FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Rules Question: Racquet handle composition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rules Question: Racquet handle composition
    Posted: 03/24/2015 at 4:22am
TT rules state 85% of the racquet must be composed of natural wood. Does this also mean 85% of the handle also has to be made of wood? or can the handle be make of any material?

Thanks in advance

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Sponsored Links

dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 10:15am
I believe not because it doesn't affect ball rebound (significantly).
In that case WRB, Kinetic (Andro), weight modifications, rubber grip tapes would be questionable.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 11:30am
I believe the rule says 85% of the blade. You might want to double check.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

I believe what I read said racket - I would think it's the blade and the plys but just wanted to confirm it with the qualified officials.
Butterfly MPS
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

I believe what I read said racket - I would think it's the blade and the plys but just wanted to confirm it with the qualified officials.

I'm not sure what you read, but the ITTF rules regarding the racket (not including issues regarding the covering) are as follows. These are fairly straightforward.  In the end, however, the final determinant of a racket's legality is the tournament referee.  If you have a racket that you think might be illegal, check with the referee ahead of time to be safe.   That said, rule 2.4.1 to make it pretty clear that it is open season on the handle design, material and construction.

2.4.1 The racket may be of any size, shape or weight but the blade shall be flat and rigid. 

2.4.2 At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood; an adhesive layer within the blade may be reinforced with fibrous material such as carbon fibre, glass fibre or compressed paper, but shall not be thicker than 7.5% of the total thickness or 0.35mm, whichever is the smaller. 

2.4.5 The blade, any layer within the blade and any layer of covering material or adhesive on a side used for striking the ball shall be continuous and of even thickness. 

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 2:11pm
Is cork considered wood (stupid question) because.. jpens. 
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 2:56pm

I'm not sure what you read, but the ITTF rules regarding the racket (not including issues regarding the covering) are as follows. These are fairly straightforward.  In the end, however, the final determinant of a racket's legality is the tournament referee.  If you have a racket that you think might be illegal, check with the referee ahead of time to be safe.   That said, rule 2.4.1 to make it pretty clear that it is open season on the handle design, material and construction.

2.4.1 The racket may be of any size, shape or weight but the blade shall be flat and rigid. 

2.4.2 At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood; an adhesive layer within the blade may be reinforced with fibrous material such as carbon fibre, glass fibre or compressed paper, but shall not be thicker than 7.5% of the total thickness or 0.35mm, whichever is the smaller. 

2.4.5 The blade, any layer within the blade and any layer of covering material or adhesive on a side used for striking the ball shall be continuous and of even thickness. 

Thanks Jay....that's pretty clear
Note to self - Don't read the rules at 3am!
Butterfly MPS
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

Is cork considered wood (stupid question) because.. jpens. 

I don't know. I gave up trying to find out if bamboo was.  But as it regards jpens, the question isn't really relevant.  That cork would be argued/considered to be a part of the handle.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 9:20pm

Thanks Jay....that's pretty clear
Note to self - Don't read the rules at 3am!

Yep.  3am is generally not a good time to be posting or doing anything that demands attention to detail.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic