in the 90s.

I played in France then, where many clubs bought blue tables, and played with orange balls on them.

Maybe Belgium was a bit behind on this...

As for the "stupid invention", if you want to play with the original colour, would you now play football with a brown ball? And as NL explained, there are many potential benefits of playing with orange balls. This also includes NOT having to paint the room you're playing in, when it doesn't belong to the club and isn't a permanent TT place.

Yes, Belgium was probably "behind" at this period but.......
Currently, wathever green or blue tables....show me one tournament where orange balls are used ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic