Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Liu Guoliang comment on CNT's equipment adjustment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liu Guoliang comment on CNT's equipment adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tazdevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazdevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Liu Guoliang comment on CNT's equipment adjustment
    Posted: 03/18/2015 at 9:49am
I don't think it is news that Ma Long has switched, seems that others are making some adjustments during the internal tryout back in February as well (according to March edition of Ping Pong magazine from China):
- Ma Long switching to National Hurricane on BH
- Liu Shiwen switching to Chinese rubber on BH
- Zhu Yuling enlarging racket area(?)
- No adjustments from Zhang Jike yet

Sponsored Links

JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 10:11am
Originally posted by tazdevil tazdevil wrote:

I don't think it is news that Ma Long has switched, seems that others are making some adjustments during the internal tryout back in February as well (according to March edition of Ping Pong magazine from China):
- Ma Long switching to National Hurricane on BH
- Liu Shiwen switching to Chinese rubber on BH
- Zhu Yuling enlarging racket area(?)
- No adjustments from Zhang Jike yet

i think many of them is still trying to find their footing with the new ball… 
while all the EJing are intriguing but non of the switches has proven its merits yet… 
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 10:16am
I think XX and ML both had great results after the switch. Fact.

Now, for whatever personal opinion is worth, i find their backhands in particular a little stronger as well. I think chinese rubber BH encourages confidence strokes. It doesn't work as well as tenergy with half-ass shot.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

Now, for whatever personal opinion is worth, i find their backhands in particular a little stronger as well. I think chinese rubber BH encourages confidence strokes. It doesn't work as well as tenergy with half-ass shot.

It's early days, but it looks positive.  I guess their BH rubbers are heavily boosted, so it's not quite like an amateur slapping a sheet of commercial H3 on their BH, but I can see the merits of a tacky/hard rubber to deal with the new ball.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 11:12am

I think they had good results... but xx was upset recently by Niwa and lsw was upset by ftw both after the switch... So only time will tell the merit of having a Chinese rubber bh with the new ball
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 11:34am
I saw a XX picture at ITTF Asian Cup, sponge was looking like Tenergy again.. However the picture is not that clear...

Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 12:57pm
I read on a few chinese forums that dhs has broken the spring sponge down, and are manufacturing their own spring sponge with a slightly newer top-sheet for  bh. Unfortunately, it's not for sale :/

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 5:50pm
I had a discussion with Stellan Bengtsson over in San Diego about equipment adjustments for the new ball, and he told me he believes that harder sponged rubbers will be favored because the plastic ball does not depress as much on impact as the celluloid ball did, meaning softer sponges will bottom out more easily than before as the plastic ball is more rigid.  This theory seems to be true with the amount of overhitting that seems to be happening with a lot of players since the switch.

That said, his theory seems to go hand in hand with some of the chinese players moving away from tenergy on their backhands to harder sponged chinese rubbers.

edit:

and I assume by Zhu Yuling "enlarging the racket area" means a switch to an oversized racket.  I've always liked oversized blades, and maybe Zhu Yuling wants a bigger sweet spot to cope with the erratic bounce of seamed plastic balls that ITTF tournaments must use?

Edited by schen - 03/18/2015 at 5:55pm
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

It's early days, but it looks positive.  I guess their BH rubbers are heavily boosted, so it's not quite like an amateur slapping a sheet of commercial H3 on their BH, but I can see the merits of a tacky/hard rubber to deal with the new ball.

Even those boosted H3s aren't as fast as boosted tenergy, and also tends to make them softer anyway (not that hardness is particularly relevant here).

What you replied to is pretty much correct; better control from a rubber promotes confidence. That's why most amateurs with pro setups they can't really swing with are substantially crippling themselves, and apparently it evidently extends all the way up.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Even those boosted H3s aren't as fast as boosted tenergy, and also tends to make them softer anyway (not that hardness is particularly relevant here).

What you replied to is pretty much correct; better control from a rubber promotes confidence. That's why most amateurs with pro setups they can't really swing with are substantially crippling themselves, and apparently it evidently extends all the way up.

So....why are the CNT members changing now? Surely the extra confidence would have been useful prior to the arrival of the plastic ball? Or is the extra confidence a crutch to help while adjusting?
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 6:22pm
Sometimes these things are just coincidental, or maybe new ball prompted revisiting the subject. It was certainly the right time to do it for the "old guard" with pressure from new talent on the team before the big games coming up.

Xu Xin's BH has always lacked commitment so it makes sense they experiment with it anyway, and it also makes sense to apply any positive outcomes to ML whose BH is also safer relative to his teammates esp the upcoming FZD.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 6:39pm
It's possible I suppose. I doubt it was raw coincidence, but the ball change could have used as an excuse to deal with long standing issues. Impossible to know for sure, but the early results are impressive. I'm really looking forward to seeing ML and XX under pressure at the German Open.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 6:47pm
The rubbers differ significantly more than the quite marginal gaps on ball speed/spin and whatnot, but most of all it doesn't make any sense to use a slower rubber to compensate for a slower ball.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 6:50pm
I don't think it's as simple as raw speed, but I know better to get a conversation going with you on any subject. Nice chat.
panany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 6:51pm
my friend play in chinese national team say me ... somes player try h8 national blue sponge 
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 7:00pm

I don't think it's as simple as raw speed, but I know better to get a conversation going with you on any subject. Nice chat.

National H3's are more similar to Tenergy than commercial counterparts (less tacky, etc).

If anything Tenergy's soft gummy topsheet is a departure from traditional butterfly rubber and almost an attempt to capture some of special H3's characteristics.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 7:42pm

National H3's are more similar to Tenergy than commercial counterparts (less tacky, etc).

If anything Tenergy's soft gummy topsheet is a departure from traditional butterfly rubber and almost an attempt to capture some of special H3's characteristics.

If you don't know what the heck you are talking about you should shut your pipe right now AgentHEX.  Ma Lin's former national team training partner Wang Xiao Dong stayed with us at LATTA for six months and brought a stash of National H3's with him, which we were selling for $80 each.  They are as tacky as any commercial version.  You can invert the paddle and pick up the ball easily from the tack.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 11:38pm
Now I heard that XX's BH is actually Tenergy sponge and Hurricane topsheet. That would explain the picture somebody here posted. 
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

If you don't know what the heck you are talking about you should shut your pipe right now AgentHEX.  Ma Lin's former national team training partner Wang Xiao Dong stayed with us at LATTA for six months and brought a stash of National H3's with him, which we were selling for $80 each.  They are as tacky as any commercial version.  You can invert the paddle and pick up the ball easily from the tack.
I'm with AgentHex. H3 National topsheet is different from commercial. More consistent, more porous/flexible, loses tack after a few days, but doesn't slip. The commercial H3 feels like they took a piece of plastic and sprayed chemicals on it(I'm exaggerating, but you get it). H3 National feels very much like Tenergy. In fact, my friends that use H3 national think it is the Tenergy sponge. The national sponge looks and feels like Tenergy. 
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2015 at 12:30am
Even the Provincial H3 that I'm sure many here are familiar with are a distinct level up from regular commercial, w/ similar less tack. National is IMO like a highly polished Provincial.

Serious players in first world countries using H3 definitely worth springing for Prov.

Edited by AgentHEX - 03/19/2015 at 12:31am
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2015 at 12:48am
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

I'm with AgentHex. H3 National topsheet is different from commercial. More consistent, more porous/flexible, loses tack after a few days, but doesn't slip. The commercial H3 feels like they took a piece of plastic and sprayed chemicals on it(I'm exaggerating, but you get it). H3 National feels very much like Tenergy. In fact, my friends that use H3 national think it is the Tenergy sponge. The national sponge looks and feels like Tenergy. 

Better quality top sheet than the cheapo H3's sure, but it's nothing like Tenergy's top sheet.  Whoever is paying top dollar for the National version is paying for its limited-production sponge.
BTW the National H3 does NOT feel like Tenergy.  Wink

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2015 at 1:03am

My provincial H3 is also just the same, just a bit less tack than the commercial. The sponge is 1 degree or so softer.
I would say that there is nothing special about provincial which you cannot get by adding a very thin additional layer of boost on commercial.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2015 at 1:10am
If your prov is the same it's possibly fake. Legit prov looks more like a good Yinhe rubber and only a step back from Butterfly/ESN type quality out of the pack.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2015 at 2:14am

Exactly.  I get good spin from Big Dipper on the BH wing and the main reason I switch to Big Dipper was because I could spin the ball better than with Tenergy with DHS/Joola balls.  If we were still using the celluloid ball, I would still be using Tenergy.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2015 at 2:23am
Rubbers akin to Big Dipper have always had more spin/grip to speed ratio than Tenergy.
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2015 at 8:31pm
Confirm xx surely play with tenergy in Kuwait open and last tournament, I captured pic too
tazdevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazdevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 11:40am
Originally posted by jomtack jomtack wrote:

Confirm xx surely play with tenergy in Kuwait open and last tournament, I captured pic too

You are right, this is Wu Jingping's comments on Xu Xin's recent rubber change, according to this article, XX is using Tenergy 05 (and Wu also mentioned that Xu Xin would be more focused on RPB as the trial of using traditional chinese block didn't seem very effective for the past 0.5 years).

Also added the another article from the same issue of the magazine.

Edited by tazdevil - 04/16/2015 at 3:27pm
john18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 12:54pm
Yeah, it's true that XX used a lot more TPB than before in the past months. So it was a trial ?
It seems that Ma Long is back to T05 too ?

Edited by john18 - 04/16/2015 at 12:54pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 1:13pm
WJP says that the Hurricane 3 for RPB is simply no good when it comes to defense, so they decided to add TPB back in.  XX can only attack with it, but T05 can both attack and defend.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 1:21pm
Tenergy has the last laugh...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic