FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The Most Ridiculous Style!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Most Ridiculous Style!
    Posted: 01/29/2015 at 10:22am
I nominate this guy (guy in red)!!!

Edited by JohnnyChop - 01/29/2015 at 10:23am
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Sponsored Links

Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 10:43am
I thought he's gonna invent RPF.LOL Ha!
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
mark20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 10:53am
I have played with that style for years. Initially its tough to play against with. Thru experience you will find their weakness.
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 11:36am
It's really not that different from your typical SH push blocker who uses his BH for everything.  The only difference is how he holds the paddle.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 12:18pm
Rate the players....1750 US?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 12:18pm
I kind of figured he was using anti on the red side, so blocking a lot with rpb
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 12:23pm
Looked quite well dressed to me...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 12:27pm
not that ridiculous, but I think blocking with the reverse side on the extreme FH side is not that smart
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 12:50pm

It's painful to watch.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 1:02pm
What's so ridiculous about a pushblocking style?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

I nominate this guy (guy in red)!!!
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;"></span>

Looks like a good pushblocker, just with the penhold BH. His grip must be a little different than the "standard" penhold grip to make it work.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Gotta be better than that.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 1:17pm
> Looks like a good pushblocker, just with the penhold BH. His grip must be a little different than the "standard" penhold grip to make it work.

He's using a somewhat unusual handle on the racket. Hard to see for sure on the video but it appears he has some "nub" he grips and no protruding handle on top, which gives a bit more flexibility.

I suspect something like this: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.118.rIFXXp&id=38413356825&ns=1&abbucket=3#detail

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I would think around 2000 - don't think I will be able to beat them. That one smash the guy hit was very good - so I think if he sees weak balls he will put them away! Style may not be great - but an effective if you're not a strong player.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 2:41pm

I used pushblocker style years ago. I won some major upsets of players around 2000 rating. I always felt I won the point strictly on my equipment and not so much on skill. I gave it up and have never looked back other than a recent switch to SP's on BH. I didn't enjoy winning that way and felt I was covering up weaknesses. Yes defenders need tools also but that style of winning is just plain ugly and nothing will ever change my mind. Sure there are strategies to win against that style but I feel our sport simply can do without it.   
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 2:41pm
I've not seen that before, but in my trips to China I have seen all sorts of strange self-taught stuff, some just as unusual as that. 
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 4:34pm
This dude looks like a Seemiller style Pushblocker with Pips or Anti using a modified C-Pen bat and a modified grip to make it very similar in function to Seemiller, use it exactly the opposite way - BH side to receive everything. Strange interesting don't see that every day weird indeed. That is not to say it is bad, just different and I welcome it.

I have seen a LOT of Korean C-Pen players make mods to their bat to make it more J-Pen like in function. I have seen some make their C-Pen bat REALLY easy to twiddle, often these guys were very skilled Div 1 city players who used OX LP on one side and could use the OX to setup or hit and finish points. There was one such chap who visited our club and would use his inverted side to setup OX LP hit finishes. I mean this guy really craved to finish with the OX LP and he was good. He wasn't a match for heavy spin deep, but if you played the push to push game he would slap your face.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Well nothing ridiculous with the pushblocker style... This guy's approach to it is ridiculous. And by ridiculous I don't mean bad, I mean unusual, it make you think how he developed it...
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:34pm

Well nothing ridiculous with the pushblocker style... This guy's approach to it is ridiculous. And by ridiculous I don't mean bad, I mean unusual, it make you think how he developed it...

It's not uncommon for traditional PH players to put LP on BH for occasional trickery. This guy just took that to its extreme.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:38pm

Still not clear. His grip is unorthodox, but its pretty obvious that he developed it with an extreme BH orientation. He can loop on his forehand. When I compare him to other players who use their push blocking backhand all over the table, he looks pretty conventional aside from grip. Since even inverted players use BH on FH side now, his game is quite mainstream for his level, grip aside.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
acid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:46pm
funny style eh?
we sure have a lot of characters in PingPong  Hug
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 6:20pm
His grip is 90% penhold. It's worse for FH open angle, but he's not using those anyway.

Interesting, but really not that different.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 7:30pm
Just enjoy the rarity and the unconventionalness of the style... Kinda fun to watch...
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 10:13am
Playing nearly every ball with LP in this way is not that unusual. However, reverse penhold was invented to allow a more natural backhand attack. Although some could attack bh with classic penhold, the backhand was mainly for blocking and pushing. So I do find it a bit on the ridiculous side, but not outrageous, that he has chosen RPB over classic one sided.  
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 10:17am
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Playing nearly every ball with LP in this way is not that unusual. However, reverse penhold was invented to allow a more natural backhand attack. Although some could attack bh with classic penhold, the backhand was mainly for blocking and pushing. So I do find it a bit on the ridiculous side, but not outrageous, that he has chosen RPB over classic one sided.  

By using RPB for it, it allows him to use his FH to hit easy balls.
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 10:44am
It is unconventional and kinda funny to watch Clap
I assume not so funny to play against Dead

My feeling is that these push block styles try to simplify the game to get most of it with regards to 'effectiveness'. Look at how the guy in red gives up the shots which are beyond his game plan. 

I personally would also favor two winged looping as it is more athletic and much more awesome. 
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 11:40am
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

His grip is 90% penhold. It's worse for FH open angle, but he's not using those anyway.

Interesting, but really not that different.

Agreed. Once I look past the grip I see a game that is very similar to the one played by one of our local regulars - who is probably a very solid 1900 or so USATT level against people he plays regularly and maybe 2000 to 2100 against loopers not familiar with that style.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 11:47am
Originally posted by harldhzx harldhzx wrote:

I assume not so funny to play against Dead

My feeling is that these push block styles try to simplify the game to get most of it with regards to 'effectiveness'. Look at how the guy in red gives up the shots which are beyond his game plan. 

I personally would also favor two winged looping as it is more athletic and much more awesome. 

The general strategy seems to be to make the opponent play a game he doesn't want to play by:

1) Changing the timing and pace by taking the ball early.
2) Using anti or LP on one side only which makes the opponent spend a tad more time "reading" the spin
3) Placing the ball in unusual/difficult locations that the opponent then has to adjust to.
4) Returning a higher percentage of attacks.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 2:11pm
If the guy in red was attacking those high balls and putting pressure on his opponent then his game would be much more effective. Or another option for him is to be very consistent at blocking and giving sharp angles.
But the way he was playing in the video experienced opponent can just wait for the right ball to attack and if it is blocked then push some more without risking and wait for another opportunity.
No need to hurry.
The guy in the green had good tactics
Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 3:52pm
maybe he got back pain...
someday my back is so painfull that i am not able to loop...
only lp ox pushes...
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic