Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Poly Balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
stevenjlyang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevenjlyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 5:03am
XSF and Yinhe seamless ball are both made by Palio. 
but the standard are not the same. 
heavier weights means that durability and more consistent bounce but spin a little less, i personally think heavier ball will easily make speed, especially when hitting and blacking.
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 7:59am
I asked Pr. Moon to make the long post in his Diary thread and make a brief explanation of what makes the Nexy Ball feel solid and heavy. He has a lot of good insight, but his explanation is very long and prolly better suited for his diary thread where he makes LONG posts. 
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 9:41am
Originally posted by stevenjlyang stevenjlyang wrote:

heavier weights means that durability and more consistent bounce but spin a little less, i personally think heavier ball will easily make speed, especially when hitting and blacking.

Is this right?  The XSF manufacturer is really palio?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 10:03am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">heavier weights means that durability and more consistent bounce but spin a little less, i personally think heavier ball will easily make speed, especially when hitting and blacking.</span>

No. Palio is in Hong Kong and XSF is in China.
And heavier weight does not always result in less spin than lighter ball.
Actually, feeling of weight is not only about actual weight.
It has a lot with the chemical added in the base of PVC.
If we put oily chemical in PVC, it will allow lighter feeling.

Brand Manager of NEXY
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 10:07am
Sort of true. At the beginning there was a joint cooperative arrangement between Palio, XSF, and DHS to develop seamless balls, but the balls are actually made at a separate factory.  Then something happened that caused DHS to drop out of the deal (possibly an intellectual property issue or something to do with money), and at the last minute DHS were forced to figure out how to make a plastic ball -- but without the new seamless technology.  The result is a terrible ball but DHS has a lot of pull, so it has been widely used anyway.  That is quite unfortunate. 

There is no good evidence I have seen as yet that any of the ITTF approved seamless balls with different labels are consistently different in their weight or playing properties.  Good evidence would be the  actual weights carefully measured.  It is possible but I haven't seen any sign of it.

Bu jut playing with a ball can be very hard to accurately gauge it's weight, as I mentioned above.  Sort of like kicking a ball that is not quite fully inflated, the ball feels heavier.

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 11:03am
Baal thanks for bringing this point back up.   As I have mentioned a few times...people seem to mistake a balls weight  from what they are feeling when hitting it.  But what they are actually feeling most of the time is the balls compression, or moreover the balls stiffness. 

I find it pretty hard to believe that there is any wiggle room in changing a balls weight within the manufacturing process with the new seamless ball.  Yes, it seems as though staying within the ITTF's guidelines for the 40+ weight allowance would not be possible if the manufacture was trying to make different weighted balls for various brands. 

Just my thoughts.....

Edited by Rich215 - 02/03/2015 at 11:04am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevenjlyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 9:18pm

as far as i know, this is right. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevenjlyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">heavier weights means that durability and more consistent bounce but spin a little less, i personally think heavier ball will easily make speed, especially when hitting and blacking.</span>

No. Palio is in Hong Kong and XSF is in China.
And heavier weight does not always result in less spin than lighter ball.
Actually, feeling of weight is not only about actual weight.
"It has a lot with the chemical added in the base of PVC.
If we put oily chemical in PVC, it will allow lighter feeling. "
agree with your this opinion. but i think we could not be confused by feeling of weight with feeling of hardness, actual weight will result in less spin than actual lighter ball. lighter feeling maybe caused by hardless feeling. this is just my personally opinion. if it is a wrong, please ignore it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevenjlyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Sort of true. At the beginning there was a joint cooperative arrangement between Palio, XSF, and DHS to develop seamless balls, but the balls are actually made at a separate factory.  Then something happened that caused DHS to drop out of the deal (possibly an intellectual property issue or something to do with money), and at the last minute DHS were forced to figure out how to make a plastic ball -- but without the new seamless technology.  The result is a terrible ball but DHS has a lot of pull, so it has been widely used anyway.  That is quite unfortunate. 

There is no good evidence I have seen as yet that any of the ITTF approved seamless balls with different labels are consistently different in their weight or playing properties.  Good evidence would be the  actual weights carefully measured.  It is possible but I haven't seen any sign of it.

Bu jut playing with a ball can be very hard to accurately gauge it's weight, as I mentioned above.  Sort of like kicking a ball that is not quite fully inflated, the ball feels heavier.

yes, you are right. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevenjlyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Baal thanks for bringing this point back up.   As I have mentioned a few times...people seem to mistake a balls weight  from what they are feeling when hitting it.  But what they are actually feeling most of the time is the balls compression, or moreover the balls stiffness. 

I find it pretty hard to believe that there is any wiggle room in changing a balls weight within the manufacturing process with the new seamless ball.  Yes, it seems as though staying within the ITTF's guidelines for the 40+ weight allowance would not be possible if the manufacture was trying to make different weighted balls for various brands. 

Just my thoughts.....
er, i think we should consider the feeling of hardness not the feeling of weight, the weight of balls we can weight them with accuracy. as you said that the feeling when hitting it, most of the time is the balls hardness or softness. harder ball could give the player a weight feeling, my thoughts....
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 10:38pm
More or less what I just said, so I agree with you.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 9:46am
Quick update on durability of Nexy balls - I played another 3 hours with it ball yesterday and still haven't broken a ball ... so as of now, it's ~9 hours (four practices) for me without breaking one Nexy ball.  

I'm curious about experiences related to durability of others who played with it.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 10:57am
That level of durability is typical for seamless (XSF anyway).
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 12:20pm

Your observation differs a little bit from my personal experiences with seamless balls.  

I found Nittaku Premium (which I like less than other seamless balls) to be extremely durable, much more durable than XSF, or any other celluloid or poly balls I've ever used.   I have played with Nittaku's extensively, and so have other club members, and I haven't seen one ball crack, except when someone stepped on it.  

XSF breaks rather easily when hit hard with an edge of the racket, but it's very durable otherwise - I broke one XSF per practice, on average - always when it was hit with an edge of racket.

I haven't broken Nexy ball in four practices, so I'm curious whether it's just luck, or perhaps they are more durable than XSF because of their different formulation ... hence I asked others who played with Nexy ball to share their observations on its durability.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 12:38pm
I need to get some Nexy balls and weigh them accurately.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

Your observation differs a little bit from my personal experiences with seamless balls.  

I found Nittaku Premium (which I like less than other seamless balls) to be extremely durable, much more durable than XSF, or any other celluloid or poly balls I've ever used.   I have played with Nittaku's extensively, and so have other club members, and I haven't seen one ball crack, except when someone stepped on it.  

I think we'll probably find that type of use matters.  I've seen them routinely broken in an hour or so by a hard hitting 60+ hard bat player. 

I've also had a few break in regular play.  The USATT 2014 Nationals where the whole tournament was run with NP40+ (sandpaper excepted).  So their experience would probably give a good idea of what a typical player might run into.  As it sits, for heavy hardbat use I consider them about as durable as the Nittaku Premium Celluloid.  They might be a bit more durable with predominately sponge use.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 2:15pm
It's possible that the NP 40+ has gotten better with time.  But the first set I ever got was clearly inferior to the XSF in durability.  I still have one of my very first XSF balls.

The set I bought for Nationals performed better and I haven't bought any since.  The more recent XSF balls have broken a bit more but are still largely good, and the breaks have been mostly after freak hits or very very long usage.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 2:17pm

XSF breaks rather easily when hit hard with an edge of the racket, but it's very durable otherwise - I broke one XSF per practice, on average - always when it was hit with an edge of racket.

I haven't broken Nexy ball in four practices, so I'm curious whether it's just luck, or perhaps they are more durable than XSF because of their different formulation ... hence I asked others who played with Nexy ball to share their observations on its durability.

Your post implied that Nittaku Premiums are seamless. I don't believe they are.

It is an interesting and confirmed observation about the seamless balls (XSF, Yinhe, Nexy) breaking if hit hard with the edge of the paddle. I've been playing exclusively and extensively with both the XSF and Yinhe seamless balls for three months now. I play on average 15-20 hours a week. So in the last three months I have played between 180-200 hours total with the seamless ball. In all that time I have broken a TOTAL of TWO balls. Both breaks were edge hits. I have many club mates whose experience is similar to mine. On the other hand, I have one club mate who broke three in one week, all with edge hits. He plays penhold and hits harder than most players I know.

So, my personal experience is that the seamless ball is much more durable than any ball I have ever used before. But, it also "seems" to be more vulnerable to very hard edge hits.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by LOG1C1AN LOG1C1AN wrote:

Your post implied that Nittaku Premiums are seamless. I don't believe they are.

Correct.  They are seamed.  That said, the thickness of the seam is MUCH less than the thickness of the seam we find in celluloid and the seamed Chinese balls.

You can see the less pronounced seam at around 4m 40secs on the video below.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 2:57pm
Yep, I was wrong - Nittaku Premium 40+ are seamed ... It's funny that I never noticed the seam and assumed they were seamless - it's no fun getting old, LOL
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 3:02pm
I very occasionally break a XSF but have not done it on the edge of my racket.  Instead I have done it on the edge of the table. So i think we can agree that edges are what does them in.  Typically I can get many hours out of one XSF ball (and even then they don't break, I just put them in my serve practice bucket at some point).   I think there is a pretty solid consensus from many people now that all of the approved seamless balls are more durable than any seamed ball, including the Nittaku Premium -- unless of course the Nittakus have recently improved and Victor has a more recent batch than people in my club have received (which would be good if that's the case).  I like the Nittaku Premium also.  I can feel the difference easily between those and XSF, but I like them both. 

Some people's experience also reflects random events which average out over time.  I have been playing almost exclusively with XSF and Nittaku Premium since late spring/early summer of 2014, so I feel like I have a pretty good sense of how they behave.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 3:03pm

Yep, I was wrong - Nittaku Premium 40+ are seamed ... It's funny that I never noticed the seam and assumed they were seamless - it's no fun getting old, LOL

The seam is really hard to see, though.  You kind of have to hold up to the right kind of light.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 3:25pm

I very occasionally break a XSF but have not done it on the edge of my racket.  Instead I have done it on the edge of the table. So i think we can agree that edges are what does them in.  Typically I can get many hours out of one XSF ball (and even then they don't break, I just put them in my serve practice bucket at some point).   I think there is a pretty solid consensus from many people now that all of the approved seamless balls are more durable than any seamed ball, including the Nittaku Premium -- unless of course the Nittakus have recently improved and Victor has a more recent batch than people in my club have received (which would be good if that's the case).  I like the Nittaku Premium also.  I can feel the difference easily between those and XSF, but I like them both. 

Some people's experience also reflects random events which average out over time.  I have been playing almost exclusively with XSF and Nittaku Premium since late spring/early summer of 2014, so I feel like I have a pretty good sense of how they behave.

@Baal - I have a gut feeling that if you like XSF and Nittaku Premium 40+, you'll also like the Nexy balls (if you get a chance to play with them), and you'll most likely notice that they are different than XSF - my initial reaction was that they were in-between XSF and Nittaku.

It's possible that we have a different batch of Nittaku balls, or maybe it's the playing conditions, or just coincidence - who knows.  

As to XSF braking on me more frequently than for others, it could be because I play a lot with a ~2300 junior who hits very hard and often with edges, and he's responsible for breaking 3 of my 4 cracked XSF balls.   I actually gave him one of my Nexy balls last night, after we played with it for a while, and asked him to use it as much as possible over the next few days to see how long it will take him to crack it.  I know this experiment is non-scientific, but I'm really curious about the result anyway :o)

Edited by VictorK - 02/04/2015 at 4:02pm
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 3:40pm
Victor,

In between XSF and Nittaku would be great.

I have been playing with some really hard hitting players too, also around 2200-2300, occasionally higher.  It may however relate to the fact that my club has Gerfloor and walls covered with plastic tarps, and that really does reduce wear on balls.
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 5:24pm

I have been playing with some really hard hitting players too, also around 2200-2300, occasionally higher.  It may however relate to the fact that my club has Gerfloor and walls covered with plastic tarps, and that really does reduce wear on balls.

My club has similar flooring and wall covering, so that may contribute to the less frequent seamless ball breakage that I have experienced.
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 5:59pm

As to XSF braking on me more frequently than for others, it could be because I play a lot with a ~2300 junior who hits very hard and often with edges, and he's responsible for breaking 3 of my 4 cracked XSF balls.

I've only had 1 of my YinHe seamless balls break on me so far, and it was one of those juniors at westchester that was using it when it broke.  Rawle mentioned that those guys hit the edge a lot so not to be surprised.

Edited by hookumsnivy - 02/04/2015 at 6:00pm
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by LOG1C1AN LOG1C1AN wrote:

My club has similar flooring and wall covering, so that may contribute to the less frequent seamless ball breakage that I have experienced.

Our club also has Gerfloor and large courts with barriers, so balls almost never hit walls, so we can probably exclude playing conditions as a reason for the differences.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 11:52pm
Then it is probably random sampling.  Sometimes if you flip a coin and it comes up heads four times in a row.  But after about 1000 flips, it is pretty close to 500 either way.  XSF balls are very durable.   

Anyway, I'll try to get some Nexy balls to compare, since a XSF ball that was slightly faster would be perfect.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevenjlyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2015 at 12:50am

I need to get some Nexy balls and weigh them accurately.
i will weigh Yinhe and Palio balls.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2015 at 11:34am
Bear in mind that if the Nexy balls really are substantially heavier than XSF, that's going to be a problem come January 2016 if ITTF sticks with the standards they plan for then.  At that time, balls will need to be less than 2.80 grams.  The XSF balls are currently around 2.75 or so (vs. average of 2.68 for Nittaku Premium).  That means there is not a lot of margin for error to change much from what XSF is currently doing. 

It seems more likely to me that if the Nexy balls really are different from XSF, it may have to do with the material which makes them feel heavier.  If they really are heavier, they won't be able to stick with that recipe if they want to maintain ITTF approval.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic