Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sealing Blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wankhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wankhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sealing Blade
    Posted: 02/01/2015 at 8:05am
I heard that sealing a blade can make it faster, or better performance.

Is it true? Has anyone seal their blade? and with what?
Do you sand it after sealing?
Sponsored Links

mahomedy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2015 at 9:04am
i have another q regarding sealing(sorry OP for using your thread)
Is a polyurethane sealent effective for sealing a tt blade?
wankhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wankhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2015 at 9:14am
My additional questions are:

- Do you see any difference (better/worse) in performance after sealing ?
- What is your choice of sealant?
- How much weight (grams) would it add to your blade?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2015 at 12:49pm
Sealants can penetrate into the top layer and makes it harder and if not carefully used makes the blade feel and play quite different.  Polyurethane can penetrate quite deep and is very hard when it cures.  I once ruined an expensive blade using it.  I would never try it again. I doubt it has too much effect on weight.

My goal in sealing a blade is to have no effect at all on the blade performance, and just make sure the rubber comes off without taking wood with it.  I use old fashioned hair spray each time I reglue.  Let it dry.  Then apply the glue.  Seems to do the trick.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2015 at 12:55pm
"then on the 8th day.....God created the search function"         Thumbs Up
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2015 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Sealants can penetrate into the top layer and makes it harder and if not carefully used makes the blade feel and play quite different.  Polyurethane can penetrate quite deep and is very hard when it cures.  I once ruined an expensive blade using it.  I would never try it again. I doubt it has too much effect on weight.

My goal in sealing a blade is to have no effect at all on the blade performance, and just make sure the rubber comes off without taking wood with it.  I use old fashioned hair spray each time I reglue.  Let it dry.  Then apply the glue.  Seems to do the trick.

Baal, which brand of Hairspray did u use? or any brand from the dollar stores will do. Just want to put something on with all the horror stories about stiga lately. 
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2015 at 1:32pm
This is what I used but I think there are a bunch that will work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hair+spray+strong&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#tbs=vw:l,cat:1901,pdtr0:742230|742239&tbm=shop&q=hair+spray+super+strong&spd=12622319254353362757

It should come in an aerosol spray can.  It should be the kind of stuff that would make your hair feel like a rock if you actually used it on your head.
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2015 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

This is what I used but I think there are a bunch that will work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hair+spray+strong&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#tbs=vw:l,cat:1901,pdtr0:742230|742239&tbm=shop&q=hair+spray+super+strong&spd=12622319254353362757

It should come in an aerosol spray can.

Thanks Baal. I guess TT is going high fashion now...lol
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 2:39pm
Most people seal in order to make the rubber come off the blade more easily which avoids damaging the sponge, some people also use varnish. We can seal newly purchased blades from our store at no cost on request fyi :D
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 3:01pm
I use sanding sealer.  A thin coat will/should not change the playing characteristics of your blade perceptibly.

OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 4:39pm
You guys may all know this, but I may save somebody some trouble.

If you use a spray can like the deft above (I use minwax spray on poly satin), make sure you turn it upside-down and spray to clear out the nozzle when you're done.  If you leave the poly (or paint or whatever the can is) in the tube, it will dry in there and clog the can.  You'll get one or two sprays instead of the 50 or so a can has in it.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic