FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Is it possible to fix my blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xfighter1188 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xfighter1188 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it possible to fix my blade?
    Posted: 02/24/2015 at 2:55pm

This is the blade http://www.tabletennisdb.com/blade/andro-kinetic-cf-kevlar-carbon-off.html and it seems that the carbon fiber has split from the wood. Could I glue it back down or is it done for good

Edited by xfighter1188 - 02/24/2015 at 2:57pm
Sponsored Links

*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 4:13pm
I have fixed a blade of my friend which had same problem as yours.My friend sayd it plays great and has no difference at all.I had never played with it to be sure for the result.He justa says it is great and it plas as before.( i play almost 12 years table tennis and he plays 5-6 more than me so he has experience too)Nothing to loose my friend.Just glue it and if you dont like the feeling, just buy a new one.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 5:57pm
my strad is in similar condition. What should i use to glue the plys?

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
neutronbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 7:44am
I think a very thin layer of wood glue wood work great and I doubt you would lose any feeling. 
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 7:58am
If you use wood glue I think the glue wouldn't manage to go to the deepest "crack' of the blade.You have to use glue with less viscocity.I personaly used an expensive watchmaker's glue that I have to fix watches.It is really stong glue but difficult to find. Disapprove
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
freeSpin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freeSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 8:32am
I would try wood glue diluted with a bit of water and use a syringe with fine long needle to reach the deepest place of the crack. Then put under the press and drain any excess glue -if any.
Nothing to lose trying - Good luck.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 9:24am
In my eyes none of these options will work as good as you wish, because the additional glue on only one part of the blade will change the playing-skills at these parts. There will be three parts: 1) the part, which is still ok, 2) a second part, where the new glue holds the two parts together and 3) a part between the other two parts, where no or not enough glue was added.

It does not matter, if I am totally right, because each match there will be a bad moment, when you think, that something is still wrong with your paddle.

I would try to split also the rest of the carbon fibre from the wood, if that`s possible. If this works, it will be much easier to apply a uniform layer of glue and to stick both sides together again. You should contact one of the guys, who are producing their own blades, which glue they use, but I think, it is more important, to use a uniform layer of glue and to press it for a long time and as uniform as possible.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 11:23am
Generally I don't like when we discuss about loosing feeling, or adding 0,7 gramms on a blade, or not sandpaper a blade because it will losse its characterisics.The only thing I dont like it, it is because we are not professionals to see SO big difference and we dont make our living from tt.But I agree that some people are so skilled over the years and feel the difference.I personaly can see a difference if you "touch" a blade, but generally I don't care, I've explained the reasns.The people who have same or similar issues, can try theirselves and try to fix them.If they will get dissapointed, then they can buy a new one.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 11:28am
I would tend to go with Magic's wording.....you can glue it up...but it will never be the same.    Time for a new blade if it was me...........
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 3:49pm
I think you can glue it together pretty well but I doubt it will play as good as a new one.. How did it happen? 
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 2:19am
my strad was a gift from a clubmate, it came with a dent ( small part missing) which later turned to be a crack. It's not as bad as that in the pic of the OP, no disrespect. However it's bad enough that it's visible and makes weird sounds. I ended up getting a zxi. I was hoping someday i can put work in my strad, use it and let my dad use the zxi.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

I would tend to go with Magic's wording.....you can glue it up...but it will never be the same.    Time for a new blade if it was me...........

Correct!

It could be repaired and even fully glued, but it is lot of work - removing all the top ply, cleaning, filling the holes, to glue all these things once again and to put them under equal pressure.
I don't think this blade deserves the labor.....
I have had the same restoration before for a T10 blade and believe me - there is a difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic