Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has Tenergy been surpassed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 8:40am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

i tried razka not long ago...that counts right?  I tried a xiom or two, but that's japanese made, right?

Yeah, but which Rakza? which Xiom? There's a marked difference in the grippiness & short game play of the new gen rubbers (RX, OVT, MX-P) vs the older ones. The new gen 47.5 deg rubbers are more chinese-like than Tenergy for sure.
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 8:55am
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

I think he's talking about 05/05fx.

My guess is he was talking about 64 and 05.

this is correct
i tried razka not long ago...that counts right?  I tried a xiom or two, but that's japanese made, right?

Both Rakza and Xiom are made in Germany.

Not my area of expertise, obviously.  I knew xiom was a Korean brand, but I didn't know who was making it.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

I am fully in the P7 camp. Fantastic rubber. I will soon be testing Tenzone Ultra SF, which I have very high expectations for.

It is indeed a very good rubber but very heavy - about 49-50-51 g weight of the cut sheet. That's way too much, if you ask me. But for some players, who are OK with heavier setups, it would be OK.

Also - as far as I recall - P7 is at least as expensive as Tenergy, sometimes (in some stores, I mean) even more expensive. Where is the point then, really?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 2:42pm
I've been using the same sheets of Xiom Omega IV Pro and Vega Europe for nearly a year, and they're still doing pretty good.  The Omega IV Pro definitely has some more catapult, but I've switched to using Vega Europe on the FH and have very much been liking how consistent my looping and blocking is at different speeds.

Paddle Palace gives Vega Europe very similar speed/spin ratings to Tenergy 05.  Of course that doesn't at all mean they have the same feel, but considering how well Vega Europe plays and its durability, I'd say its one of the best performance per dollar ones out there.  I beat lots of people using Tenergy all the time!  Smile

Edited by geardaddy - 02/27/2015 at 2:45pm
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

...but considering how well Vega Europe plays and its durability...
I found the durability of VE to be particularly bad though I did initially liked how it played. After about 8 weeks balls suddenly started to slip off the rubber (and fall into the net) when I tried to loop over the table. I switched to T05 and never looked back. Besides the feel that I like (which is a subjective thing)  it is more durable than the ESN rubbers I tried and in particular it does not seem to go bad overnight (like the VE) but it is more of a gradual decline. The T05 can be revived after a few month with a couple of layers of booster and you can plat it again for another 4-6 weeks. Whereas with ESN rubbers the topsheet wears out and then you can throw it in the trash.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 3:27pm
Tip for those looking to save some $ on BH rubber:

Xiom Omega V Europe.

The sponge is exactly the same hardness as T05 (I'm not basing this on reading somewhere - I actually compared 2 new sheets of T05 & XVE last night). However, the topsheet is softer (typical Xiom) giving it a distinctly softer feel.

So, in a way, it is like Tenergy 64 (in that it is a 45 deg sponge but plays softer than T05 due to the topsheet) but with better spin. I like it's soft topsheet feel for BH.

It's throw is similar to T64 & it spins better at the table though I like T64 slightly better for hitting / punching. The big difference is that on slow strokes, it isn't jumpy (like T64 is) and is better in the short game.

It is not jumpy like the Bluefire M series and IMHO, has a better topsheet than the JP series.

Not sure of durability but I'll update in a few months.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

I found the durability of VE to be particularly bad

Yes, me too. But it's quite an old ESN rubber. Current generations are much better for durability. For example....

Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Xiom Omega V Europe.

The sponge is exactly the same hardness as T05 (I'm not basing this on reading somewhere - I actually compared 2 new sheets of T05 & XVE last night). However, the topsheet is softer (typical Xiom) giving it a distinctly softer feel.

So, in a way, it is like Tenergy 64 (in that it is a 45 deg sponge but plays softer than T05 due to the topsheet) but with better spin. I like it's soft topsheet feel for BH.

OVE is a FANTASTIC rubber, and I'm always suggesting it as an alternative to T64 (along with Omega V Pro as an alternative to T05, which is more of a contentious opinion). I've had a few hours with Omega V Asia recently too, which is a fab rubber for loop driving (and the best ESN I've tried with the poly ball too).

The idea that Tenergy is some sort of peak for rubbers is outdated now. It has it's own definite unique properties for sure, and once you're used to it you'll struggle to find a direct replacement for the Tenergy feel, but in general performance terms it's no longer head and shoulders above everything else.

Surpassed though? I'm not sure that's the right way of looking at things. Personally, I play much better with modern ESN rubbers than any Tenergy, but it all comes down to technique (or lack of, in my case), play style and expectations. So for my needs yes - ESN has surpassed Tenergy in most of the criteria I use to select rubbers. But that's just a subjective personal opinion, and I'm sure many would disagree,

I think a general 2-wing looper could do just as well with lots of different rubbers as with Tenergy and save a stack of cash in the process.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 5:37pm

I am fully in the P7 camp. Fantastic rubber. I will soon be testing Tenzone Ultra SF, which I have very high expectations for.

It is indeed a very good rubber but very heavy - about 49-50-51 g weight of the cut sheet. That's way too much, if you ask me. But for some players, who are OK with heavier setups, it would be OK.

Also - as far as I recall - P7 is at least as expensive as Tenergy, sometimes (in some stores, I mean) even more expensive. Where is the point then, really?

TT Japan US dollar pricing: Shipping Air mail Registered tracking insured:  $39.43 PLUS SHIPPING $5.
PADDLE PALACE:  TENERGY:  $67.99

Tenzone TT Japan:  40.15 plus shipping

Both rubbers significantly cheaper then Tenergy....

$39.43

Edited by lineup32 - 02/27/2015 at 6:23pm
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 7:23pm
Vega europe died on me after 2.5 months of playing 3x/wk for 2-3hrs per session
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 8:50pm
I think what matters most is the distance a player plays from the table and the preferred hardness. I for example, was able to switch away from T05 to spin art once I realized I play only as far as mid distance and like hard sponge more.
In touch play you can control any rubber if you are used to it and ESN rubbers are much better than t05.
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 11:14pm
No way - I get Adidas P7 for a lot cheaper than Tenergy - normally can get it for 40 USD in Europe but managed to get it for around 30 USD from easter European shops (Polish, Romanian, Hungarian) 

Tenergy is fixed at what....60+ USD?

big difference in price, 

but price is not part of this argument - the point is.... to discuss whether other rubbers have surpassed it's properties or improved upon it, or whether another rubber with different properties may be better now.

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

No way - I get Adidas P7 for a lot cheaper than Tenergy - normally can get it for 40 USD in Europe but managed to get it for around 30 USD from easter European shops (Polish, Romanian, Hungarian) 

big difference in price, 

but price is not part of this argument - the point is.... to discuss whether other rubbers have surpassed it's properties or improved upon it, or whether another rubber with different properties may be better now.

Looks like too many Adiddas fan trying to derail the actual topic of concern - " Has tenergy been surpassed"   - Not really much in their prices Cry
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 1:13am
I really want to try p7 especially at 30 usd so tell me exactly where did you buy it?
I checked polish shop inters.pl and the price is 44,79 usd. shipping included. Romania doesn't have dealer for adidas and I can not understand Hungarian language.

big difference in price, 

Ciprian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciprian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 4:39am
Probably,for us  amateurs ,Tenergy has been surpassed by many rubbers but not for  pro players.
ANDRO Rasant been one of the rubber I've really enjoyed playing with it. The Evolution series from TIBHAR is very good and even CORNILLEAU has some very good  rubbers , quite underrated brand, imo. 
The only Tenergys I like  are T05 for its spin and T05fx for its control. Unfortunately all good rubbers are expensive for me . I wouldn't pay more than 30$ for a rubber.
Xi Enting
FH-Aurus Sound
BH- Pryde 30
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 5:19am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

Tenergy is still VERY VERY different than anything else. T05 and T64 feel very different, one going straight and the other curving like crazy, and yet they both feel like tenergy. Same great top sheet bite, same unique sponge sling.
I don't know about surpassing, and it depends on personal preference, but one thing is 100% sure: you remove Tenergy from the market, and there will be a big hole. No, there are no clones yet, nothing feels like tenergy. 

completely agree with that.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 6:53am
Ive yet to come across a rubber with more potential the Tenergy (05 for me), but Im not good enough to fulfil the rubbers potential. Just got back home from my first session with Gewo NanoFlex 40, which suited me as Well as Tenergy. Not the same crazy amount of spin on the few "perfect" looks as T05, but good enough spin and overall easier to play with, for me.
The holy grail
JonathanVN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 9:27am
I do not think that Tenergy has been surpassed. Typically when I am warming up before the start of a match, players will say, "Are you playing with a Tenergy rubber?" Thus, Tenergy's sweet spot and power can be recognized by players almost instantly. I doubt that any other rubber can yield the same results. 

Furthermore, I actually recently tested out the Andro Rasant Turbo rubber that a friend from my club had been wielding. I was utterly shocked when I discovered how weak the shots were and how dead the rubber seemed, even though it was only a few weeks old. With that being said, I think Rasant is a quality rubber, and the Razka 7 and Hurricane Neo series are comparable as well. However, saying that Tenergy has been surpassed seems like an erroneous statement at this point in time. 
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
siestakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siestakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by adishorul adishorul wrote:

I really want to try p7 especially at 30 usd so tell me exactly where did you buy it?
I checked polish shop inters.pl and the price is 44,79 usd. shipping included. Romania doesn't have dealer for adidas and I can not understand Hungarian language.

big difference in price, 

Siesta Key
W968
Omega Tour 7 i
siestakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siestakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 2:03pm
 Modest.com.pl has it at $37.
Siesta Key
W968
Omega Tour 7 i
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by JonathanVN JonathanVN wrote:

I do not think that Tenergy has been surpassed. Typically when I am warming up before the start of a match, players will say, "Are you playing with a Tenergy rubber?" Thus, Tenergy's sweet spot and power can be recognized by players almost instantly. I doubt that any other rubber can yield the same results. 

Furthermore, I actually recently tested out the Andro Rasant Turbo rubber that a friend from my club had been wielding. I was utterly shocked when I discovered how weak the shots were and how dead the rubber seemed, even though it was only a few weeks old. With that being said, I think Rasant is a quality rubber, and the Razka 7 and Hurricane Neo series are comparable as well. However, saying that Tenergy has been surpassed seems like an erroneous statement at this point in time. 

I can't imagine any recent higher-$ ESN product is "weak" esp when it comes to speed/elasticity.

They just don't have the same surface friction, which some of the commenters above claim is addressed in a few of the very latest.
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by adishorul adishorul wrote:

I got mine from a tiny retail outlet in Hungary, but a friend gets them equally cheap from retail outlets in poland.

The cheapest online I have found is this Hungarian site, which some times has CRAZY offers... Obviously shipping within Europe is a lot cheaper than shipping to the US.

http://asztalitenisz-pingpong.hu/ 
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
JonathanVN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 11:00pm

I can't imagine any recent higher-$ ESN product is "weak" esp when it comes to speed/elasticity.

They just don't have the same surface friction, which some of the commenters above claim is addressed in a few of the very latest.

Well, please note that I never said the rubber in totality was "weak." I am simply saying that in terms of power, some of the counter drives are not nearly as powerful as Tenergy's. I believe that Rasant and similar rubbers are very strong in certain regards, juts not strong enough to surpass Tenergy. 
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 3:12am
The answer is no for me. I used to believe Tenergy wasn't necessarily the best rubber, that's why I've tried countless number of other rubbers: Rasant, Rasant Turbo, Rakza 7, Tibhar Evolution el-p, xiom OVT, Acuda S1, etc. I had high hope for each of them and tried each for at least one or two months, but in the end, I went back to Tenergy and I realized none of the other rubbers I tried gave me the consistency that Tenergy gives me. Now I'm using T80 and I don't think I will try another rubber on my Fh until there is a new rubber become as popular among the pros as Tenergy.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 7:37am
Originally posted by balldance balldance wrote:

The answer is no for me. I used to believe Tenergy wasn't necessarily the best rubber, that's why I've tried countless number of other rubbers: Rasant, Rasant Turbo, Rakza 7, Tibhar Evolution el-p, xiom OVT, Acuda S1, etc. I had high hope for each of them and tried each for at least one or two months, but in the end, I went back to Tenergy and I realized none of the other rubbers I tried gave me the consistency that Tenergy gives me. Now I'm using T80 and I don't think I will try another rubber on my Fh until there is a new rubber become as popular among the pros as Tenergy.

So are you using Tenergy because it gives you consistency or because it is popular among the pros? Because your last statement somewhat contradicts the second last.
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 8:56am

so if the pro's start all using rakza 7, then you'll use that?

Click the picture for feedback ^
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 2:47pm

Now I'm using T80 and I don't think I will try another rubber on my Fh until there is a new rubber become as popular among the pros as Tenergy.

Perhaps balldance is simply thinking that if another rubber becomes more popular amongst the pros its because its actually better then Tenergy? If so, then I agree. Dont think balldance uses Tenergy because the pros use it, he probably uses it because he have found it to be the best rubber for him?
The holy grail
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 2:58pm

Well, please note that I never said the rubber in totality was "weak." I am simply saying that in terms of power, some of the counter drives are not nearly as powerful as Tenergy's. I believe that Rasant and similar rubbers are very strong in certain regards, juts not strong enough to surpass Tenergy. 

ESN is elastic enough, just not enough topsheet grip for fwd/high-throw drives that still dip.
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2015 at 3:02am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

So are you using Tenergy because it gives you consistency or because it is popular among the pros? Because your last statement somewhat contradicts the second last.

I'm tired of trying different rubbers. I think Tenergy (T80) is the best rubber for me at the present. And it needs to be a really special rubber to make me want to try replacing Tenergy again. And if all the pros replaces Tenergy with something else, I think it has to be something special, so I will give it a try, if I find it better than Tenergy, I will use it, otherwise, I'll keep using Tenergy. I don't choose a rubber because it's popular, I will try it and decide myself.
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2015 at 5:03pm
As I have stated before, imo P7 offers a better spin/speed/control ratio than the Tenergies that I have played with (T80/T64/T05fx), realizing that some very offensive players may find the P7 a tad too slow. 

I have now had a chance to test the Adidas Tenzone Ultra SF (~8h). If you are used to P7, you will be able to adjust to this rubber quite easily. Compared to P7 it is less tacky, and has slightly less spin and slightly lower throw. It is 10% faster, lighter, and has a louder sound when looping (due to the slightly softer sponge??).

In conclusion - if you have been playing with P7 and wishing for a tad more speed, without sacrificing (much) control and spin, this is your rubber.      
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2015 at 5:27pm
I've said this elsewhere and people look at me puzzled - there is only one real rubber and that is Tenergy 05.  MX-P and a few others with significant topsheet grip come close, but the bottom line is whether after a few points of spin building up, you trust your rubber to still be able to handle the level of topspin in the rally. That's why most pros can't use other stuff.  Of course, below that level, you can just about anything and the gains in control etc. are helpful.  Tacky stuff is the stuff that competes with Tenergy 05 for topsheet grip.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic