FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Attaching top sheet to sponge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attaching top sheet to sponge
    Posted: 02/05/2015 at 10:47am
Hey guys
Just wondering, those of you who attach your own top sheet to sponge, what glue do you use?
I am asking because i have been using rubber cement but i kind want a stronger bond! Does anyone know what glue does the factories use?
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2015 at 11:26am
Factories got their own VOC stuff and special industrial equipment, so you're never gunna do it just like the factory in your home.

As for forumer who has done it the most, I would say that would be Cole.

He has some nice stuff on his site and this is the vid from it.

I cannot tell you how many 999 on sponge specials I have ordered from Cole to custom glue for me over the years. Never had a problem with any of his glue jobs. And it isn't a small sample size either.

If you follow his tips, and go steady with it, you should get a good result.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2015 at 2:27pm
If you're gluing on pips out it's easy. Personally I just treat it like I'm gluing on 2 sheets of rubber to the same side. I glue on the sponge on the blade first with water based glue, then I glue the topsheet on top of the sponge also with water based glue.

If you are trying to glue inverted onto sponge then it's a bit more complicated and I would recommend using the link that BH posted and following Cole's instructions.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2015 at 3:10pm
I used to use best test, but it seems like they intentionally made the formula less sticky.  Now I just use elmers rubber cement for everything ($10 per liter at office depot).
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2015 at 3:13pm
thanks guys was just wondering if there is a better glue then rubber cement!
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2015 at 8:15pm
If you really want a firm bond between topsheet and sponge, you might try a glue along the lines of Gorilla Glue or maybe Crazy Glue.

This question has got the devious side of me to thinking.  Would it be legal to attach a tacky Chinese topsheet to a relatively soft Japanese sponge or a hi-tension Japanese topsheet to a fairly hard Chinese sponge? 

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2015 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

If you really want a firm bond between topsheet and sponge, you might try a glue along the lines of Gorilla Glue or maybe Crazy Glue.

Are you sure? Those glues leave behind a really hard residue. Couldn't that residue impact playing characteristics?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2015 at 8:40pm
I don't think gorilla glue is flexible enough.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2015 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

This question has got the devious side of me to thinking.  Would it be legal to attach a tacky Chinese topsheet to a relatively soft Japanese sponge or a hi-tension Japanese topsheet to a fairly hard Chinese sponge? 

They tried that a lot in the early to mid 2000's, mostly for gluers.  For example, h3 nittaku and stiga china extreme.  I got the impression that the general consensus (and I agree) was that the rubber became mushy and just too reactive to spin and too slow with the tacky top on even mid hardness Japanese sponge.

Conversely, I think a Japanese topsheet would be hard to spin with on a traditional Chinese sponge.  Plus it's very difficult to cleanly remove a Japanese topsheet.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2015 at 1:27am
For people new to this forum it is unlikely that anybody knows more about this particular subject than Cole Ely.
Wfalicoff View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wfalicoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2015 at 8:49pm
I can tell you what we used in the ASTI factory in the 1990s.  We used a water-based urethane adhesive used in the shoe industry.  The main problem with this approach is we had to use a liquid primer on the sponge and pips.  If we put too much of this on it would hurt the performance of the rubber.  We laid the rubber sheet down with the pips facing up (rolling it onto a smooth surface) and use a fine brush for the primer on its (and one side of the sponge). Then we would put the liquid urethane adhesive on the pips and the sponge using a sponge applicator used to do stains.  We would then place the sponge on top of the pips.  We added a weight over the sandwich.  The adhesive would cure in 24 hours or less. 

Most of the industry had automated gluing equipment that used high VOC rubber cements.  But the last time I saw this equipment was in 2002. 

The reason I was interested in home methods of attaching the sheet is that I found around 50 top sheets of experimental rubber (I did the formulation on in 2002), which never was released.  The sheets appear in surprisingly good condition.  So I was interested in bonding these to some of the modern sponges to see how they perform with the 40+ ball.

I was familiar with the Best Test product but was sorry to see Cole no longer uses it.   My guess would be to go to an automotive product or bike store and ask what is being sold for rubberpatch kits.  This used to be a common product and I see several products on a search.  Typically these products have extra ingredient which post cures the solids, making it have higher elastic properties compared to ordinary rubber cement.  This is very important for high level players and those who tune the sheet. I see that there is a product that is still available that might work "Rema Tip Top 203 Cold Vulcanizing Fluid". 

I hope this info is helpful.

Former President of ASTI
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic