FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Upgradinig Yasaka Clicky Press

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
superloop View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgradinig Yasaka Clicky Press
    Posted: 06/23/2006 at 12:38am

Hello...Does anybody use the Clicky Press?  I have been using it when I speed glue and it seems to give a better bond than not using a press.  The problem that I ran into was that my new Darker Tanpan 9mm thick single-ply Hinoki shakehand blade would barely fit into the press with two 2.1mm rubbers attached.  I had to special order some longer metric carriage bolts to replace the 5 original bolts.  I only needed 5 new bolts but the minimum order was 100 at $0.40 each plus tax.  I spent over $40 to upgrade my press for my new Tanpan blade.  Now, it does work well though. 

I now have 95 extra bolts.  If anybody wants or needs some of the longer bolts, let me know...I can send you 5 bolts for $1 each plus shipping.

superloop

Sponsored Links

Shalashashka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shalashashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2006 at 7:19am
$40, is this even possible? I made my own clicky press using two scrap pieces of plywood lying around my house (free) and a couple bolts and wing nuts I got at the hardware store. Total cost no more than $5. You should've just custom made one.
Extra Rorin.
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2006 at 7:49am
my clicky press is volumes 10-23 of the encyclopedia britannica
Indonesia5000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indonesia5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2006 at 8:49am
Yea. I use a book with two 5 pound weights then another book with two 5 pound weights on it. works great
blade:Yasaka Gatien Extra, Gatien Carbon cpen
FH: Globe999 on dhs #20 BH: SST Cross
Sabito View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2006 at 2:02pm
the clicky press has a big problem in the center of the blade when making pressure, even though its very hard and stiff it will bend a bit which will leave the center without much pressure, so I do like persson after the clicky press, I sit on the blade, obviously leaving the handle out of the seat or whatver im sitting on not to ruin it, and is an ass' job. the feeling you get is amazingly different, when using a korbel the vibration will harm your hand.
Shalashashka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shalashashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2006 at 5:41pm
Thats very true so sometimes I will screw on some C-clamps putting pressure to the center of my press.
Extra Rorin.
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2006 at 6:39pm
Also long wood clamps work well with 2 pieces of wood.

I found some at the local 99 cents store for 99 cents. THey come in small, medium and large sizes.

Also, I wouldn't over tighten a Clicky press. If you do use the wood clamps in the middle and loosen the botttom clamps near the bottom so it doesn't bow. This way the pressure is more even.
Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2006 at 7:03pm

Originally posted by Sabito Sabito wrote:

the clicky press has a big problem in the center of the blade when making pressure, even though its very hard and stiff it will bend a bit which will leave the center without much pressure, so I do like persson after the clicky press, I sit on the blade, obviously leaving the handle out of the seat or whatver im sitting on not to ruin it, and is an ass' job. the feeling you get is amazingly different, when using a korbel the vibration will harm your hand.

yea, i've done that before but then my rear started to itch for some reason.

BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2006 at 2:56pm
My less than $5 USD solution: a few hex bolts, washers, and wing nuts. And voil�! A homemade Clicky Press.

CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2006 at 3:33pm

Great stuff.  All I need is the Wingnuts.

Also, I was wondering why you didn't put any bolts/wingnuts towards the bottom near the handle?

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2006 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by SDRamones SDRamones wrote:

Great stuff. All I need is the Wingnuts.

Also, I was wondering why you didn't put any bolts/wingnuts towards the bottom near the handle?

I could. For the shakehand blade, I need to have the bottom two bolts moved up, otherwise I can't slide the racket out easily. When I glue my Jpen I do use the lower bottom two because the sqaure Jpen blades are narrower and can slide out without getting stuck.
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2006 at 4:04pm
I'm trying to get ideas for when I make mines.  Thanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2006 at 4:51pm

I'm trying to get ideas for when I make mines. Thanks

I forgot to mention that my Clicky is 7" x 8.5" x 3/4". I'd recommend getting either poplar or maple. If you can't get scrap wood boards somewhere, you can always get it in Lowe's or Home Depot. They carry 8" x (1' or 2') x 1". They will cut it for you. If you use the 1" board, then you should use bolts that are at least 3" tall.

If you use anything less than 3/4" in thickness, then make sure you use something denser/stronger like maple or so.

Good luck!
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2006 at 4:55pm

thanks for the advice.  I was just thinking about that.  I wasn't sure what type of wood to use.  I will probably want to go with the Maple.

Did you varnish or stain the tops?  It seems darker.

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2006 at 5:02pm

thanks for the advice. I was just thinking about that. I wasn't sure what type of wood to use. I will probably want to go with the Maple.

Did you varnish or stain the tops? It seems darker.

Yes I was doing several experiments at once. I am using those boards to test out the polyurethane, sanding sealer and shellac to figure out which one is the best for sealing blades.
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2006 at 5:04pm

Wasn't shellac kinf of too thick?  How were the others? 

Poly's good and comes in spray so you can make a really light coat, but I don't have any experience with the other stuff.

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2006 at 6:30pm
You are right. I found both shellac and PU are thick (at least the one that I used), so you need to sand it down a bit once it's fully fried. Sanding sealer is much better I think, but I am leaning towards shellac because it's organic.
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2006 at 6:41pm

Does Shellac and Sealer come in SPRAY?  For me it is easier to get a light caot with Spray vs paint brushing it on.

Also, what is Shellac made out of?  I didn't know it was organic.

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2006 at 10:38pm

Does Shellac and Sealer come in SPRAY?� For me it is easier to get a light caot with Spray vs paint brushing it on.

Also, what is Shellac made out of?� I didn't know it was organic.

I used a brush because I thought the sealant could be applied more evenly onto the blade. Next time, I will try the spray form. I believe shallac is dervied from secretions of lac beetle. The smell is quite strong. I had to set the blade aside for a few days after varnishing it, otherwise it would have stunk up my gym bag very badly.
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
superloop View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2006 at 10:43pm

Hello Sean and GenomicsKnight...There are a couple of people at my club that have made their own Clicky-type press just like you said above.  I originally decided to pay the $24 or so for the actual Clicky Press.

The Schlager Carbon that I was using is about 7.4mm thick and with two 2.1mm rubbers, it would fit into the press easily.  When I got my new Darker Tanpan single-ply Hinoki blade it was 9mm thick.  With the press fully open, my new blade would barely fit into my Clicky Press.

I figured out that the original bolts on the Clicky press were metric carriage bolts (M6 by 40mm).  Above, GenonomicsKnight talks about using Hex bolts but these don't work as well. Carriage bolts are different in that they have a square part at the head of the bolt.  The holes in the bottom of the Clicky press are square and the square part of the carriage bolt keeps the bottom of the bolt from turning when you tighten the nut on the top.  Hex bolts do not provide this function.

In the US, you can find english carriage bolts at the local hardware store but metric carriage bolts are very hard to find.   I needed some bolts that were 10mm longer.  I had to special order these bolts but the minimum order was 100 bolts.  This cost me over $40 for the new bolts.

In my original post, I was asking if there was anybody that already had a Clicky Press that could use the longer bolts.  Since I have 95 extra, I was willing to help them out by selling them the new bolts basically for cost.  Therefore, they wouldn't have to buy 100 bolts when they only need 5 like I did.

superloop

PS - sorry for such long posts...once I get typing, I can't stop.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2006 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by superloop superloop wrote:

Hello Sean and GenomicsKnight...There are a couple of people at my club that have made their own Clicky-type press just like you said above.� I originally decided to pay the $24 or so for the actual Clicky Press.

The Schlager Carbon that I was using�is about 7.4mm thick and with two 2.1mm rubbers, it would fit into the press easily.� When�I got my new Darker Tanpan�single-ply Hinoki blade it was 9mm thick.� With the press fully open, my new blade�would barely fit into my Clicky Press.

I figured out that the original bolts on the Clicky press were metric carriage bolts (M6 by 40mm).��Above, GenonomicsKnight talks about using Hex bolts but these don't work as well. Carriage bolts are different in that�they have a square part at the head of the bolt.� The holes in the bottom of the Clicky press are square and the square part of the carriage bolt keeps the bottom of the bolt from turning when you tighten the nut on the top.� Hex bolts do not�provide this function.

In the US, you can find english carriage bolts at the local hardware store but metric carriage bolts are very hard to find.�� I needed some bolts that were 10mm longer.� I had to special order these bolts but the minimum order was 100 bolts.� This cost me over $40 for the new bolts.

In my original post, I was asking if there was anybody that already had a Clicky Press that could use the longer bolts.� Since I have 95 extra, I was willing to help them out by selling them the new bolts basically for cost.� Therefore, they wouldn't have to buy 100 bolts when they only need 5 like I did.

superloop

PS - sorry for such long posts...once I get typing, I can't stop.

Hi superloop,

Sorry for hijacking your thread and led to some discussion with Sean that is unrelated to your original post. My bad.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I did a lot of research before constructing my own ClickyPress. I guessed that Yasaka must have used some special bolts or washers, so the bolts will not turn idly as you try to tighten it up.

Anyway the main reason I didn't buy a ClickyPress and opted to make my own was I concluded that the boards they used might bend and will not apply the pressure evenly. Also I was bored and wanted to do some wood project

Cheers!
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2006 at 12:40am
Originally posted by superloop superloop wrote:

Hello...Does anybody use the Clicky Press?  I have been using it when I speed glue and it seems to give a better bond than not using a press.  The problem that I ran into was that my new Darker Tanpan 9mm thick single-ply Hinoki shakehand blade would barely fit into the press with two 2.1mm rubbers attached.  I had to special order some longer metric carriage bolts to replace the 5 original bolts.  I only needed 5 new bolts but the minimum order was 100 at $0.40 each plus tax.  I spent over $40 to upgrade my press for my new Tanpan blade.  Now, it does work well though. 

I now have 95 extra bolts.  If anybody wants or needs some of the longer bolts, let me know...I can send you 5 bolts for $1 each plus shipping.

superloop

How many for $5USD?  10USD?

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
superloop View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2006 at 1:08am

Hello Sean...It doesn't really matter to me.  I have already upgraded my Clicky press and I still have 95 extra bolts.  The bolts cost me $0.40 each plus tax.  I originally said that I would sell them for $1 each.  It is not like I am trying to make big bucks off the deal.  I just thought that it might help somebody else out that needs or wants the longer bolts that fit the Clicky Press.  If nobody wants them, I guess that I am stuck with a bunch of extras.

It takes a set of 5 bolts for each press.  $5 for 5 bolts.  $10 for 10 bolts. (plus postage).

If this seems unreasonable, we can discuss the price.  Also, if you wanted a larger amount (like 40 or more), the unit price would be closer to $0.50 each.

superloop

PS - Sean...did you get my message with my e-mail address?  You were going to send me a list of blades that you have for sale.

SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2006 at 1:16am

Email me again.  My spam filter might have gotten it.  Sorry.  Hotmail sucks.

SO 40 @ $20.00 shipped?

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
superloop View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2006 at 1:24am

To Genomics Knight...No problem about hijacking the thread.  These threads often take off in an unkown direction.  That is what makes them fun.  I guess that I was surprised that nobody took me up on my original offer.  I just wanted to explain my offer again and see if anybody would respond.  If somebody wants some of the bolts, the price isn't really that important to me.  I just wanted to offer to help some other people out.

As far as building your own press...I know at least 2 people who have done this.  I know that it isn't that difficult but I guess that I am too lazy.  Plus, who else would spend $40 on top of the original $24 just so the press will open wider.

The wood on the Clicky Press seems pretty stiff.  Do you think or have other people said that it doesn't provide even pressure at the center?  To me, my regluing has been alot more consistent since I got the press.  When I used to do it without a press, I would get about 1 out of 5 bad glue jobs that had to be redone.

superloop

superloop View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2006 at 1:30am

To Sean...40 for $20 seems OK but I am not sure about the shipping.  Let me get out my postal scale and see how much 40 bolts weigh.  I will get back to you.

superloop

SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2006 at 1:33am

Cool thanks.

Just trying to figure out if it is worth buying from you or going to my local hardware and ordering there.

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2006 at 1:36am

Email me again.  I emailed myself but forgot to put you in the TO section.

My bad.

Will resend the email when I get yours.= again.

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
superloop View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2006 at 2:00am

To Sean...I weighed 40 bolts and it weighed 1 lb 2 oz.

What is your zip code to calculate postage?  I chose LA to see what the postage would be.  Parcel Post was almost $5.  Would you spend $25 on 40 bolts?

If you are going to build your own press or presses, I do suggest that you use carriage bolts like the ones on the Clicky press.  The fact that the head of the bolts doesn't twist when you are tightening the nut is a good feature.

I am more than happy to sell you some of my bolts but if you are just going to build your own press, you should use English carriage bolts instead of metric.  You can find English carriage bolts at the local hardware store.  If I remember right, I think that the English carriage bolts were like $0.18 each.

The carriage bolts that I wanted were metric to exacly replace the ones on the Clicky Press (Yasaka = Japan = metric).  I had to go to a metric store and special order them.  That is why they were $0.40 each also why I had to order a minimum of 100 bolts.

I only suggest buying the bolts from me if you are going to use them on a Clicky Press that you already own.  Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.  You will not hurt my feelings if you decide that you don't need/want any of my bolts.

superloop

SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2006 at 2:04am

THat's cool I'll let you know.  How many I need.

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic