FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tournament balls in Tx

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tournament balls in Tx
    Posted: 01/24/2015 at 6:32pm
Buying new club balls soon.  Would like to know what balls various clubs in Tx will be using for their tournaments in 2015

Mark
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2015 at 6:33pm
At HTTA we will use XSF.  Our tournaments are never sanctioned.  At Texas training center also in Houston they seem to be sticking with celluloid -- certainly for the next tournament they will have.
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 12:03pm
Austin TTC is using a variety of plastic balls (you have to bring your own balls);  For their tournament last weekend they used Nittaku 40+ Premiums.  I'm trying to get the clubs in the RGV to use plastic- so far only the university players and a few regular club members have taken on to them.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 1:12pm
Went ahead and ordered Yinhe balls for regular club play.  We will also get some Nittaku 40+ premium and set them aside for guys training for upcoming tournament that will use those.

Mark
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 2:07pm
Mark, Yinhe/XSF is a pretty good ball to use to train for tournaments with NP40+.  They share much the same bounce.  I would suggest a day or two before to switch to NP40+.  I can get used to the switch from one to the other in about 20 min, but just to be sure give it a day or two.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Mark, Yinhe/XSF is a pretty good ball to use to train for tournaments with NP40+.  They share much the same bounce.  I would suggest a day or two before to switch to NP40+.  I can get used to the switch from one to the other in about 20 min, but just to be sure give it a day or two.

I learned the hard way last Saturday at our weekly RR tournament that there's enough difference between the XSF and NP40+ balls to severely affect my timing when big things are at stake.  Right after I played 3 matches with the XSF, I played the next match with NP40+ at my opponent's insistence and almost lost it.  The ball was coming to me noticeably slower and shorter, enough so that I had to move forward more to add speed to the ball, but even then the ball traveled slower than I'd have liked.  My opponent was able to repeatedly attack my blocks with full power due to NP40+'s slower speed.  I played my next semifinal match, and the final with the XSF ball and everything (speed, bounce) felt normal again.  Next time I'd make my case to stick to the XSF ball for the entire tournament for sure.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

I learned the hard way last Saturday at our weekly RR tournament that there's enough difference between the XSF and NP40+ balls to severely affect my timing when big things are at stake.  Right after I played 3 matches with the XSF, I played the next match with NP40+ at my opponent's insistence and almost lost it.  The ball was coming to me noticeably slower and shorter, enough so that I had to move forward more to add speed to the ball, but even then the ball traveled slower than I'd have liked. 

I did some pretty good bounce tests on some plastic balls and the result was that NP40+ bounce pretty much the same as celluloid,  XSF bounce a bit more - right at the ITTF upper limit of an allowable bounce.  DHS and variants bounce clearly lower than celluloid and NP40+ and a lot lower than XSF.

Nothing new, here really.  So it makes sense that NP40+ balls would play slower and shorter.

Note:  I tested two celluloid balls.  DHS 3* and Gamber Platinum 3*.  The bounce of both balls were very similar.  I'll test more celluloid balls, but for now this sample of two types suggests that bounce variation between different brand/makes of celluloid balls is smaller than between different brand/makes of plastic.

Edited by wturber - 01/26/2015 at 4:00pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 4:04pm
That the celluloid variance is lower hardly needs testing. That one can adjust between XSF and Nittaku doesn't mean that the balls don't play differently enough for someone to be affected by a switch from one to the other in the midst of competitive play. They definitely do. Nittaku is a bit slower, IMO.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

That the celluloid variance is lower hardly needs testing. That one can adjust between XSF and Nittaku doesn't mean that the balls don't play differently enough for someone to be affected by a switch from one to the other in the midst of competitive play. They definitely do. Nittaku is a bit slower, IMO.

Right.  My point was/is that empirical testing supports that I'd expect an adjustment between the NP40+ and XSF that would be more significant than I'd expect from switching between two different brands of celluloid balls.  The difference between DHS and XSF is even greater.

I would like to test a few more celluloid balls given my small sample size of two brands.  But I don't expect much variance.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 5:19pm
Other day hit with 3XSF and 3 NP+ at same time.  When both close to table not noticeable diff.  When both backed off table the diff described really showed up.  Always having to come forward and reach down to hit the NP+.  With NP+ felt I could hit full out without hitting long.  Had to ease up just a little or really make sure to spin it with the XSF.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic