FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Can this hurt my TT game?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can this hurt my TT game?
    Posted: 02/22/2015 at 10:42am
I discovered a gym at the beginning of the year that often has strength and fitness competitions. I took a couple of weeks to train for their "Winter Games." In my 3 events, I won 2 golds and 1 silver for my age division (you may have just guessed they were more strength than fitness). I haven't played TT for a few weeks and it seems this type of lifting could be harmful to my touch. I'll find out next week. 

Gold in dumbbell incline press - 50lb DB each hand, most reps in 3 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nrx-mq5tZI

Silver in bench press - 135lbs, most reps in 3 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO34EHDMnfE

Edited by heavyspin - 02/22/2015 at 10:54am
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
Sponsored Links

Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2015 at 11:02am
I have been weight training all my adult life and think this has only helped me in other sports. Obviously you need to allow time for recovery and it is important to stretch to maintain flexibility. Frederic Delavier's strength training anatomy series of books have some really good information with regards to the possible side effects of any particular exercise and how to avoid injury.

Edited by Sedis - 02/22/2015 at 11:03am
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2015 at 4:26pm
I think it's very good and necessary, just make sure to lift with the right technique, otherwise the injuries will come.. 
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2015 at 7:16pm
I need to clarify my post. This isn't about lifting weights in general, but doing extreme lifting events which are not part of anyone's training routine, but only designed for competitions. I've been lifting weights on and off (mostly on) for over 30 years. For about 3 weeks I practiced for this competition which is all about how much one can do before completely exhausting one's muscles. 
When I completed the bench press, for example, it took a solid 30 minutes before I could hold my cell phone without my arms trembling. That can't be good for making an effective short serve return to an opponent with an aggressive 3rd ball attack. Why did I do it? I love to compete.

Edited by heavyspin - 02/22/2015 at 7:17pm
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2015 at 7:55pm
Like Sedis said, you need to make sure you give yourself enough time to recover. Hopefully you aren't doing these competitions within at least 48 hours of any important table tennis matches. Once you feel your muscular system is running at normal capacity and you have come out uninjured then that's great and will help your overall athleticism.

As far as general weightlifting goes, go ahead and strengthen all of your muscles EXCEPT the upper trapezius muscles. This means NO SHRUGS! I'm writing this for anyone who plays table tennis and reads this. Increasing the size of your upper traps will limit the speed, mobility, and flexibility of your arms which is counter-productive to table tennis. Of course, high level body building and extremely heavy bulking isn't good either but I think that one probably goes without saying. Other than that, weightlifting will help in most sports.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2015 at 9:20pm
bulking up is always going to hurt in ttennis.... the more bulky you are the less agile...in many sports muscle bulk is not useful - you are heavier and slower.... extreme weight leads to bulking up muscle so definitely going to hurt ttennis as you will be a lot less agile... 
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic