Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's happening with Stiga blades quality?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 4:34pm
There are stiga blades that are made in china like the stiga activ and the s-series but these are low end blades
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 4:38pm
> You obvious doesn't know what you are talking about. All stiga blades are made in sweden, even the ones that are sold in China. And that is a fact.

That's what I was told about the origin of the non-shitty ones seen in china. Surely if you're so aware of the details you can explain what Stiga is pulling here.

Edited by AgentHEX - 01/29/2015 at 4:40pm
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 4:41pm
I had two Stiga Offensive WRBs that chipped really easily, and also had flakes falling off when rubbers were removed.  That said, nothing is worse than some Butterfly blades like Mat Pro Special, Retriever and Defense II.  It's nearly impossible to peel off rubbers attached to them with VOC-free glues without removing many fine strips of wood that ran the entire length of the blade.  I never seal any of my blades, and never had any problem like this with Deplay Senso, JSH, Firewall Plus, Diode, Mat Pro regular (all wood version), Nittaku Vioncello, Bulldozer, Yinhe LQ-1, or any one-ply Hinoki penhold blades.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

rocketscientist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketscientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

> You obvious doesn't know what you are talking about. All stiga blades are made in sweden, even the ones that are sold in China. And that is a fact.

That's what I was told about the origin of the non-shitty ones seen in china. Surely if you're so aware of the details you can explain what Stiga is pulling here.

I didn't say I was aware, I just know that all blades shitty or non-shitty is made by the same factory in Sweden. What do you mean by "what stiga is pulling here"?
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 4:53pm
There are stiga cc's and such in china which are obviously not of the same quality as those available in the US. I was told the good ones are made in china, which is hilarious given the lengths chinese folk in china go to buy imported products and avoid domestic.

What makes you so sure this is wrong given that stiga does indeed have blades made in china?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketscientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 4:58pm

There are stiga cc's and such in china which are obviously not of the same quality as those available in the US. I was told the good ones are made in china, which is hilarious given the lengths chinese folk in china go to buy imported products and avoid domestic.

What makes you so sure this is wrong given that stiga does indeed have blades made in china?

Just look at the cartons in China. It says "made in sweden". Also, the "blades" made in China you are referring to is some of the pre-glued rackets. Not high quality blades which you glue on the rubber yourself. 
DrBacterius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBacterius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

this blade looks perfect to me.

ShockedShockedShocked Strange perception about a 'perfect blade'...

Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

The only chips are at the contact points where you hit the table and destroyed the edge.

I'm sorry, they are no contact points... Inredible your hawkeye Wink...

Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

Drbakterius is just right!Stiga has poor quality in all its blades.They just did something different from the hardwood series and on, but still it is poor.I took a chinese national's team rosewood 5 before it came out the market (samples where made before marketing for testing by CNT)...After the first rubber removing, some grains where pealed off, on my rubber.Thank God I am watchmaker and I have tiny tools and super glues and fixed it.The same thing I saw in a relative post from a player whose emerald pealed off too excactly like my rosewood.Maybe they've put some quality definately, but not enough to make perfect blades such as bty or nittaku.Most of the people in this thread who are saying that DrBakterius is wrong, then they look only the "outer package".They see the new metal labels and the better finish in the newer blades.Many times happened to all of us to buy something from how it looks and after the usage we see its disadvantages.

+1 Thumbs Up

Nobody talking about unstucked veneers... nobody talking about PingPongHolic10 post... I cannot see solid arguments to those who defened the 'superb craftmanship' of Stiga. IMO I don't agree.

I've read about 'tricks', acetone, coating around the edges...
I'm sorry, I'm talking about BRAND NEW blades. Only reasonable trick I can accept with brand new blades is some kind of Barnish as 'Doraemon' said (not barnished in that case).

As I told at the beggining of this post, I'm talking about facts... not premade ideas in my head as others do...Wink

Edited by DrBacterius - 01/29/2015 at 5:03pm
OSP Virtuoso
T8O Max / Ventus Spin 1.8

My Feedback
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:04pm
So this is something you're keenly aware of to the degree that you've checked the cartons, but couldn't be bothered to inquire into the quality diff...

In any case it's inconsequential to the point there are <$100 stigas in china which aren't shitty.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketscientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:07pm

So this is something you're keenly aware of to the degree that you've checked the cartons, but couldn't be bothered to inquire into the quality diff...

In any case it's inconsequential to the point there are <$100 stigas in china which aren't shitty.

We were not discussing the quality. 

You thought that some of the high end stiga blades are produced in China but I just informed you that all the blades are made in Sweden. That was the only thing we were talking about.

Don't know exactly what you mean by this last post.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:13pm
Ok, so you had no idea what these better stigas available in china referred to, yet choose to lead with "You obvious doesn't know what you are talking about."

Quite amusing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketscientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:24pm

Ok, so you had no idea what these better stigas available in china referred to, yet choose to lead with "You obvious doesn't know what you are talking about."

Quite amusing.

I understand what you think it means. But I have not seen any proof of blades in China being of higher quality than any other place. I know many people that plays with stiga blades outside China and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of their blades. 
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:31pm
I suppose they had to do something when their products are worse than the fakes on taobao. Apparently folks elsewhere just couldn't tell the difference without a point of comparison.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketscientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:38pm

I suppose they had to do something when their products are worse than the fakes on taobao. Apparently folks elsewhere just couldn't tell the difference without a point of comparison.

Well, I think that is a matter of opinion. I see that you play with Palio so my opinion is that you don't know the first thing about table tennis. Bad mouthing stiga who is known to be one of the best blade manufacturer in table tennis history is to me very strange. It would practically be the same as saying that Tenergy is the worst rubber ever. Just wrong. 
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 6:17pm
This is so funny, but to toss out a bone the best OX player in the world used Palio 531.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 6:25pm

This is so funny, but to toss out a bone the best OX player in the world used Palio 531.

You are so far from that player's level it's not even funny at all.  FACT.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 6:46pm
What a cruel world we live in that the easily upset have power over the righteous.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 6:48pm
We are seeing some ad persona attacks here... 
I don't know much, but about a year ago from a reputable US seller I ordered a new (at that time) Stiga blade model (ca. USD 80), and had to return it right away due to a really short handle and bad finish quality (half-dry patchy lacquer job,  lots of rough edges). 
I am of the impression that Stiga finds appreciation in China, though...

Edited by JacekGM - 01/29/2015 at 6:57pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 4:25am
My personal experience is that it can happen to any blade.
This top ply ripping similar to DrBacterius case happened recently with my Butterfly Kiso Hinoki V and Butterfly Michael Maze OFF.
It didn't happen with my Galaxy K-4 neither with my Tibhar Illusion Killer.
So I could say that Butterfly blades are lower quality than Galaxy and Tibhar.
dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 4:29am
Btw on the Infinity VPS thread someone mentioned blue stamp and silver stamp Infinity models.
Silver stamp is higher quality for China market.

Are they from same factory but different quality control?
lewis1253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewis1253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 1:28pm
I have had the veneers split away from the core of the blade on 2 Stiga Infinity. I switched from Stiga since.
Quality over quantity
dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 2:16pm
How do you mean "split away from the core"?
Did you hit the table or was it while taking of the rubbers?
DrBacterius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrBacterius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 3:59am
Originally posted by lewis1253 lewis1253 wrote:

I have had the veneers split away from the core of the blade on 2 Stiga Infinity. I switched from Stiga since.

It's correct if I understand that the outer veneers detached from the core veneer? That's what I saw in a Clipper but not in Infinity.

That kind of things is what I'm talking about.

Of course, there are lots of Stiga blades working well and with good quality but I think that the incidence with quality problems in Stiga blades has increased a lot in the last years.
OSP Virtuoso
T8O Max / Ventus Spin 1.8

My Feedback
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 6:21am
I'm really surprised reading some of these posts about Stiga quality.

At this moment I own a Clipper Wood, Clipper CC, Infinity and Emerald and IMO there is nothing wrong with the quality. Played a lot with both Clippers and ofcourse they are damaged, but only to my own doing (like hitting the table) Haven't played a lot with Infinity and Emerald, but reglued both blades couple of times. The outer plies are still 100%.

Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 6:43am
Originally posted by rocketscientist rocketscientist wrote:

Stiga makes blades in china for the chinese market. They're better than the swedish ones.

You obvious doesn't know what you are talking about. All stiga blades are made in sweden, even the ones that are sold in China. And that is a fact.

OMG you are probably the ONLY guy in this world that you don't know that Stiga has factory in China!!!
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 6:54am
DrBacterius friend, I understand what you say...I am not fan of any brand, I just prefer in terms of quality Butterfly or Nittaku.The best blades I've evern used from Stiga are the two National China's team rosewood, and emerald.But the rosewood was pealed off and fixed.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 11:30am
Originally posted by lewis1253 lewis1253 wrote:

The outer veneer also peeled off one of my OCs. These blades sell in the US for $50 and it's literally the worse quality I've seen in blades include 2nd-rate $5 ones off taobao. With hinoki blades the cuts with slightly crooked grain sell for a fraction of the perfectly lined ones, and they're still not as crooked as in the stiga.

Offensive players get a Yinhe MC-2 instead. Far better for far less.
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

Originally posted by rocketscientist rocketscientist wrote:

Stiga makes blades in china for the chinese market. They're better than the swedish ones.

You obvious doesn't know what you are talking about. All stiga blades are made in sweden, even the ones that are sold in China. And that is a fact.

OMG you are probably the ONLY guy in this world that you don't know that Stiga has factory in China!!!

If so, how Clipper made in China, for example, can be more expensive than Clipper made in Sweden?

So many negative experiences regarding bad quality of Stiga blades and that's getting even worse (many complaints recently regarding Infinity VPS and Emerald as well). What a pity for them.

Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 1:13pm
Well stiga can charge anything for their own product. The margins on this stuff is crazy anyway.

If anyone is buying from tabletennis11, also check out SpinLord. I got their Defender model, and quality is just as good as Yinhe, same as Butterfly or similar top tier OEM.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 1:17pm
It´s a fact they have been trying to improve lately, but changing from their plastic sticker on the bottom to the "premium" metal badge will not solve the issue with their craftmanship. The cheapest made in Japan Butterfly or any Korbel is above their Top-Notch expensive blades: Rough finishing jobs, bad quality wood selection (wood knots, splinters), irregular/uneven thickness of plywood or even annoying barnishing jobs that can barely stick the rubbers (RW5)

There´s nothing more to add here, maybe CC´s aren´t the same in Euro zone. I´m also quite dissapointed with my Infinity V, outer plies came out while i was trying to peel off my rubbers. I recommend everyone to seal their Infinity blade before using it, because sooner or latery, that thin outer ply will come off. It´s not a matter of Infinity, I suffered same quality with my Clipper cr as well another models.

Edited by jonyer1980 - 01/31/2015 at 1:27pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 3:14pm

Well stiga can charge anything for their own product. The margins on this stuff is crazy anyway.

If anyone is buying from tabletennis11, also check out SpinLord. I got their Defender model, and quality is just as good as Yinhe, same as Butterfly or similar top tier OEM.

Sure they can carge as much as they want and to make poor quality premium priced blades. Too bad they won't be able to do that forever.

As for me, I decided to stay away from Stiga (and I was almost ready to order Hybrid Wood). I could make an exception in case of cheap Stiga blades such as Offensive CR non-WRB.

Yasaka (probably Avalox and Donic) blades are cheaper alternatives also made in Sweden (mostly). I believe Cornilleau Gatien blades are worth to be taken into consideration as Stiga Hardwood Series alternatives made in Sweden.

Lately, Stiga is all about marketing, hype and old fame. Shame for such used-to-be-great manufacturer.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic