Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harder vs.Softer Blade for Penhold?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
interact215 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interact215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harder vs.Softer Blade for Penhold?
    Posted: 01/29/2015 at 4:47pm
Just started recently and I'd like advice on whether a harder blade may be best for the penhold style I'm trying to use, rathet than medium of soft feel. I think I have the good hands and touch to handle a harder blade.

On BH I mostly use reverse penhold backhand, but also use traditional backhand when needed. I play very up tempo serve and receive, 3rd ball attack, off the bounce, at the table and over the table. On FH a hit flat whenever possible. With TPB I punch block whenever possible.

Blade and rubber suggestions also welcome. I'm considering a Butterfly Chinese Tamca ULC PH blade with Tenergy 05 FX on BH and short pips on FH. A player who's style I'd like to emulate is Jiaqi Zheng. She uses a Butterly Timo Boll T5000 (Tamca) PH, which is very fast, stiff, and quite hard. I believe that blade may be several grams too heavy for. Zheng uses T05 FX on BH and JOOLA Ultra Express SP on FH. I'm also considering a good flat hitting, low spin sensitivity inverted rubber for FH, such as Gambler Outlaw.

Tks,
interact215
Sponsored Links

Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:05pm
if you play fast and off the bounce hard is better. Jiaqi's game in particular would be significantly more difficult with a soft blade.
Jiaqi has a really fine physique. If she can handle those grams most people can. You don't need to be a weight lifter to use a 90 gram blade. There is something about the quality of a heavy blade that simply cannot be reproduced with an 80 gram blade.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 5:13pm
Why not just use tb t5000? I think shan xiaona used to play with the ulc... If your sp game is based on speed instead of spin manipulation I would say use a hard blade.
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interact215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 6:34pm
very helpful replies.

Victor_the_cleaner - you make a good point, although due to my own thin physique I'm a bit worried about my hands, wrist and elbow. Also, I've heard players mention the relative ease of strokes with lighter setups, the split seconds saved getting to balls, etc. Maybe I should just give it a shot and see what happens. It's less than a 10g difference actually. 

JohnnyChop - despite my concern about weight, I've considered going for the TB T5000, but I haven't been able to find it in C-pen. Anyone who knows where it's available, please reply. it obviously works great for Zheng, but I have some concern about it's relatively negative control ratings. Control issues are mentioned several times in reviews of this blade.  Can't find much feedback on the Chinese Tamca ULC, but I don't see any red flags in what's out there. Also, I believe the ULC was designed specifically for PH, which seems like a plus. It has speed, stiffness, and hardness ratings comparable to the T5000, 

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by interact215 interact215 wrote:

very helpful replies.

Victor_the_cleaner - you make a good point, although due to my own thin physique I'm a bit worried about my hands, wrist and elbow. Also, I've heard players mention the relative ease of strokes with lighter setups, the split seconds saved getting to balls, etc. Maybe I should just give it a shot and see what happens. It's less than a 10g difference actually. 

JohnnyChop - despite my concern about weight, I've considered going for the TB T5000, but I haven't been able to find it in C-pen. Anyone who knows where it's available, please reply. it obviously works great for Zheng, but I have some concern about it's relatively negative control ratings. Control issues are mentioned several times in reviews of this blade.  Can't find much feedback on the Chinese Tamca ULC, but I don't see any red flags in what's out there. Also, I believe the ULC was designed specifically for PH, which seems like a plus. It has speed, stiffness, and hardness ratings comparable to the T5000, 

The tb t5000 is not a heavy blade(thin blade, mine is about 85ish) compared to most traditional sp penhold blades... Most sp players prefer heavier blades because it means the wood is denser thus giving you more solid hits and blocks...
Sorry about the cpen I think I got the last one bty na had in stock

There is always going to be control issues if you use a carbon blade, I balance this by using slower and softer pips....
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by interact215 interact215 wrote:

very helpful replies.

The tb t5000 is not a heavy blade(thin blade, mine is about 85ish) compared to most traditional sp penhold blades... Most sp players prefer heavier blades because it means the wood is denser thus giving you more solid hits and blocks...
Sorry about the cpen I think I got the last one bty na had in stock

There is always going to be control issues if you use a carbon blade, I balance this by using slower and softer pips....
wankhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wankhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 9:27pm
Hi interact215

I have owned and played a Chinese ULC Penhold. This blade is an all-rounder good for smashing, blocking and chopping, except looping. If you are a looper, try another blade. If you enjoy blocking, pushing, counter-attack with block and smashing, the chinese ULC Penhold is very good. If you play against an attacker, this blade can hold up the attack very well, since it gives you more control.

If you plan to buy one, I can sell my old one to you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interact215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 10:24pm
folks, does T05 FX sound like a good idea for RPB? It's on my radar now after seeing Zheng uses it for her RPB.

wankhao - tks for this offer. I'll likely PM you before long to discuss further. As for looping- actually I'm not sure if I'm a looper or not. Bear in mind, after basement play 30+ years ago, I've only picked up and began developing a real game as of a few months ago.  So, I've barely settled into a style. 

I'd say the only loops I'm interested in are opening loops, or counter loops from close or at the table. I'm not interested in looping from off the table unless I'm forced back.  So, not sure if this makes me a looper. I do like to use topspin close to the table for the above and for what I think would be considered "loop-drives".

JohnnyChop - very helpful into about your setup and SP. I happened to try JOOLA Ultra Tango and 802-40 recently, 1,8-1.9 mm. Sounds like the 802-40 might be best to try first on this next blade which will be harder than the previous.

Btw, I have no intention of continuing to switch around my setups on a regular basis going forward. I'd like to think I'm still trying to get settled on one that I feel is an above average fit for the style I'm trying. 
wankhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wankhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 6:13am
Hi interact

For me, a looper is one who loops the ball at 11 until 12 o'clock at contact point.

Any one who does differently are not loopers. They may be loop drive, hitting, or smashing.
hhca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 8:50am
If you use tph punch block quite a lot
, you will not like soft blades. Of all the blades I've used, cc7 is the best for tph block
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic