Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The best new long pimple?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Madridwalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madridwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best new long pimple?
    Posted: 03/04/2015 at 12:28pm
I playing curl p4  1.0 and i think to change this rubber. I playing modern defensive and my bh it olny choping, looping and also atack. So i choose this rubbers:

Grass d.tec 0.5
donic spike p1 0.5
curl p1-r 0.5

I want big rotations in chooping vs topspin . My blade is BTf Joo sea Hyuk
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 12:46pm
Curl P1-r is king when it comes purely for heavy SPIN on chops and Grass D.tecs is king when it comes purely for high SPEED on chops. Make your decision through that.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 12:48pm
You also have grass defensive sponge...a good combination between the p1R and the grass
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madridwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 12:55pm
difirent between p4 and p1-r and grass are big ?
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Curl P1-r is king when it comes purely for heavy SPIN on chops and Grass D.tecs is king when it comes purely for high SPEED on chops. Make your decision through that.
i get the heavy spin part but could you elaborate on the speed part? 
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

Well, for many high level defenders, heavy spin on chops isn't always ideal. Take a player like Joo Saehyuk for example. Of course he's capable of producing every variety of chops under the sun but for the most part, his primary chop is a more "offensive" chop. These chops are executed as fast as possible in an effort to prevent the opponent from having enough time to attack, have less time to read the exact amount of spin on the ball, and to create a pop up if the opponent tries push this chop.

Both Curl P1-r and Grass D.tecs are very versatile rubbers and are capable of doing every kind of chop. Though in the case of D.tecs, it's just a flat out faster rubber. This is especially the case because it has a tensor sponge.

D.tecs with a 1.6mm sponge has been referred to as "The Beast" for this reason. Like I said, both rubbers are excellent chopping weapons. If you want easier variety, easier ability for high spin on chops, and overall more control, go for Curl P1-r. If you want a faster and more "powerful" chop and faster attacking capability close to the table, as long as you recognize this will be harder to control, go for Grass D.tecs.

In my opinion, Curl P1-r is the better choice for chopping for most people. If you happen to be in the ITTF top 200, either one can work. This is a bit of an exaggeration/generality but I say it to make my point more clear.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 3:00pm

Well, for many high level defenders, heavy spin on chops isn't always ideal. Take a player like Joo Saehyuk for example. Of course he's capable of producing every variety of chops under the sun but for the most part, his primary chop is a more "offensive" chop. These chops are executed as fast as possible in an effort to prevent the opponent from having enough time to attack, have less time to read the exact amount of spin on the ball, and to create a pop up if the opponent tries push this chop.

Both Curl P1-r and Grass D.tecs are very versatile rubbers and are capable of doing every kind of chop. Though in the case of D.tecs, it's just a flat out faster rubber. This is especially the case because it has a tensor sponge.

D.tecs with a 1.6mm sponge has been referred to as "The Beast" for this reason. Like I said, both rubbers are excellent chopping weapons. If you want easier variety, easier ability for high spin on chops, and overall more control, go for Curl P1-r. If you want a faster and more "powerful" chop and faster attacking capability close to the table, as long as you recognize this will be harder to control, go for Grass D.tecs.

In my opinion, Curl P1-r is the better choice for chopping for most people. If you happen to be in the ITTF top 200, either one can work. This is a bit of an exaggeration/generality but I say it to make my point more clear.

i think dtects is no longer dangerous with the new ball as posted by pushblocker
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

i think dtects is no longer dangerous with the new ball as posted by pushblocker

Close to the table pushblocking with long pips and no sponge is a very different game than mid-long distance chopping with a thick sponge. I'm sure he's totally right that the new ball hurts a pushblocking style a lot. However, everything I said still applies to a sponged long pip chopping game.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 4:10pm

Using D.Tecs or any LP for "speed" in chopping makes no sense unless maybe OP is high level, and I suspect anyone pondering between the quite different dtecs and p1r isn't.

Also D.tecs doesn't come in anything thinner than 1.2, and 1.2 under already bouncy LP is very hard to control. Chopping w/ the OX is possible but not easy to add any spin because it's a slippery reversal pip.

The P4 he's using is supposedly already more grippy than the fairly grippy P1r. Feint Long 3 is also supposedly grippy but I haven't used it. If someone needs more grip and has the skill they can use SP or inverted.

Edited by AgentHEX - 03/04/2015 at 4:13pm
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 4:15pm

This man knows his stuff. Joo Sae Hyuk said he bases his backhand rubber , based on the table.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 4:27pm
It's also impractical for club level defenders who have more trouble getting loopdrives back on the table reliably. There's no way any <2k defender can consistently get anything back with Dtecs 1.2.

The claim about fast chops is kinda suspect given a chop is always going to be substantially slower than any loop which these guys train all day for. If anything chops tend to mess with timing by being off-speed.
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Also D.tecs doesn't come in anything thinner than 1.2
That is incorrect, it now also comes in 0.5 and 0.9. But I do agree with the rest you are saying.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 4:55pm

Using D.Tecs or any LP for "speed" in chopping makes no sense unless maybe OP is high level, and I suspect anyone pondering between the quite different dtecs and p1r isn't.

It's also impractical for club level defenders who have more trouble getting loopdrives back on the table reliably. There's no way any <2k defender can consistently get anything back with Dtecs 1.2.

The claim about fast chops is kinda suspect given a chop is always going to be substantially slower than any loop which these guys train all day for. If anything chops tend to mess with timing by being off-speed.

If you look at the bottom of where I elaborated I already stated that about being high level.

Also, OF COURSE any chop is never going to be faster than a good attack. I never meant for it to be interpreted that way. However, not all chops are created equal. Some chops are faster than others and some chops are spinnier than others. Combine those various techniques in chopping with a rubber more suited for one or the other and it becomes apparent. Like I said, Grass D.Tecs is a just a flat out faster rubber.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 5:12pm
> That is incorrect, it now also comes in 0.5 and 0.9.

Where would you get it? Not available at Tabletennis11 or any of the foreign outlets, and all "out-of-stock" at paddlepalace (I suspect they never had any).

> Combine those various techniques in chopping with a rubber more suited for one or the other and it becomes apparent.

The trickery isn't from speed, it's from off-speed messing with opponent timing. It's harder to reduce speed on chops than add speed so unless someone is already at high level (how many high level defenders are there here?) it's misleading to give advice only applicable there.

Edited by AgentHEX - 03/04/2015 at 5:13pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 6:06pm

> That is incorrect, it now also comes in 0.5 and 0.9.

Where would you get it? Not available at Tabletennis11 or any of the foreign outlets, and all "out-of-stock" at paddlepalace (I suspect they never had any).
All the stores in Germany seem to carry it as for example:

OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 6:10pm

> ... It's harder to reduce speed on chops than add speed so unless someone is already at high level (how many high level defenders are there here?) it's misleading to give advice only applicable there.

It isn't misleading at all given that his post clearly referred to top 200 type of players and closed by with another comment that the slower rubber would be the rubber of choice for the vast majority of regular players.  

If you really want to take issue, you might argue the relevance.  But the post wasn't misleading at all.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

> ... It's harder to reduce speed on chops than add speed so unless someone is already at high level (how many high level defenders are there here?) it's misleading to give advice only applicable there.

It isn't misleading at all given that his post clearly referred to top 200 type of players and closed by with another comment that the slower rubber would be the rubber of choice for the vast majority of regular players.  

If you really want to take issue, you might argue the relevance.  But the post wasn't misleading at all.

Thanks. I usually try to be as straightforward as possible to avoid confusion but sometimes it happens anyway.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 3:05am
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

> ... It's harder to reduce speed on chops than add speed so unless someone is already at high level (how many high level defenders are there here?) it's misleading to give advice only applicable there.

If you really want to take issue, you might argue the relevance.  But the post wasn't misleading at all.

Sure, with statements like:

> Like I said, both rubbers are excellent chopping weapons. If you want easier variety, easier ability for high spin on chops, and overall more control, go for Curl P1-r.

Which is in any case puzzling given OP wants more spin and both P1-r and esp. D.tecs are less grip than P4.

An aside but nonetheless important point--most people reading these forums for equipment advice aren't even upper club level nevermind anywhere near top 200, and tend to take it as one-size-fits-all or at least something they can grow into.

I'm been PMed before by those seek specific advice and they invariably conclude after trying more controllable gear that most forum recommendations are wholly unsuitable for those who come across these topics in search for assistance.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 5:21am
It seems it is you that hasn't contributed anything useful to this discussion Agenthex, and furthermore you're derailing this discussion by questioning the good advice of others.

Back on topic, I think GeneralSpecific's advice is excellent. The P-1r probably returns the most backspin, whereas the P-4 allows you to generate a bit more spin. The P-4 has a very soft sponge, whereas the P1-r feels quite firm, so if you're thinking of changing to p-1r, I think 0.5mm is a good choice.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 5:39am
> It seems it is you that hasn't contributed anything useful to this discussion Agenthex

Everyone can figure for themselves whether advice for world top-200 or something more suitable for those not quite there is more useful to this discussion.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 5:51am
The best long pips for me are Meteorite made by Giant Dragon.
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 7:03am
I don't know for modern defense but I do like Spinlord Sternenfall for blocking. I still prefer Giant Dragon Dragon Talon, but Sternenfall is great, especially for those blockers who like to attack. Great for attacking.
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
macpoddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macpoddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 11:03am
Grass dtecs was an amazing rubber for the celluloid ball. Grass was great for chop blockers close to table. Was the Most disruptive and had incredible spin reversal. But with the new plastic ball it is not as affective. If you are a chopper mid distance then curl p1r hands down is the best rubber. Has more gears. But you need full chopping strokes. I mean you have to chop at 180 degrees with full strokes and the rubber will shine. If you are playing 2100 or under you are still good with dtecs. But anything higher I would recommend p1r.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madridwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 11:17am
This is my game : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htulT4gn5UI
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

I don't know for modern defense but I do like Spinlord Sternenfall for blocking. I still prefer Giant Dragon Dragon Talon, but Sternenfall is great, especially for those blockers who like to attack. Great for attacking.
Where the heck do you even buy Spinlord?
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 11:45am

Sure, with statements like:

> Like I said, both rubbers are excellent chopping weapons. If you want easier variety, easier ability for high spin on chops, and overall more control, go for Curl P1-r.

Many single statements can be excerpted from posts and series of posts and be made to appear misleading. Statements can also be misleading if one doesn't read the thread.  But that's the reader's fault, not the fault of the poster.

Which is in any case puzzling given OP wants more spin and both P1-r and esp. D.tecs are less grip than P4. 
Like I said, if anything, the criticism of the posts would be over relevance.

I'm been PMed before by those seek specific advice and they invariably conclude after trying more controllable gear that most forum recommendations are wholly unsuitable for those who come across these topics in search for assistance.

I play hardbat.  I'm the poster child for advocating controllable (and inexpensive) gear.

GeneralSpecifics's comments seemed pretty much in line with the notion of advocating controllable gear even if he isn't making the specific recommendation you think is best.

Edited by wturber - 03/05/2015 at 11:47am
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 11:57am
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Where the heck do you even buy Spinlord?

My Feedback
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 12:23pm
(Jay)  I play hardbat.  I'm the poster child for advocating controllable (and inexpensive) gear.

I'm also a poster child for advocating controllable, inexpensive, and in addition undoctorable gear (no boosters, tuners, speed glue, denser tensor, no epoxidized pips, no nuthin' [well, maybe a cloth backing]).  And we know, though blush to admit it, what that means, subject to ITTF approval except in events where ITTF approval is not necessary.

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madridwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 12:41pm
So .. i don't know what i should buy: Anyone play spike p1 ?
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Madridwalker Madridwalker wrote:

So .. i don't know what i should buy: Anyone play spike p1 ?

Palio CK531A is great for blocking and attack .. Inexpensive too !

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 03/05/2015 at 2:34pm
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic