Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which plastic ball has your club changed to?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which plastic ball has your club changed to?
    Posted: 01/26/2015 at 1:54am
For those players who's club has changed to plastic balls, which brand ball have you changed to?

I believe none of our local clubs have made a decision yet.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Sponsored Links

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 2:59am
Three of our local clubs have switched to XSF balls...they are simply the closest thing to old celluloid balls. Also, its durability is tops as long as you don't hit it with the edge of the blade. One of our players has been using the same ball six days a week for over a month!

Edited by roundrobin - 01/26/2015 at 3:38am
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 3:15am
Three of the local clubs in my area are not using the new plastic ball yet. There has been some play with them but not much.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 8:29am
At our club some players are playing with plastic while most are still using celluloid.  There's a mix of plastic.  I've been using the YinHe ball, someone else uses the Nittaku SHA, and someone yesterday had a Joola.  Yesterday was the first time I played with the Joola and it was either old or just shiny to start with.  The grip was definitely different.  It definitely took some getting used to.
I've received very few complaints about the YinHe ball.  Everyone seems to say it's easier to keep on the table, they just don't like the sound.  Interestingly enough, someone thought it was faster because during warmup they said they never play that fast during warmup - I think it was more about consistency.  Of course other people noticed it was slower.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 10:21am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Three of our local clubs have switched to XSF balls...they are simply the closest thing to old celluloid balls. Also, its durability is tops as long as you don't hit it with the edge of the blade. One of our players has been using the same ball six days a week for over a month!

Nittaku Premium and XSF here.  Mostly XSF since I gave a bunch away and everybody likes them (this is among people who regularly play tournaments).  People who don't compete generally still use celluloid. 
atomant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 10:28am
Over here, only the academies run by STTA using DHS plastic ball. As for the rest, still the old ball.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 11:13am
Three of the 5  local East Bay clubs all continue to use the 40C and two clubs that train juniors  use the 40C but switch to a 40+for two week prior to major tournaments for training purposes then return to the 40C after the tournament.  Very little interest in the new ball beyond the few players that regularly attend sanctioned USATT tournaments.

Edited by lineup32 - 01/26/2015 at 11:14am
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 1:01pm
At our club the tournaments are now using the crappy Nittaku SHA 40+. But for daily use, the players that have switched to plastic are mostly using the XSF / Yinhe seamless ball, with a few who went to Nationals using the Nittaku 40+ Japan Premium.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 1:21pm
We are getting Yinhe balls for regular club play.  Club will also get some Nittaku 40+ premiums and have them available for players training for a tournament using those.  Still have Gambler 3 star left.  When those are gone will have to decide on plastic only or mixed club balls.

Mark
gtx634 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtx634 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 3:57pm
Our club uses Tibhar 40+ . It's a bad quality.We break at least 3 balls within 2 hours daily.
My Feedback
BTY joo Se Hyuk
FH:Vega Europe
BH:Grass D.Tecs
-
Stiga Allround Bengston
FH:Phantom 008
BH:Tackiness D
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 4:11pm
I have helped make the XSF ball dominant at my club, but people still use anything from DHS to DFish to Stigma to Tibhar until the next tournament which determines what we will use. We were practicing with XSF for Westchester then one of the youths got injured so we had to cancel the trip.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 7:19pm
Thanks for all the responses guys!

I'm surprised some use the Nittaku Premiums... I thought that they would be too expensive for most clubs. For most of our local clubs the cost is a major consideration, and since the plastic balls are more expensive as well as less durable, the cost will have a much greater impact.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2015 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I'm surprised some use the Nittaku Premiums... I thought that they would be too expensive for most clubs. For most of our local clubs the cost is a major consideration, and since the plastic balls are more expensive as well as less durable, the cost will have a much greater impact.

If you factor in durability, NP40+ balls are probably second least expensive.  XSF would be the least expensive.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 5:59am
nittaku sha 40+ and dhs 40+. uses as practice multiple ball so wont have that much cracks.
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 8:06am
My club has a batch of Donic balls, which is the first and only plastic ball that I have played with (I have been out injured for a long time).

I must say I found it to be total rubbish with an inconsistent bounce on the table and an inconsistent reaction off the bat.

I am looking forward to trying the XSF ball because while I can live with a bit less spin and speed (although I can see why some e.g. APW may regard it as "dumbing down" the game), I cannot live with the inconsistency of this ball. Also, a new ball broke almost in half after maybe an hour of practice and some games.
FlatHitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlatHitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 9:44am
Our club is using the JOOLA and doublefish balls, have also used the nittaku balls, the nittaku feels a little thicker skined that the other two, I like the joola balls...
If your phone is'nt ringing, it's probably me...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 10:34am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Our club only supplies balls for tournaments but even so I have gotten people to switch to XSF because they actually like them better.
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 2:52pm
Our small club is mostly still using cell balls.

The poly balls have been joola, dhs, nittaku sha and someone had a couple premiums to use.

I brought in the Yinhes and all players that were hitting with poly are changing to the yinhe/xsf.

I snuck in the yinhe in a few matches without telling the other players that use cell. They didnt much notice until they wondered why I wanted to use white ball instead of orange. Then I told them its the new seamless ball and they just played out the match and went back to the cell as thats what they own.

Asked if they would switch..they said they have loads of cell balls..so dint see the need, but would play with either one without hesitation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic