Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

considerate or bad coaching?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
pingponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: considerate or bad coaching?
    Posted: 02/25/2015 at 1:08am
I've recently been playing at a club full of competitive kids accompanied by supportive parents, who are sometimes more intense as coaches than their little ones as players.  This club has produced U.S. champions and Olympians, so the competitive atmosphere and the desire to produce more future champions is obvious from that place.

There was this boy, probably around 8, playing his matches with noticeably good strokes and a healthy competitive attitude, but with obviously illegal serve (no toss at all).  After seeing the kid play game after game with consitently illegal service motion, I approached the parent, after he was done taking videos of his kid.  I then carefully pointed out the issue.

To what I said, he replied with something like, "I am a ranked player, and I coach my son.  I do know that his service motion is illegal.  However, he is not feeling well today, so I'm giving him a break and letting him serve as he wants.  But thank you for your comment, ...".  

Nice guy, he handled my comment well.

I initially thought what the parent said was okay.  But on second thought, wasn't this doing a disservice to the kid? For he is allowed to acquire a bad habit, that he has to unlearn for sure, if he wants to play sanctioned events later on.  Unlearning bad habits, from my experience, is, over the long-term, harder than learning good ones from the start, even if the good habits are harder to get started with.

Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 2:03am
In my opinion people should coach themselves. If someone is not paying you or asking for your expertise - you shouldn't offer it. 

When I was first learning TT, I appreciated all the free advice that was coming my way, however, now that I'm more knowledgeable about the sport - I've realized 80% of the free advice was incorrect. 

In this specific case I would agree with the coach and the parent. It is very confusing for juniors to receive conflicting advice from different sources. 

One of my earlier coaches - former National coach - said "When serving - never serve legally but never serve illegally!" - Perhaps that's what this junior is using.

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 8:21am
Is it a disservice? If it's one day, no. If it's constant, then maybe. Tossing the ball a couple inches higher is  not hard to do. Most likely, this parent was in "face saving" mode and lied about his kid being sick. 

At any rate, most people don't appreciate strangers telling them what their kids are doing is wrong.

And, probably everybody can use this advice: don't offer advice to other TT players unless it's asked for. Like jrscatman, much of the advice given to me over the years was dead wrong. Frankly, most TT players in the US haven't learned from decent coaches and they merely promulgate their bad habits and wrong-headed notions to others. I remember meeting a "coach" who had about a 900 USTTA ranking and I almost fell over when he showed me how teaches his students to "loop". 
Primorac Carbon + P7
Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70427&title=feedback-cheondo
bobloiy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobloiy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 8:23am
One of my earlier coaches - former National coach - said "When serving - never serve legally but never serve illegally!" - Perhaps that's what this junior is using.

What's that supposed to mean?

Edited by bobloiy - 02/25/2015 at 8:23am
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by bobloiy bobloiy wrote:

He wanted the players to serve in the "grey zone" - ball toss very close to 6 inches, toss not exactly straight, palms - not completely flat, try to hide ball with the body....etc. But don't do it in such a way so that people will say it's illegal....but he wanted people to ask the question was it legal? 
As I mentioned he was high level coach - as a beginner, it was too much for me - I just started serving legally. At the time I found it too confusing to worry about illegal stuff. But I guess as you go up in levels all the little things make a difference. 

Note: As one of the posters told me in a previous thread - if you serve on the borderline - be careful when you use it. Also, what type of umpire might be calling the match. You don't want to get called on a serve on a match point against you. 

Edited by jrscatman - 02/25/2015 at 12:56pm
Butterfly MPS
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 12:29pm
The main problem is that its a disservice to the sport. Unfortunately, many coaches teaches their students to serve illegaly, well aware that most of the times, they will get away with it.

If coaches could work hard on teaching clearly legal serves, then the serve issue might go away. I know, its a Utopia to belive in such a thing.
The holy grail
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

The main problem is that its a disservice to the sport. Unfortunately, many coaches teaches their students to serve illegaly, well aware that most of the times, they will get away with it.

If coaches could work hard on teaching clearly legal serves, then the serve issue might go away. I know, its a Utopia to belive in such a thing.
In a match I faced an opponent who served illegally (off his hands) to teach him a lesson, I decided to serve illegally as well....to my surprise I found I couldn't serve illegally - either I missed the serve completely or I had trouble placing it correctly, went back to legal serving. 
Butterfly MPS
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 3:42pm
Lol, Ive tried the same, with the same result. a guy constantly blocked the ball with his free arm, so I decided to do the same... Managed to hit try arm two times with the ball and one time with the racket, on four attempts. Went back to legal serving after that.
The holy grail
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by bobloiy bobloiy wrote:

I interpret it as "do whatever you can get away with."  Probably great advice from the pragmatic angle.  Not so hot from the sportsmanship angle.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 3:48pm

If coaches could work hard on teaching clearly legal serves, then the serve issue might go away. I know, its a Utopia to believe in such a thing.

Nah.  I don't think so.  The fish rots from the head down.  If ITTF umpires don't enforce the rules, then we'll see illegal serves further on down the ranks.  Aspiring players copy top players.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 3:49pm

Lol, Ive tried the same, with the same result. a guy constantly blocked the ball with his free arm, so I decided to do the same... Managed to hit try arm two times with the ball and one time with the racket, on four attempts. Went back to legal serving after that.

Practice, practice, practice ... ;^)
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 4:21pm
It looks like something we'll have to live with. Learn to watch the trajectory, bounce, and spin of the ball and don't even worry about the contact point. 

Primorac Carbon + P7
Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70427&title=feedback-cheondo
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 4:24pm
Illegal serves aren't all that hard;
You can learn them even if
You're a retard.

You can learn them when
You're seven or eight
From a coach you like
Or a coach you hate.

Will an ump ever call
Your serve on you?
Prob'ly not; don't worry,
Yeehaw, wahoo!

Does the ITTF really
give a damn?
Don't think so, no sir;
Definitely not, no ma'am.

So let's hear it for
illegal serves!
They take both strong and
Steady nerves.

And if you can't
Serve illegally,
Sorry sir or ma'am,
Tough noogies for thee.
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 6:54pm
If the man wasn't BS-ing you, then to me this is absolutely awful coaching. The guy's teaching his boy that it's OK to bend the rules due to your personal circumstances. It's completely wrong. And if the boy really isn't feeling well, then he shouldn't be playing. Either way, I disagree.
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Illegal serves aren't all that hard;
You can learn them even if
You're a retard.

<snip ...>

C'mon berndt_mann, your joking makes it seem like such illegal serving didn't exist back in those golden daze of hardbat nirvana.  We all know there was all sorts of crappy no-toss serving et al back then.  Perhaps this is an integral part of your game that you can't survive without?  Maybe you implement one of those crappy serves where you put "english" on the ball by spinning it off the bat right out of your hand?

C'mon, be honest without the high'n mighty bull.  Tongue
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 7:47pm
From a coaching perspective this is wrong. But there is no "correct" way to parent a child. Therefore I don't believe he is in the wrong. He wants his kid to have more fun for a day and that's his choice. It isn't right or wrong from a parental perspective.

Click the picture for feedback ^
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 8:11pm
[QUOTE=geardaddy]

C'mon berndt_mann, your joking makes it seem like such illegal serving didn't exist back in those golden daze of hardbat nirvana.  We all know there was (sic) all sorts of crappy no-toss serving et al back then.  Perhaps this is an integral part of your game that you can't survive without?  Maybe you implement one of those crappy serves where you put "english" on the ball by spinning it off the bat right out of your hand?

In the First Golden Days of hardbat nirvana (roughly 1931-1939) many of us know that knuckle-spin and finger-spin servers were employed and were devilishly hard to return, but were banned by the ITTF in the late 1930s.  A sharp practice yes, but perfectly legal until the ITTF and the USTTA decided to ban them.

http://www.allabouttabletennis.com/table-tennis-history.htm

Finger spin serves had become so popular during the 1930s that the ITTF decided that, in the best interests of the game, they should change the service rule and make them illegal.

The service rule at the time stated...

The service shall be delivered by the server projecting or dropping the ball by hand only, without deliberate deformation of the surface, into the air.

And the new wording was...

The service shall be delivered by the server releasing the ball by hand only, without imparting of spin, into the air.

Additionally, umpires were instructed that any form of spin imparted by anything other than the racket, was prohibited ... AND that if they were in any doubt about the serve, that they must order any player to use an open and flat serving hand, with the fingers straight and together, and the thumb free.

Gee.  How did I manage to win, from age 59 to age 62, 2 U-1500 HB U.S. Open Singles Championships, one U-1500 HB National Championship, and one North American U-1500
Championship, plus being a finalist in one U.S. Open U-1500 HB Championship, losing to my good friend Hermann Luechinger, one of Switzerland's better junior players in the Second Golden Days of HB nirvana (1946-1953)?  Must have been by using crappy serves where I put Irish-Prussian on the ball by spinning it off my bat right out of my hand.

It's not what we know; it's what we think we know that ain't true.

Edited by berndt_mann - 02/26/2015 at 6:34pm
bmann1942
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

[QUOTE=geardaddy]

C'mon berndt_mann, your joking makes it seem like such illegal serving didn't exist back in those golden daze of hardbat nirvana.  We all know there was all sorts of crappy no-toss serving et al back then.  Perhaps this is an integral part of your game that you can't survive without?  Maybe you implement one of those crappy serves where you put "english" on the ball by spinning it off the bat right out of your hand?

In the First Golden Days of hardbat nirvana (roughly 1931-1939) many of us know that knuckle-spin and finger-spin servers were employed and were devilishly hard to return, but were banned by the ITTF in 1937 or 1938.

still weren't really called though.

Click the picture for feedback ^
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 8:45pm
(NoRema) (finger- and knuckle spin serves) still weren't really called though.

They weren't called because they were legal according to the USTTA and ITTF service rules of the early and mid-1930s. 

Both the ITTF and USTTA banned finger- and knucklespin serves in the late 1930s.
bmann1942

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

In my opinion people should coach themselves. If someone is not paying you or asking for your expertise - you shouldn't offer it. 

When I was first learning TT, I appreciated all the free advice that was coming my way, however, now that I'm more knowledgeable about the sport - I've realized 80% of the free advice was incorrect. 

Was the question of offering advice the topic of this thread?  It will be good for lively discussion for sure - in another thread.  You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but let's keep focus here.  :)

In this specific case I would agree with the coach and the parent. It is very confusing for juniors to receive conflicting advice from different sources. 

You said in a later post that you had trouble serving illegally, because you got so used to serving legally.  But it goes both ways : one will have trouble serving legally, if they are so used to serving illegally.  So, it means you agree with the coach/parent, that they allow their ward to get used to serving illegally, and later have trouble trying to serve the correct way?  I'd be glad to hear how you would reconcile these posts. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Bran Bran wrote:

If the man wasn't BS-ing you, then to me this is absolutely awful coaching. The guy's teaching his boy that it's OK to bend the rules due to your personal circumstances. It's completely wrong. And if the boy really isn't feeling well, then he shouldn't be playing. Either way, I disagree.

I recall the boy was sniffling and coughing the whole time, but still wanted to play.  So he gets A for enthusiasm.

I'm of the same opinion as yours.  I can't imagine doing this to my own kid, even if it seems not a big deal.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 3:00am
Originally posted by pingponger pingponger wrote:

Was the question of offering advice the topic of this thread?  It will be good for lively discussion for sure - in another thread.  You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but let's keep focus here.  :)

You said in a later post that you had trouble serving illegally, because you got so used to serving legally.  But it goes both ways : one will have trouble serving legally, if they are so used to serving illegally.  So, it means you agree with the coach/parent, that they allow their ward to get used to serving illegally, and later have trouble trying to serve the correct way?  I'd be glad to hear how you would reconcile these posts. :)
As I mentioned - I am a recreational player - so how I do my serves is really not that big a deal. However, if a junior has plans to be a national level player - perhaps they play to different standard. As I mentioned a national coach wanted me serve in the grey zone - perhaps this how national level players are trained. If I look at most international players - most of them serve illegally.  So I am thinking if you want to play high level TT - you probably will have to serve illegally! (again this is just a guess based on observation - not actual experience!)
Butterfly MPS
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 9:44am

I recall the boy was sniffling and coughing the whole time, but still wanted to play.  So he gets A for enthusiasm.

And both get an "F" for sending cold germs to others via the handling of the TT ball and perhaps handshakes.  I'm far from being a germophobe, but colds and flus are disruptive.  I carry hand sanitizer to TT clubs and especially when traveling for this exact reason.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 9:46am

As I mentioned - I am a recreational player - so how I do my serves is really not that big a deal. However, if a junior has plans to be a national level player - perhaps they play to different standard. As I mentioned a national coach wanted me serve in the grey zone - perhaps this how national level players are trained. If I look at most international players - most of them serve illegally.  So I am thinking if you want to play high level TT - you probably will have to serve illegally! (again this is just a guess based on observation - not actual experience!)

You don't absolutely have to serve illegally to play high level.  But as with other skills, it is definitely beneficial from the standpoint of winning.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

And both get an "F" for sending cold germs to others via the handling of the TT ball and perhaps handshakes.  I'm far from being a germophobe, but colds and flus are disruptive.  I carry hand sanitizer to TT clubs and especially when traveling for this exact reason.

I couldn't agree more.  And that's just one of the few undesirable behaviors I see in that place, when it comes to ethics - but those are for another thread.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 12:36pm
Pet peeve of mine. If you are infectious stay home. Much more concerning than how you serve.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 1:03pm

Okay, thanks.  It makes more sense now, hearing that your opinions came from observation, and not actual experience. Clap
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 2:42pm

Okay, thanks.  It makes more sense now, hearing that your opinions came from observation, and not actual experience. Clap
Yes, my level of play is no where near national level of any country! Can only watch how it's done at the top!
Butterfly MPS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 5:37pm
[QUOTE=Baal]Pet peeve of mine. If you are infectious stay home. Much more concerning than how you serve.

Well yes, I think we can all agree than being infectious is even worse than being shown by your father, apparently a nationally ranked player, how to serve illegally, even though according to him this was done because his son wasn't feeling well.

One wonders...once this lad recovers, will his father teach him how to serve according to USATT and the ITTF rules of table tennis, or will he continue to serve illegally inasmuch as his peers may both serve illegally plus loopkill his legal serves halfway down to the road to God knows where?

bmann1942
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 8:55pm
I dont wonder. None of my business what this guy does with the kid. If he is serving illegally in a tournament call an umpire. Preferably one who is competent. Someone who is not convined that pendulum serves ruined the sport Even though nowadays you better have a reverse pendulum. Which incidentally is almost never hidden.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic